+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will my autistic kid be rejected for the canadian citizenship ?

lidiajia

Dec 14, 2012
[size=10pt]hi, everyone. i'm mom of an autistic boy. we're about submit the citizenship application. but i'm wondering whether i need to fill in the "special needs" part of the applcation form of my son. I've searched online and found several news about the rejection of the citizenship or PR due to the child's autism. The reason given by the CIC is" the excessive demand the applicants would place on the country's public services ".

Is there anyon who can tell me what I'm supposed do ? I want to fill in the application forms honestly that my son is autistic, but I'm relly afraid that the CIC may reject my son's application. If I put nothing on that special nees box, will the CIC find out that my son is autistc? pls help me :eek:

thank you!
[/size]

babloo

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
sorry to hear that whats the age of ur kid ? autism take lot of government money its very critical u can ask directly to some doctor who do medicals for canada they can gave u right answer

lidiajia

Dec 14, 2012
babloo said:
sorry to hear that whats the age of ur kid ? autism take lot of government money its very critical u can ask directly to some doctor who do medicals for canada they can gave u right answer
my son is ten years old. the government gives $6000 per year for his treatment ever since he got the diagnosis in 2011. thannk you for the suggestion. but i don't understand why the doctors can give me the answe?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lidiajia said:
[size=10pt]hi, everyone. i'm mom of an autistic boy. we're about submit the citizenship application. but i'm wondering whether i need to fill in the "special needs" part of the applcation form of my son. I've searched online and found several news about the rejection of the citizenship or PR due to the child's autism. The reason given by the CIC is" the excessive demand the applicants would place on the country's public services ".

Is there anyon who can tell me what I'm supposed do ? I want to fill in the application forms honestly that my son is autistic, but I'm relly afraid that the CIC may reject my son's application. If I put nothing on that special nees box, will the CIC find out that my son is autistc? pls help me :eek:

thank you!
[/size]
1. If you are applying for citizenship, I have to assume that the child is a Permanent Resident. "Excessive demand" is only used in Immigration applications for non spousal applications. So as it a PR doesn't apply to him/her.
2. The special needs in the application is the following:

Question 2

Check the box to indicate if the child has any special needs. If yes, please explain.

Special needs are described as:

wheelchair access
sign language interpretation
personal assistance (for example, you will be accompanied by a care attendant, an interpreter, a seeing eye dog, a sighted guide, etc.)

Has no effect on the citizenship application.

Reactions: vasvas

lidiajia

Dec 14, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. If you are applying for citizenship, I have to assume that the child is a Permanent Resident. "Excessive demand" is only used in Immigration applications for non spousal applications. So as it a PR doesn't apply to him/her.
2. The special needs in the application is the following:

Question 2

Check the box to indicate if the child has any special needs. If yes, please explain.

Special needs are described as:

wheelchair access
sign language interpretation
personal assistance (for example, you will be accompanied by a care attendant, an interpreter, a seeing eye dog, a sighted guide, etc.)

Has no effect on the citizenship application.

first of all, thank you so much for your info! yes, my son is a permenent resident now. he got the diagnosis after he landed in canada. so, you mean, the "medically inadmissalbe" and" excessie demand" doesnt apply to the citizenship application?

as for the definition of special needs, i didn't find the explanation to it on the website of CIC. Could you tell me where to find it?

again, thank you so much!

lidiajia

Dec 14, 2012
hello PMM

first of all, thank you so much for your info! yes, my son is a permenent resident now. he got the diagnosis after he landed in canada. so, you mean, the "medically inadmissalbe" and" excessie demand" doesnt apply to the citizenship application?

as for the definition of special needs, i didn't find the explanation to it on the website of CIC. Could you tell me where to find it?

again, thank you so much!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

lidiajia said:
my son has an SEA (special education assistant) in school. is it the same as the care attendant?
No. Basically they ask for special needs so that arrangements can be made for a person to attend the ceremony. i.e. if the person is in a wheelchair they would schedule the ceremony at a place that is wheel chair accessible. He only has to attend the ceremony if he is over 14.

lidiajia

Dec 14, 2012
hi PMM

thank you so much for your help! I've been very upset since I read those rejection news. Now i feel relieved! thank you so much!

canadaraghu

Jan 4, 2013
Plesae guide...
a)
See this is something tricky,
In 2010 year we did our medical and in medical no one asked us about the childs autism. We were honest but while and since last 2 years
it never occurred to us to highlight till I read Kims news.

As compared to our country in Canada they take much care about children (and I appreciate that).
If school or any authority asks us about taking government aid and we increase certain amount of dllrs then we three of us may loose canadian PR. so worried.

My kid is physically fit and dont need any assistance. Its just he is lagging behind the studies and may require special attention in school and that to for
one hour or so.

b)
I am very much aware of 730 days and so planning to make move along with family.

So my Q, am i just over worrying? or should I take extra take care ?

c) will there be any issue renewing the pr or at the time of citizenship?

d) do we have to take his admission in private school? I know they cost very much :(

Though I have answer that its not point of worry but again cross checking so pls guide.
Thanks in advance.

MorningGlory

Oct 2, 2015
Hi,
We are in similar situation, we have PR, we are living in Canada, now my 3 year old son, who was 1 year old when we came here is being diagnosed with autisam, we did not know about this when we came here. Do you think this can cause any issues when we apply for citizenship? Pleas tell me about your case lidiajia, did you get citizenship successfully?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Common sense has to be used here.

The demand the Citizens would place on the country's public services is the SAME as the Permanent Residents do. The issue with being sick is when applying for permanent residence status.

So, in brief, no issue.

nherie09

Oct 23, 2016
hi guys im new to this forum i just read all the thread,may i know what happenned to the applications of the people posted here as i have the same situatioon my son has mild autism but he is highly functional we are on the start of application using express entry i want to know if it would affect the application!!!
thanks!!