+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be able to apply for citizenship?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by RollooftheNorm, Nov 23, 2016.

  1. I'm a U.S. citizen and want to study engineering in Canada, but also want to immigrate and or become a Canadian citizen. I know that I have to have a study permit to go to college in Canada, but I was wondering will I be able to apply for full citizenship? If so how long do I have to be in Canada and what is the process?
  2. You can't apply for citizenship directly. You must become a permanent resident first. After you have been a PR for a number of years and lived in Canada, you will then qualify to apply for citizenship.

    Studying in Canada won't guarantee that you will qualify to apply for PR or that you will be selected.

    Best option is to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs in detail to understand what it takes to qualify to apply: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp
  3. If you are looking at studying engineering and don’t have other post secondary degrees you are looking at close to 10 years before you can become a citizen of Canada if everything goes well.

Share This Page