+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I lose PR if transferred to the US via L1?

lealfs

Sep 22, 2019
My company wants to transfer me to the US. I’m currently a Canadian PR. If I get transferred to the US and have to stay there for more than five years, will I lose my PR?

Or immigration understands that i had no choice and I’m able to keep my PR after that period?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
To keep your Canadian PR you need to be in Canada for 2 years in any 5 year period.

Usually Immigration would probably not consider moving only for employment as a valid reason to retain your PR status given generally that is considered a personal choice.

Usually the only possible exceptions might be if you have a spouse who is a Canadian citizen that you are accompanying or this happens to be a temporary assignment from a Canadian employer then returning to same employer in Canada although 5 years might be a stretch to be considered temporary.

There is no way unfortunately to predict or guarantee in advance how IRCC would react to anyone retaining their PR status although maybe an L1 visa by its nature is temporary assignment so may meet that condition. Assume that you may still be paid in Canada, pay taxes and be employed by the Canadian company but working temporarily for a US subsidiary.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My company wants to transfer me to the US. I’m currently a Canadian PR. If I get transferred to the US and have to stay there for more than five years, will I lose my PR?

Or immigration understands that i had no choice and I’m able to keep my PR after that period?
Does your company have Canadian operations? Are you currently working for this company in Canada?