+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will cic deny an application becuase of conflicting medical?- urgent

Tyson2014

Aug 4, 2014
Today my girlfriend and I hit a snag with her immigration process. She came here on a working holiday visa. She had an upfront medical exam done for her working holiday visa. At the time she was was stressed about leaving her job and university for another country. She saw a therapist for a bit and took antidepresants for 6 months. When she did her upfront medical exam in Germany she explained everything and it all went fine. She was given her visa and she came to Canada. This took place last fall. She has not seen anyone for about a year and has not taken any pills for about 7 months. Now that she is Canada she is happy and doing well.

Today she had another exam done, as her old one is nearly expired. When the time came the doctor asked about mental/ psychological issues. She said no but that she had seen a therapist in the past but not anymore. He went on with the exam. In another part of the exam she was asked if she is taking any medication currently. She said "nothing other than birth control".

She is worried now that she should have mentioned the antidepression pills in the past. We know the medication itself is not a big deal but she is worried that it will come up from the other medical exam she took for her working holiday visa when CIC looks at it, and it will look like she is lying. She is considering going back to the doctor to talk about the medication. I said that I don't think there is anything to worry about. The doctors office is open tomorrow if we want to speak with them again. Who is right?

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Tyson2014 said:
Today my girlfriend and I hit a snag with her immigration process. She came her on a working holiday visa. She had an upfront medical exam done for her working holiday visa. At the time she was was stressed about leaving her job and university for another country. She saw a therapist for a bit and took antidepresants for 6 months. When she did her upfront medical exam in Germany she explained everything and it all went fine. She was given her visa and she came to Canada. This took place last fall. She has not seen anyone for about a year and has not taken any pills for about 7 months. Now that she is Canada she is happy and doing well.

Today she had another exam done, as her old one is nearly expired. When the time came the doctor asked about mental/ psychological issues. She said no but that she had seen a therapist in the past but not anymore. He went on with the exam. In another part of the exam she was asked if she is taking any medication currently. She said "nothing other than the pill".

She is worried now that she should have mentioned the antidepression pills in the past. We know the medication itself is not a big deal but she is worried that is will come up from the other medical exam she took for her working holiday visa when CIC looks at it, and it will look like she is lying. She is considering going back to the doctor to talk about the medication. I said that I don't think there is anything to worry about. The doctors office is open tomorrow if we want to speak with them again. Who is right?
She answered truthfully. No problem with that. I'd leave it alone...CIC doesn't care about that kind of stuff anyway when it comes to the medical exam.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Tyson2014 said:
Thanks, does anyone else have an opinion on this? We don't want to mess this up.
To my knowledge there are no requirements to mention anything from the past.

Tyson2014

Aug 4, 2014
Do you mean in regards to antidepressants? She was definatley required to talk about her past with surgeries, tuberculosis, and a few other things.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Tyson2014 said:
Do you mean in regards to antidepressants? She was definatley required to talk about her past with surgeries, tuberculosis, and a few other things.
Hm oh yeah. I don't remember the exact questions. But generally if you have had a condition in the past that you had to eat medication for you are still not required to mention it, no? I don't think there is any question like "have you ever had any kind of condition" or "have you ever had to eat medication for any kind of condition". Instead they ask if you are currently on any kind of medication, right? So no need to mention that. However I believe there is a question if you have ever been hospitalized for a certain amount of days, or if you ever needed surgery, so I guess a few things would qualify under that even if it's not active conditions in need of care or medications.
If she was hospitalized because of depression that should probably be mentioned but if she just ate medication for a condition in the past there is no need to mention it.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Tyson2014 said:
Sure - TB is something they absolutely are looking for. Again, she was asked specifically about those things and I assume she answered truthfully. She was only asked about current medications, and she again answered truthfully.

Keep in mind that a panel physician does not have access to your previous medical records - they are going to ask questions about certain things your regular doctor won't need to ask about. They need to ask about surgeries, tuberculosis, etc, because they are looking for prior or current conditions that could put the Canadian medical system under undue stress. A prescription for whatever your partner was taking that was prescribed by a psychiatrist is not one of those things.

The whole process is extremely stressful, but one thing a lot of people do is overthink things and get themselves worried for no reason. It happens a lot, but in this case you should have no reason to worry.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
rugrat907 said:
Sure - TB is something they absolutely are looking for. Again, she was asked specifically about those things and I assume she answered truthfully. She was only asked about current medications, and she again answered truthfully.

Keep in mind that a panel physician does not have access to your previous medical records - they are going to ask questions about certain things your regular doctor won't need to ask about. They need to ask about surgeries, tuberculosis, etc, because they are looking for prior or current conditions that could put the Canadian medical system under undue stress. A prescription for whatever your partner was taking that was prescribed by a psychiatrist is not one of those things.

The whole process is extremely stressful, but one thing a lot of people do is overthink things and get themselves worried for no reason. It happens a lot, but in this case you should have no reason to worry.
True. Unfortunately some people underthink too. I'm definitely an overthinker as well. It's easy in hindsight to tell people not to overthink but when you're in that moment and it's about your future it's hard not to.

Tyson2014

Aug 4, 2014
She was pretty nervous at that time last fall dealing with work, studying, and moving. She had trouble sleeping, and was pretty exhausted. One of her friends was worried about her, so she suggested they go to the hospital one night just to see what's going on. The doctors said that she is too stressed and recommended a therapist and some medication. That was the extent of it.

She is just really worried that CIC will look at both medical exams and see a difference. She told the doctors about it when she had her first one done because she was still on the medication and seeing a therapist. They seemed concerned about it. She explained that it was nothing major.

This time around the doctor seemed to gloss over the area.

Thanks so much for the replies. She would like to go to talk with the doctor today just to be at ease because she doesn't want CIC to think she is lying.

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
SamHom said:
True. Unfortunately some people underthink too. I'm definitely an overthinker as well. It's easy in hindsight to tell people not to overthink but when you're in that moment and it's about your future it's hard not to.
You're right - probably an unnecessary comment on my part and apologies if I offended anyone.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Tyson2014 said:
She was pretty nervous at that time last fall dealing with work, studying, and moving. She had trouble sleeping, and was pretty exhausted. One of her friends was worried about her, so she suggested they go to the hospital one night just to see what's going on. The doctors said that she is too stressed and recommended a therapist and some medication. That was the extent of it.

She is just really worried that CIC will look at both medical exams and see a difference. She told the doctors about it when she had her first one done because she was still on the medication and seeing a therapist. They seemed concerned about it. She explained that it was nothing major.

This time around the doctor seemed to gloss over the area.
It's a doctors job to be concerned and show compassion for their patients - especially when it comes to mental illness. In the end the doctor doesn't take the decision - CIC does. She was on medication at the time, she did the right thing when she mentioned it at the first exam. At the second exam, she was not on the medication anymore, and thus did the right thing again, this time by not mentioning it. CIC should be able to figure that out. Even if they wouldn't figure it out, they probably still wouldn't care. If they do care, you can simply show them that she wasn't in fact taking the medication anymore at the time of the exam and therefore it wasn't mentioned. You really shouldn't have to worry. I know it's hard.

Also be aware that making a hen out of...not even a feather...can cause uneccesarry suspicion from CIC and result in delays and possibly other issues too.

Tyson2014

Aug 4, 2014
Yeah we should have left it. We discussed it we decided that we still wanted to go just incase. We both went in this time and explained that I was just there to make sure there she understood every question. We told him about the medication in the past. He said the form only asks for major things like clinical depression, and other major mental health issues. He asked if she had any of those again and she said no. He said that he would leave it the way it was but that he could make a note of it at the bottom for CIC if we wanted. We asked him just to leave it. He seemed fine with that but he said he had to make some notes for himself that we had come back in. If anything it seemed like was more concerned why we had come back in again. We left feeling ok with it but it probably would have been best left alone. As long as he doesn't add anything else I think were good.

horizonj

Jun 9, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-06-2020
Yeah we should have left it. We discussed it we decided that we still wanted to go just incase. We both went in this time and explained that I was just there to make sure there she understood every question. We told him about the medication in the past. He said the form only asks for major things like clinical depression, and other major mental health issues. He asked if she had any of those again and she said no. He said that he would leave it the way it was but that he could make a note of it at the bottom for CIC if we wanted. We asked him just to leave it. He seemed fine with that but he said he had to make some notes for himself that we had come back in. If anything it seemed like was more concerned why we had come back in again. We left feeling ok with it but it probably would have been best left alone. As long as he doesn't add anything else I think were good.

Hi, i hope you still get to read this.What happened to your girlfriend's application? Did CIC find out about her conflicting medicals? Please advise, I'm in the same boat with my husbands' medical.

horizonj

Jun 9, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-06-2020
It's a doctors job to be concerned and show compassion for their patients - especially when it comes to mental illness. In the end the doctor doesn't take the decision - CIC does. She was on medication at the time, she did the right thing when she mentioned it at the first exam. At the second exam, she was not on the medication anymore, and thus did the right thing again, this time by not mentioning it. CIC should be able to figure that out. Even if they wouldn't figure it out, they probably still wouldn't care. If they do care, you can simply show them that she wasn't in fact taking the medication anymore at the time of the exam and therefore it wasn't mentioned. You really shouldn't have to worry. I know it's hard.

Also be aware that making a hen out of...not even a feather...can cause uneccesarry suspicion from CIC and result in delays and possibly other issues too.
Hi there, when you say CIC should be able to figure that out, do you mean they cross-check medical results form your prior visa applications? Hope you still get to read this.