+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will going Stateside hurt PR app?

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
My husband(canadian born citizen) and I (a USA citizen) are looking to apply for my PR in March of 2019 but I am feeling incredibly homesick and wanting to visit a friend a few miles across the boarder before we apply...will this at all hurt my chances when applying? Just worried I'm going to mess things up for us. I'm currently on a visitors visa (runs out in April so we're going to have to reapply for that anyways). Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
My husband(canadian born citizen) and I (a USA citizen) are looking to apply for my PR in March of 2018 but I am feeling incredibly homesick and wanting to visit a friend a few miles across the boarder before we apply...will this at all hurt my chances when applying? Just worried I'm going to mess things up for us. I'm currently on a visitors visa (runs out in April so we're going to have to reapply for that anyways). Thank you so much in advance!
You applied last March 2018? Or will apply March 2019?

If you already applied, did you apply inland (within Canada) or from the United States?

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
So all I need to worry about is just reapplying for my visa and the actual PR itself
Thank you so much for your help!!!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So all I need to worry about is just reapplying for my visa and the actual PR itself
Thank you so much for your help!!!
That's right, an extension of your visitor status and your PR application. The extension application should also go smoothly once you've filed that PR app.

You may also want to refer to the Family Sponsorship section of this forum...I believe, if you apply within Canada, you shouldn't leave the country and it will take longer, but you'll be able to apply for an open work permit. But if you apply from the United States, the PR app will be processed quicker. I'm not as well-versed with the details, so someone can correct me, but that's what I understand. You can do the inland application if you don't intend to travel back to the United States or elsewhere for about a year.