+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will IELTS add more points?

Pickers91

Apr 10, 2015
Hi all,

I see a lot of people on here talking about and discussing IELTS test scores. Now, I took the CELPIP test last month and have the score from that test counting towards my points in the EE pool - would I get more points if I went one step further and took an IELTS test also? I imagine it's one or the other, but I'm really looking for ways to try and bump my score up anyway that I can. I'm sat on 447 right now, with my PGWP expiring at the end of August. I was quite confident I'd be invited by then, but I'd rather play it safe and see if I can increase my score rather than taking my chances and simply hoping for the best.

I tried looking online and couldn't find any correspondence. Just figured I'd ask around here rather than sitting around on the phone for an hour waiting to speak to some unhelpful grouch on the other end.

visaowl

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pickers91 said:
Hi all,

I see a lot of people on here talking about and discussing IELTS test scores. Now, I took the CELPIP test last month and have the score from that test counting towards my points in the EE pool - would I get more points if I went one step further and took an IELTS test also? I imagine it's one or the other, but I'm really looking for ways to try and bump my score up anyway that I can. I'm sat on 447 right now, with my PGWP expiring at the end of August. I was quite confident I'd be invited by then, but I'd rather play it safe and see if I can increase my score rather than taking my chances and simply hoping for the best.

I tried looking online and couldn't find any correspondence. Just figured I'd ask around here rather than sitting around on the phone for an hour waiting to speak to some unhelpful grouch on the other end.
What matters is the score in the English test. That could be one of either, IELTS or CELPIP. You won't be able to count both, only one of them. So obviously at this time; try to score highest in CELPIP if your score in any section is <10. If its >10; then you already have scored the maximum points CIC would have given you.

Pickers91

Apr 10, 2015
Thank you for the prompt response. I got full marks across the board on the CELPIP test, so I'm all good there. I was just unsure over whether or not I could gain more points by taking an IELTS test.

Thanks for the clarification.

ranjk89

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Pickers91 said:
Hi all,

@Pickers91: I am in a identical situation my PGWP is expiring end of AUG too, I just bumped up my score taking IELTS to 467 hopefully I get an invitation in the next draw and things go smoothly after.