+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will doing Part-time during summer break affect PGWP?

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
I am at centennial college and could not get into a few classes in my second semester. Because of this, I need to take these in the summer as they are prerequisites for other courses in my third semester.

This is how it has broken down for me so far

Semester 1 - I took 5 our of the 6 required courses
Semester 2 - I took 6 our of the 8 required courses
Summer Semester - I need to take a split English course as well as 2 additional courses that are prerequisites for coming courses.
Semester 3 - I will be taking 7 out of 7 required courses
Semester 4 -I will be taking 7 out of 8 required courses

At the end of this I will have completed all the required courses and also have taken 2 additional English courses that I needed to take as per my placement test.

Will this summer semester affect my PGWP at all?

Centennial college is totally useless and I cannot get help or get a hold of any acedemic advisors.

GnuDoyng

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Edmonton AB
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
02-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-08-2014
Med's Request
05-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-12-2014
Passport Req..
19-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2015
LANDED..........
16-06-2015
Reactions: joeythecat

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
Hello,

Assuming your potential work is off campus, if you're only taking prerequisite courses then you're not allowed to work. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
so even though I am enrolled in a fulltime program, by doing part time in the summer I am not allowed to work?

I actually do not think that is correct. this is from the page you linked.

Full-time or part-time course load during a regularly scheduled break
Students who are enrolled full time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break and who decide to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break are eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis. If a program of study does not provide for a regularly scheduled break and a student creates their own break in a program, it is considered a leave from studies, rather than a regularly scheduled break. Students who create their own break in a program are not eligible to work on or off campus during that break.

Last edited:

GnuDoyng

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Edmonton AB
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
02-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-08-2014
Med's Request
05-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-12-2014
Passport Req..
19-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2015
LANDED..........
16-06-2015
so even though I am enrolled in a fulltime program, by doing part time in the summer I am not allowed to work?

I actually do not think that is correct. this is from the page you linked.

Full-time or part-time course load during a regularly scheduled break
Students who are enrolled full time during the academic sessions before and after a regularly scheduled break and who decide to undertake a full-time or part-time course load during that regularly scheduled break are eligible to work off campus on a full-time basis. If a program of study does not provide for a regularly scheduled break and a student creates their own break in a program, it is considered a leave from studies, rather than a regularly scheduled break. Students who create their own break in a program are not eligible to work on or off campus during that break.
Please disregard what I said above.

Your summer study does not change your status as a full-time student, so it will not impact your eligibility for PGWP. This is the same idea as in their final semester some students only have part-time course load, which does not impact their eligibility for PGWP, as long as their full-time student status remains unchanged.

GnuDoyng

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Edmonton AB
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
02-08-2014
File Transfer...
19-08-2014
Med's Request
05-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-12-2014
Passport Req..
19-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-01-2015
LANDED..........
16-06-2015

Abndn

May 2, 2024
I am at centennial college and could not get into a few classes in my second semester. Because of this, I need to take these in the summer as they are prerequisites for other courses in my third semester.

This is how it has broken down for me so far

Semester 1 - I took 5 our of the 6 required courses
Semester 2 - I took 6 our of the 8 required courses
Summer Semester - I need to take a split English course as well as 2 additional courses that are prerequisites for coming courses.
Semester 3 - I will be taking 7 out of 7 required courses
Semester 4 -I will be taking 7 out of 8 required courses

At the end of this I will have completed all the required courses and also have taken 2 additional English courses that I needed to take as per my placement test.

Will this summer semester affect my PGWP at all?

Centennial college is totally useless and I cannot get help or get a hold of any acedemic advisors.
You got pgwp

rizygAsc

Apr 26, 2024
You can work full time since university is on semester break. You will studying part time taking the missed courses. Rules only mention university semester break.

Therefore, you will be fine mate.