App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
You will not get another SIN until you get a new work permit, and in fact...you SIN will still not change, just the expiry date.
My husband is on his 2nd work permit, same SIN.
I believe once you are a PR then your SIN will change but I'm not 100% sure.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CheshireCats said:
I believe once you are a PR then your SIN will change but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes, SINs on work permits are only temporary. When you become a PR you get a permanent SIN so the number will change. They will link the new SIN to old SIN for tax purposes so both will be on your file.

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 & 03-06-2016
EddieTNZ said:
This is terrible news. I have a great job and will have to quit.

Would you recommend I try for company sponsorship then? What are my chances? My hiring manager would like to keep me on.
If you have a great job, then you have a great manager. Be upfront and honest about the situation and see if your job will still be there when all of this is over. Companies hire temporary employees all the time to cover maternity leaves...
If they want you, they'll wait.
If you cannot get your extension, then file inland for PR. Worse case scenario you wait 11 months to return to work.

EddieTNZ

Nov 19, 2013
Ponga said:
:( Wow...Starting your sentence with `Not true', seems rather harsh, considering my previous post simply said that you are not suppose to leave. I never said you had to chain yourself to your desk and NOT leave. ::)

But...imagine the scenario where you have filed an Inland application and a WP (of some kind) and you get a CBSA officer that's in a < good mood. S/he can deny you re-entry back into Canada and you then run the risk of your entire application being thrown out, since you would be deemed to have abandoned your application. Is this likely to happen? Who knows. CAN it happen...absolutely.

Good luck sorting this all out.
I Apologize for sounding rude and abrupt. I didn't mean anything by it, and I will choose my words more carefully on here. Thank you again for your help

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
CheshireCats said:
If you cannot get your extension, then file inland for PR. Worse case scenario you wait 11 months to return to work.
Inland is definitely not the best option in his case! Outland is. First stage is 1 month, and Sydney is a fast VO - quite a few people get done in 4 to 5 months. So - with outland, the OP could have his PR in less time than it would take for CIC to look at his inland application first stage...
Talk to your manager, and explain your situation. If they're not willing to wait, or can't wait, well - you'll find another job. Don't risk your status in Canada for a few months at a job - it's only a job.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EddieTNZ said:
I Apologize for sounding rude and abrupt. I didn't mean anything by it, and I will choose my words more carefully on here. Thank you again for your help
Thank you very much.

Believe me, I know how `scary' this can be, albeit for a different reason, but we are all sharing information, knowledge, opinions, theory's, etc., to help you through this situation, which you WILL get through!

Don't gamble your future until you know exactly which cards to play. But by all means...don't fold!

This site really is a blessing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CheshireCats said:
I hope you're right about Sydney office. My husbands inland PR was just refused and his permits expire end of this year. Thinking he'll have to go back home after 6 years of being here...
I was just thinking about his case in regards to staying in Canada...the inland option allows him to stay here while it's being processed?? I guess just buys time, that's all it did for us LOL Now we start over again...but outland.
Ouch! That's terrible news. I hope that you are successful with your Outland Application.

[Were you surprised with the denial, or did they just get it wrong?]

CheshireCats

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
Sarnia Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
12-05-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2013 &amp; 03-06-2016
Ponga said:
Ouch! That's terrible news. I hope that you are successful with your Outland Application.

[Were you surprised with the denial, or did they just get it wrong?]
Knowing what we know now...no it's not a big surprise but it was at the time.

Never trust information you come across on the internet...only trust direct sources. A lot of people led us in the wrong direction...and no one from here, I hadn't stumbled across this place until after we sent the applications.
We have a successful lawyer now, and we're confident things will work out well, but prepared for the worst!

EddieTNZ

Nov 19, 2013
Rob_TO said:
As was mentioned, the main risk is that your PR application would be delayed indefinitely while they sort everything out.

Of course it can't affect you outside of Canada as this is only a Canadian issue.

If you read the post i linked to above, you will see the person just got caught randomly without doing anything. The visa officer reviewing their file either did a random check on their work status, or the CRA randomly informed CIC that the applicant was working under an expired IEC work permit/expired SIN. Nobody knows why some people are caught, while most others get away with it. Perhaps CRA and CIC don't communicate much, or maybe visa officers in general don't really care about this or bother to check... who knows.

As far as I know you do NOT get a new SIN with implied status. If someone really has implied status for working, then they could continue to use their current SIN number.
If I don't leave and return, then I won't get caught that way... Hmmm If I don't plan on living here and just want to work here for another year and then leave, I guess the risk may not be all that bad. STRESS!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
EddieTNZ said:
If I don't leave and return, then I won't get caught that way... Hmmm If I don't plan on living here and just want to work here for another year and then leave, I guess the risk may not be all that bad. STRESS!
You do know that if you don't intend to use your PR to reside in Canada, you aren't supposed to apply for it in the first place. I guess your plan after is for your common-law spouse to immigrate to New Zealand with you?