+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will have the time to renew my documents in time with the current virus situation?

Thanos945

Jul 24, 2018
Hi, my passport and study permit both expire in early September . I'm not sure how long it takes to renew my passport from canada although Imagine it would atleast be a month but as far as the study permit goes it can easily take 2 months.

September might seem really far ahead but since I really have no idea when the pandemic is going to end, i'm really stressed right now. Do you guys have any advice? I am really stressed right now

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, my passport and study permit both expire in early September . I'm not sure how long it takes to renew my passport from canada although Imagine it would atleast be a month but as far as the study permit goes it can easily take 2 months.

September might seem really far ahead but since I really have no idea when the pandemic is going to end, i'm really stressed right now. Do you guys have any advice? I am really stressed right now
You have 6 months, so why are you stressed? Just apply for a new passport now if you are that worried. Also, study permit extensions are currently taking 4+ months.

Thanos945

Jul 24, 2018
You have 6 months, so why are you stressed? Just apply for a new passport now if you are that worried. Also, study permit extensions are currently taking 4+ months.
But thats the problem i can't apply for a passport now due to the current situation as the embassy is basically closed and i need that first before i apply for a new study permit. I didn't know about the 4+ months though, guess it makes it even worse

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But thats the problem i can't apply for a passport now due to the current situation as the embassy is basically closed and i need that first before i apply for a new study permit. I didn't know about the 4+ months though, guess it makes it even worse
You didn't mention your embassy was closed. At this point, you just have to wait for it to reopen and apply then. It should open with enough time. As long as you apply for the study permit extension before your current permit expires, you will have Implied Status to continue studying. If the embassy is closed long enough that you won't have your new passport in time, apply for the extension with the current passport and an explanation with proof about the delay caused by the embassy closure due to COVID-19. No one can guarantee that will be accepted but IRCC is being lenient in these situations.