+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will having a misdemeanor prevent me from getting a study permit?

xpogomena

Dec 26, 2018
I have been planning on going to college in Hamilton and have recently been accepted. Now i need to apply for my study permit and am wondering if having a misdemeanor charge (from 5 years ago) is going to make it more difficult, completely impossible, or not effect it. Is there anything i can/should do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

(from the United States)

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been planning on going to college in Hamilton and have recently been accepted. Now i need to apply for my study permit and am wondering if having a misdemeanor charge (from 5 years ago) is going to make it more difficult, completely impossible, or not effect it. Is there anything i can/should do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

(from the United States)
What is the misdemeanor? What penalty were you given and when was that completed?

It's possible you are currently inadmissible to Canada and may have to apply for rehabilitation before you can think about studying here.

xpogomena

Dec 26, 2018
What is the misdemeanor? What penalty were you given and when was that completed?

It's possible you are currently inadmissible to Canada and may have to apply for rehabilitation before you can think about studying here.
The charge was "resisting arrest without violence" which involved running from the police on foot and then turning myself in. I had to pay 400 dollars and do 12 hours of community service. Would applying for rehabilitation make me eligible? I have a Canadian girlfriend so I've been in and out of Canada very regularly for the past 4 years, but this last time crossing the border they told me that i might need to apply for criminal rehabilitation. Its just all a surprise to me because ive been planning on going to college here for quite some time and never thought this was an issue. Thank you for the quick response! It will be 5 years since i completed the community service in mid August.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, you may need to apply for rehabilitation.

Read more here and see what applies to you - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5312-rehabilitation-persons-inadmissible-canada-past-criminal-activity.html#5312E4

If it has been more than 5 years since you completed the sentence (not committed the act, actually completed all aspects of the sentence), you are eligible to apply. If you are able to successfully get through the process, you can get a study permit.