+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be allowed to enter Canada with just 2 years 3 months left on my PR card before expiry/renewal?

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
I did soft landing in June 2019 and got back to the US immediately. I have been on H-1B visa and currently waiting for my I-140 approval & stuff before I move to Canada. If I plan onn moving to Canada in February or March of 2022 will I face any issue in re-entering the country using the PR status considering I haven't lived there in the last 3 years ?

Any inputs, advice or suggestions based on your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did soft landing in June 2019 and got back to the US immediately. I have been on H-1B visa and currently waiting for my I-140 approval & stuff before I move to Canada. If I plan onn moving to Canada in February or March of 2022 will I face any issue in re-entering the country using the PR status considering I haven't lived there in the last 3 years ?

Any inputs, advice or suggestions based on your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
If you arrive before the three year anniversary of your first landing,you will be fine.

You may not be after that if you travel a lot, so arriving early to have some additional bigger is preferable.

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
If you arrive before the three year anniversary of your first landing,you will be fine.

You may not be after that if you travel a lot, so arriving early to have some additional bigger is preferable.
Thank You for your reply. I am planning on being in Canada by December end at the earliest so that I have a few extra months of flexibility to manage any international travel in the next 2-3 years. That being said, even in the worst case scenario, March 2022 will still give me more than two years to fulfill residency requirement.

I was in Canada for a few days back in November 2019 right before covid restrictions got stricter. I got questioned a bit on why I haven't moved to Canada yet and had to go through a two step security check before I was cleared to proceed past the kiosk. It was strange. May be my answers didn't sound convincing enough for the Border security or the police, as per my friend.

All of this made me wonder how they'd deal with my situation if I land again in 2022.

Reactions: armoured

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
Sure, you may get questioned. Just tell the truth. If you're in compliance, you're in compliance.
Thank you for answering these questions and for everything you do patiently on this forum. Last week I spent some time reading several threads that are related to the questions I may have. You and other senior members have done a great job in answering all of those questions that are more or less variation of what one may have. Can't thank y'all enough - all I can say is I sincerely hope Universe takes note of it & gives whatever you wish and hope for you & your families ;)

kiddy2020

Jan 17, 2021
Guys, I am also in similar situation. My wife and I got PR card in May 2019 after we did a soft landing in April 2019. We both are still in US and planning to move to Canada next year in March April. Our PR cards expires in May 2024. Is there a risk if we move there by April 2022 assuming we are not planning to travel outside Canada from April 2022 to May2024 to cover 2 year period to renew PR card?

Reason why we yet to move is because we had a baby in Feb 2020 and then Covid started.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Guys, I am also in similar situation. My wife and I got PR card in May 2019 after we did a soft landing in April 2019. We both are still in US and planning to move to Canada next year in March April. Our PR cards expires in May 2024. Is there a risk if we move there by April 2022 assuming we are not planning to travel outside Canada from April 2022 to May2024 to cover 2 year period to renew PR card?

Reason why we yet to move is because we had a baby in Feb 2020 and then Covid started.
If you arrive when in compliance, you're in compliance and will be let in with no more than questions. You are in compliance at minimum until the three-year anniversary of your first landing.

Your risk is that your plan is cutting it close and unexpected things coming up, and that planning not to travel for two plus years is not practical.

A large percentage of issues raised here are basically precisely such plans meeting the real world.

kiddy2020

Jan 17, 2021
If you arrive when in compliance, you're in compliance and will be let in with no more than questions. You are in compliance at minimum until the three-year anniversary of your first landing.

Your risk is that your plan is cutting it close and unexpected things coming up, and that planning not to travel for two plus years is not practical.

A large percentage of issues raised here are basically precisely such plans meeting the real world.
I appreciate your quick response! I would like to come earlier but still working with my employer to transfer me to Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I appreciate your quick response! I would like to come earlier but still working with my employer to transfer me to Canada.
Good luck. Just note that lots of people run into problems - some small, some large, some just inconveniences - due to not having any buffer.

kiddy2020

Jan 17, 2021
Good luck. Just note that lots of people run into problems - some small, some large, some just inconveniences - due to not having any buffer.
Yes, you are right but right now I am just trying to ensure there wont be any issues while entering Canada through US-Canada border in March/April of 2022 as my PR expires on May2024.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, you are right but right now I am just trying to ensure there wont be any issues while entering Canada through US-Canada border in March/April of 2022 as my PR expires on May2024.
RO isn’t based on expiry date of your PR card it if 5 years from your landing date. Depending on how much time you’ve spent in Canada you will need to arrive in April 2022 but should arrive before or else you won’t be able to travel for business, pleasure or emergency.

kiddy2020

Jan 17, 2021
RO isn’t based on expiry date of your PR card it if 5 years from your landing date. Depending on how much time you’ve spent in Canada you will need to arrive in April 2022 but should arrive before or else you won’t be able to travel for business, pleasure or emergency.
Ah, You are right. My soft landing was around end of April back in 2019. So I should plan to come to Canada end of March.

wisetrack

Jun 18, 2018
Almost on the same boat. Did soft landing in July 2019 since my Copr was going to expire, and could not move to Canada as planned in 2020 due to Covid. Meanwhile wife got pregnant and delivered baby in the US 5 months back. Planning to move for good to Canada at the end of this month. Hoping we don't get questioned a lot!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Almost on the same boat. Did soft landing in July 2019 since my Copr was going to expire, and could not move to Canada as planned in 2020 due to Covid. Meanwhile wife got pregnant and delivered baby in the US 5 months back. Planning to move for good to Canada at the end of this month. Hoping we don't get questioned a lot!
As above, arrive while you are still in compliance with the RO, and you should not have any problems, even if they ask questions.

Homeowner

Jun 12, 2021
Guys you can enter Canada any time as long as your PR is not expired. This is something different than your obligation to renew the PR if you havent completed the require time frame in the country. As i shared with others in some other posts that you do not have to worry too much. Be honest and straight forwards at the time of PR renewal application why you could not able to complete the time period in Canada as mandated. These are not the normal times and everyone understands that almost 15months have been wiped off from everyone's calendar due to the pandemic. I m sure the CIC will review and grant extension on these grounds. In a normal scenario it wouldn't be possible but for sure some relaxation will be granted to those who for some reasons could not able to complete the time period for PR or Citizenship.

Reactions: sidewinder