+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my Certified Copies be returned?

anichri

Sep 8, 2016
Hello all!

I am applying for Canadian Citizenship for my 2 US born children. I was born in BC. My eldest was born in 2007 and my youngest in 2015. I have completed the CIT-0001, got citizenship pictures, completed the application, paid the fees and gathered all my documents. I would like to send off the application by Monday, but before I do I wanted to find out if I will get my certified copies back. I am sending both of their birth certificates and my BC birth certificate. Do I need to include a self address stamped envelope or will they send them back with the certificates once issued?

Thanks!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Sounds like you are applying for proof of citizenship for your children. You will not be getting anything back from CIC. That is why they ask you provide photocopies of originals.

anichri

Sep 8, 2016
screech339 said:
Sounds like you are applying for proof of citizenship for your children. You will not be getting anything back from CIC. That is why they ask you provide photocopies of originals.
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't say photocopies of originals, it says "certified copy". Is a certified copy just a notarized photo copy (of their birth certificates and my BC birth certificate)?

I guess I am confused because in USA when a certified copy is requested, you have to get the certified copy from Vital Records, you can't get just go out and get a photocopy notarized, it won't suffice.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
anichri said:
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't say photocopies of originals, it says "certified copy". Is a certified copy just a notarized photo copy (of their birth certificates and my BC birth certificate)?

I guess I am confused because in USA when a certified copy is requested, you have to get the certified copy from Vital Records, you can't get just go out and get a photocopy notarized, it won't suffice.
They must have changed it since I submitted proof of citizenship for my children. I was only required to submit photocopies of documents.

Certified copies are photocopies of documents notarized by notary or lawyer. You basically show them the photocopy of document and original document in which the copy was made. They observed the documents to ensure that it is a copy of original document. Then they notarized the copy.

Do not send in originals with application. They will keep all documents and none will be returned. The only original to send in is the citizenship certificate for replacement.

I was able to notarize photocopies of US birth certificate without any issues. Not sure why you think you would have a problem.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
They must have changed it since I submitted proof of citizenship for my children. I was only required to submit photocopies of documents.

Certified copies are photocopies of documents notarized by notary or lawyer. You basically show them the photocopy of document and original document in which the copy was made. They observed the documents to ensure that it is a copy of original document. Then they notarized the copy.

Do not send in originals with application. They will keep all documents and none will be returned. The only original to send in is the citizenship certificate for replacement.

I was able to notarize photocopies of US birth certificate without any issues. Not sure why you think you would have a problem.
I also think it could be a problem, because notaries public in some U.S. states are prohibited from declaring that a document (especially a vital record) is a true copy of the original. Look here to see if it is possible where you live: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy If you cannot have your documents certified by a notary, you will likely just have to send the originals and then order replacements.

Note, however, that some sites state that IRCC will accept copies that have been certified by persons in certain professions. (See, for example: http://www.immigroup.com/news/what-are-certified-copies) Whether this will or will not work for a proof of citizenship application, I don't know.

santoki

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2012
AOR Received.
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
02-02-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
17-12-2012
So to clarify, you don't need to submit notarized photocopies of the documents they ask for, right?

For example they ask for the following:

- Photocopy of both sides of PR Card
- Photocopy of diploma or transcripts from either secondary or post-secondary institution
- Photocopy of biographical page of passport
- Photocopy of both sides of two pieces of ID

I had assumed you just make a simple photocopy of these documents and send them in as part of your application. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

anichri

Sep 8, 2016
alphazip said:
I also think it could be a problem, because notaries public in some U.S. states are prohibited from declaring that a document (especially a vital record) is a true copy of the original. Look here to see if it is possible where you live. If you cannot have your documents certified by a notary, you will likely just have to send the originals and then order replacements.

Note, however, that some sites state that IRCC will accept copies that have been certified by persons in certain professions. Whether this will or will not work for a proof of citizenship application, I don't know.
Thanks! This is so tricky. I went with a notary, which was on the list in the second link you send me, so I REALLY hope we are good. I sent my kids apps on Sept 12th and they were delivered on the 15th. Looks like the AOR time frame is about 2-3 weeks right now so I'm now sitting here, impatiently waiting! ::) Really hoping we are okay here...

anichri

Sep 8, 2016
santoki said:
So to clarify, you don't need to submit notarized photocopies of the documents they ask for, right?

For example they ask for the following:

- Photocopy of both sides of PR Card
- Photocopy of diploma or transcripts from either secondary or post-secondary institution
- Photocopy of biographical page of passport
- Photocopy of both sides of two pieces of ID

I had assumed you just make a simple photocopy of these documents and send them in as part of your application. Is there anything else that needs to be done?
For the items that said just a photocopy was needed, I didn't notarize those. I only notarized the items where certified copies are requested (birth certificates for example).

canadavisa22

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anichri said:
For the items that said just a photocopy was needed, I didn't notarize those. I only notarized the items where certified copies are requested (birth certificates for example).
The birth certificates were for your children I'm assuming? I don't have any...it's just for myself.

anichri

Sep 8, 2016
canadavisa22 said:
The birth certificates were for your children I'm assuming? I don't have any...it's just for myself.
Yes, I had to submit one for each child, then one for myself (since I was born in British Columbia).