+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will Covid-avoidance help extend my stay?

Tripster

Sep 10, 2020
I am from the U.S. (citizen). We travel to Canada every year, and stay for a few months, visiting relatives (of my dual-citizen Canadian common-law wife).
This year, we entered Canada just before the border closed in March. We are still in Canada, so I am just about to reach the six month limit, and I've assembled (but not yet submitted) an application to extend my visit (form 5708).

Questions:
1) Although we are here to visit relatives, would it help (or hurt) to mention that we are staying longer than usual because we want to avoid getting Covid in the U.S.?
I should mention that we are both in perfect health, and have both regular health insurance and travel health insurance (just in case).

2) I am actually not sure how long we'll stay - probably until mid-December. It may be longer, so my common-law wife said to just ask for 6 more months. Is that a good strategy?
I didn't know if there was some kind of practical limit that would raise red flags to the Canada immigration people. We do not intend on staying here permanently.

Side note: I will also be submitting a common-law marriage form 5409 for the first time. We've lived together for over 10 years.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Only commenting on COVID avoidance in that don’t believe that will help at all given sure there are plenty places in the US where COVID can be avoided, granted not as many as in Canada but there are still plenty.

Just my view anyway.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Covid avoidance would only really be a good reason if the healthcare system was not capable of treating the population or there was a lockdown like in NYC. When applying for an extension I would include proof that you do have travel insurance that covers covid and proof of your savings to support yourselves during your visit. Would also include proof that you are common-law. Things like your tax returns showing you are common law would be good proof.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP can certainly try to extend his visitor status for another 6 months.