+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will CIC hold on to my passport until my spouse's documents are processed?

DavidODes

Star Member
Jul 3, 2012
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
31st July 2012
Hello,

I am a PR applicant under express entry system. On October 2016, I received an email from CIC saying my PR is approved and to submit my passport to continue the process. In the mean time, I got married and mentioned it to the CIC through their email provided. As I was waiting for the reply days were going, so I submitted my passport. After submitting the passport, I received a notification from CIC asking me for additional documentation for my spouse (so that my spouse can be added to my existing application). I have 30 days to submit my spouse documents.

My question is - will I get my passport back in this case? Since my spouse's document processing could take few more months (I guess), will they hold on to my passport? I am planning to travel in couple months and I need my passport back. I sent CIC an email and also submitted a query using their web form. Does anyone went through the same situation?

Many thanks!

DavidODes

Star Member
Jul 3, 2012
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
31st July 2012
I guess not a lot of people have gone through this scenario. For the record, this is what happened next. CIC returned my the passport and I will have to submit both passports (mine and my spouses') when my spouse documents are processed.

Thanks!

DavidODes

Star Member
Jul 3, 2012
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
31st July 2012
jpart said:
Hi, Initially you're the only one who process or send application to CIC?
Not sure what u mean. If u are asking whether I did the application by myself, Yes. I didnt go to any agency and I send the CIC application by myself.