+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I get a PR Visa if I have a valid Visitor Visa?

just_landed

Aug 28, 2017
Hi all,
I currently have a 'Visitor Visa' to Canada valid until Sep 2018. I applied for PR and I recently received the passport request (PPR), and will be sending my passport for COPR & PR visa.
1- Do I need a PR Visa if I already have a valid visitor visa for a year from now?
2- Would the visitor visa be canceled after I am issued a PR visa?
3- If the visitor visa is not canceled, can I sill enter Canada with my visitor visa after receiving my COPR & PR visa?
The reason I'm asking is the following:
The 5-year PR will start from the day I do my PR landing. I know that I won't be moving to Canada permanently soon. Therefore, the later I enter the later the expiry of the residency is, and the more time I have to maintain my PR status.
On the other hand, I still want to go to Canada in the next two months for personal reasons. Can I enter Canada using my Visitor Visa instead of my PR visa?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi all,
I currently have a 'Visitor Visa' to Canada valid until Sep 2018. I applied for PR and I recently received the passport request (PPR), and will be sending my passport for COPR & PR visa.
1- Do I need a PR Visa if I already have a valid visitor visa for a year from now?
3- If the visitor visa is not canceled, can I sill enter Canada with my visitor visa after receiving my COPR & PR visa?
The 5-year PR will start from the day I do my PR landing. I know that I won't be moving to Canada permanently soon. Therefore, the later I enter the later the expiry of the residency is, and the more time I have to maintain my PR status.
On the other hand, I still want to go to Canada in the next two months for personal reasons. Can I enter Canada using my Visitor Visa instead of my PR visa?
1.- You need a PR Visa
2.- They usually don't cancel other visas issued
3.- You could enter, perhaps you should explain why not you are entering with your PR Visa
4.- You could renew your PR status
5.- You should land then someone take you your PR card.

just_landed

Aug 28, 2017
1.- You need a PR Visa
2.- They usually don't cancel other visas issued
3.- You could enter, perhaps you should explain why not you are entering with your PR Visa
4.- You could renew your PR status
5.- You should land then someone take you your PR card.
3- Explain to immigration officers when I land in Canada you mean?

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
They will just cancel your visitor visa and attach your new immigrant visa to your passport.

Reactions: mpsqra

just_landed

Aug 28, 2017
If you apply for a permanent resident, why you are entering with a visitor visa? no common sense
The explanation is clear in my original inquiry. Not sure why are you suggesting the lack of common sense.

"The 5-year PR will start from the day I do my PR landing. I know that I won't be moving to Canada permanently soon. Therefore, the later I enter the later the expiry of the residency is, and the more time I have to maintain my PR status."

Reactions: mbaleine

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
The explanation is clear in my original inquiry. Not sure why are you suggesting the lack of common sense.

"The 5-year PR will start from the day I do my PR landing. I know that I won't be moving to Canada permanently soon. Therefore, the later I enter the later the expiry of the residency is, and the more time I have to maintain my PR status."
for the Canadian Border Officer
for me is clear, that's why I wrote: you should explain in your question #3
in October the law will change

sloth_sloth

Jun 25, 2019
Hi all,
Hi, I have the same question and situation as yours. Could you please help with your learnings. Was your visitor's visa cancelled and were you given a single entry visa after your PPR?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, I have the same question and situation as yours. Could you please help with your learnings. Was your visitor's visa cancelled and were you given a single entry visa after your PPR?
just_landed was last seen: Jun 9, 2018. That poster hasn't been back for over a year.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
they just give you the new want,,,,