+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will i have a problem if i change my name in my passport? PR in Canada

heavyheide

Oct 9, 2011
Hello All,

This site is very helpful, so i decided to lodge my queries here, hoping to find some really sensible answers.

I am PR status in canada (Landed in May 2010). After i landed in Canada i went back to Qatar to continue work. I got married in 2011 and still currently working in Doha, Qatar. I am pregnant with my 1st baby and planning to deliver here in Qatar since its too late for me to go back to Canada and avail of the medical insurance.

My dilemma is this. Qatar Law requires me to change my family name to my husbands name so that my baby can stay in Qatar and get a passport for my new born baby. Now my question is, will i have a problem with Canadian immigration and when i petition for my husband and babys PR if i change my family name to my husbands? I was single when i got my PR status in Canada and i used my maiden name.
Thank you so much for your input and advises! :)

Heide

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not have a problem if you show proof of name change, copies of old and new passport to prove you are the same person whose PR it is. You can also change your name on your PR card but you should be in Canada if you want to do that because they will only mail you your first PR card. After that, you have to come to your local immigration office where you live in Canada and pick it up.