+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will arrive Canada in end of June be considered "too early"?

toki09

Feb 21, 2021
My legal status in the U.S. will be expired at the end of June, can I drive to Canada by that time?
My school starts in September so I'm afraid will I be refused at the border bc is "too early".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My legal status in the U.S. will be expired at the end of June, can I drive to Canada by that time?
My school starts in September so I'm afraid will I be refused at the border bc is "too early".
It will be up to CBSA. You'll want to show that you have extra funds to support an early arrival and cover your living expenses without working.

toki09

Feb 21, 2021
It will be up to CBSA. You'll want to show that you have extra funds to support an early arrival and cover your living expenses without working.
Thanks for your reply. Does that means as long as I have enough money I would be fine? I never deal with CBSA before, don’t know how strict they’re in the Covid time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply. Does that means as long as I have enough money I would be fine? I never deal with CBSA before, don’t know how strict they’re in the Covid time.
None of us here can tell you that. It will be up to CBSA (this was true before COVID as well).

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I wouldnt advice to do that especially during covid and even before. You dont need record in your file incase they deemed its too early and you failed to provide good reasons why you arriving 3months before your studies. You may provide proof of funds but again the question is why now? No one can tell you what will happen, its up to CBSA to decise

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Up to border officer but you have no justifiable reason to enter Canada 3 months before your program begins.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Up to border officer but you have no justifiable reason to enter Canada 3 months before your program begins.
I did it. It really is up to the officer.

If I were to do it at the moment, I'd start by having housing secured (I rented a condo when I did it), and I'd mention to the officer that it was necessary to start the lease 3 months early in order to secure housing and ensure I had a place when the semester started. I'd point out that the 14 day quarantine means that I won't be able to start getting settled for several weeks, and that it's difficult to carry two different houses in two different countries.

The officer is going to be looking for two main things - insufficient assets, and illegal work. In my case, I was telecommuting to the US (which meant that it wasn't considered "work"), which solved both problems. As an alternative, I'd want to have sufficient funds or income (stocks, rental properties that are owned, etc.) to cover the extra month and a half.

toki09

Feb 21, 2021

If I were to do it at the moment, I'd start by having housing secured (I rented a condo when I did it), and I'd mention to the officer that it was necessary to start the lease 3 months early in order to secure housing and ensure I had a place when the semester started. I'd point out that the 14 day quarantine means that I won't be able to start getting settled for several weeks, and that it's difficult to carry two different houses in two different countries.

The officer is going to be looking for two main things - insufficient assets, and illegal work. In my case, I was telecommuting to the US (which meant that it wasn't considered "work"), which solved both problems. As an alternative, I'd want to have sufficient funds or income (stocks, rental properties that are owned, etc.) to cover the extra month and a half.
Thank you so much for the response, these tips are very helpful. Would you mind telling me when you did it? Is it pre-pandemic or during pandemic? I am a full-time intel student in the U.S. who just graduated, so basically if Canadian denied me (and my cat) we can’t return to the States again either, will they consider this fact too. For the finical support, I have two year living expenses under my bank account, I believe it would works? Again, thank you for your post.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Are you a US citizen? The standard of scrutiny that US citizens, EU, and other '1st world' countries receive is a lot lower than the majority of student applicants

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012

that makes total sense. If 2 months before study it might be ok but 3-4 months you provided very logical reasons. In some cases, CBSA wouldn't even care.
in other cases, they want to hear legit reasons.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Thank you so much for the response, these tips are very helpful. Would you mind telling me when you did it?

I am a full-time intel student in the U.S. who just graduated, so basically if Canadian denied me (and my cat) we can’t return to the States again either, will they consider this fact too.
They would, and there are agreements about that. The problem gets to be that with the lack of status in the US, you wouldn't be in a good position.

On the other hand, it is a very, very good reason to come three months early. It doesn't undermine your case in the same way that someone coming just for fun would.

It's a gamble. Nobody can tell you what the agent will do. The agent can let you in, he can turn you around and you then have to leave.

If it were me in your position, I'd try it before the end of my US status, and be prepared to buy an expensive plane ticket if I get turned around. I wouldn't be too worried about the denial, as it doesn't make you look bad in the same way that smuggling or violating the law does. That's based on my personal risk profile, though. I'm a gambler who deals with risk by having plan A through plan J.

The safest option would be to fly home and return, but that comes with expense. Only you can decide if the risk of rejection and needing to explain on future applications is worth the risk of having to lease a place for a few extra months while you fly back to your country of nationality.

For the finical support, I have two year living expenses under my bank account, I believe it would works? Again, thank you for your post.
Two years is fine.