+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will i get a study permit?

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
hi all,
i'm not sure if i will get approved for a study permit or not because of the following
on May 7th 2018 i had a letter of acceptance for a Masters degree in Algonquin college in Ottawa, which starts in September
the whole duration for the program is 1 year and the letter of acceptance states the first semester's
tuition that i have to pay by May 25th
My brother is in canada and he will take care of my tuition fees for the first semester and other living expenses

once i got the Acceptance letter i went ahead and opened a bank account ( since i never had one) and a couple of days later i sold my own car and deposited around 12000 CAD in my bank account
i plan to provide my car's selling Contract as a proof of the deposited money.
Also, I am only required to pay the first semester tuition ( not the full year)

since it takes about a month to process study permits in my country, I'm planning on applying to study permit on July 15th which allows for barely enough time to process the application and -if accepted- travel to Canada before classes start - hence, i will only have a Two-month bank statements but with a Solid proof that the money belongs to me.

My questions are:
- is it okay to only pay one semester tuition and provide a bank statements for only 12000 CAD ? i,e: no evidence of my capability to pay for a full years tuition
- is it okay to provide a proof of funds for only two months along with a letter from my bank stating the date i opened my account + my car selling contract

Last edited:

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Yes, you can pay for a semester's fee before the subsequent one to follow the next year

I think $12kcad is too small to show as you haven't also show the funds for your living expenses

Let's say your tuition fees + living expenses should be around +$25k, and you still need to show sufficient funds in the bank account and even a back up funds like in investments or fix deposit

Otherwise it might be a refusal due to "insufficient funds"

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Yes, you can pay for a semester's fee before the subsequent one to follow the next year

I think $12kcad is too small to show as you haven't also show the funds for your living expenses

Let's say your tuition fees + living expenses should be around +$25k, and you still need to show sufficient funds in the bank account and even a back up funds like in investments or fix deposit

Otherwise it might be a refusal due to "insufficient funds"
thanks for your reply
i forgot to mention that my brother is in Canada and he will take care of my first semester tuitions and Residence expenses

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Thanks again,
My first semester tuition are 8800 CAD( will be paid by my brother within a couple of days)
The full year's tuition is 17600 CAD
My bank statements show 12000CAD for now

How much more funds do i i need to show in my bank account ?

PARAM-

Star Member
Apr 5, 2018
even your brother will weaken your file on home ties, its complicated.

if your brother paid fees then attach fee receipt and do not mention that your brother paid it, rest show your statement for your education. also, if you can take loan for education it will help on financial point. this loan will cost almost nothing, if you don't take any money from that account. but check bank closer term carefully.

Reactions: Johnsnow 007

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
even your brother will weaken your file on home ties, its complicated.

if your brother paid fees then attach fee receipt and do not mention that your brother paid it, rest show your statement for your education. also, if you can take loan for education it will help on financial point. this loan will cost almost nothing, if you don't take any money from that account. but check bank closer term carefully.
but what if i apply for dual intent since i'm already in the pool of candidates for express entry - but did not qualify yet
will that help or worsen my case?

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
but what if i apply for dual intent since i'm already in the pool of candidates for express entry - but did not qualify yet
will that help or worsen my case?
yes it may contradict your case, applying for an EE and later a SP is a clear pointed thinking to the VO that you want to immigrate through any process available

All you can do now is put up a good paper works for your application. when did you get refused for your EE

Baha.A.T

Star Member
May 18, 2018
yes it may contradict your case, applying for an EE and later a SP is a clear pointed thinking to the VO that you want to immigrate through any process available

All you can do now is put up a good paper works for your application. when did you get refused for your EE
I was in the pool of candidates but never accomulated enough points to be invited
Just in case, i've wothdrawn the application from the pool today