+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I loose my current OHIP coverage while I wait for my PR Card

UKSnowman

Aug 6, 2019
Hey Everyone!

First off: There's been so much valuable information on these forms and I really thank everyone for sharing their experiences - Its helped me immensely in my application process.

Now, there is one question I can’t seem to get a clear answer on and was hoping that someone could help out who might have insight.

I currently reside in Canada on an Open Work Permit while I wait for my PR application to go through to completion and have OHIP coverage. My partner (Canadian citizen) and I are looking to have a child soon but don’t want to take any risks if there will be gaps in OHIP coverage. So I was curious, when my application does go through and I travel out of the country, then come back in:

I. Will I loose my current OHIP coverage while I wait for my PR Card?

II. If so, do I have to go through a waiting period when applying for a new card (3 months)?

Hopefully this all makes sense, I just want to make sure we have continuous coverage throughout the processes before starting for a family!

Thanks so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Everyone!

First off: There's been so much valuable information on these forms and I really thank everyone for sharing their experiences - Its helped me immensely in my application process.

Now, there is one question I can’t seem to get a clear answer on and was hoping that someone could help out who might have insight.

I currently reside in Canada on an Open Work Permit while I wait for my PR application to go through to completion and have OHIP coverage. My partner (Canadian citizen) and I are looking to have a child soon but don’t want to take any risks if there will be gaps in OHIP coverage. So I was curious, when my application does go through and I travel out of the country, then come back in:

I. Will I loose my current OHIP coverage while I wait for my PR Card?

II. If so, do I have to go through a waiting period when applying for a new card (3 months)?

Hopefully this all makes sense, I just want to make sure we have continuous coverage throughout the processes before starting for a family!

Thanks so much!
Are you currently working in a job that will last over 6 months? Will you be gone for over 1 month in the first 6 months?