+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a convention refugee (Accepted refugee) eligible to apply via Express Entry

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Hi Everybody,
I am new user to this forum and I hope you guys will guide me to resolve my immigration issues. Hope you all are doing good. I am convention refugee as my refugee case was accepted on June 2014 and I had submitted my application for PR in 2014 August. During that time PR processing time was 13 months. My turn did not come yet as CIC website shows, April's applications are in process. It will take 4 more months to reach to my application and still my total time will be more than 15 months. I am working as an engineer since last 6 months and I have more than 7 years of experience in my field from back home. I am eligible for express entry program. My question is that

1- Am I eligible to file my another parallel application in Skilled Worker category through express entry program and Will I have an option that once my one application get accepted, I can withdraw another one ? or should I wait for my refugee application ?

2- I have open work permit as I am convention refugee, my this work permit will be applicable in express entry program ?

3- If I wait for my current PR application, it will take almost 15 months more means total time of my application will be 25 months so my this time will be countable when I will apply for citizenship in future ? Will wait for the replies. Thanks and have great time.

Manavryk

Aug 8, 2015
Buddy,

I would strongly encourage you to try.

One of the lakest Federal Court decisions was about refugee of China who lived as PR for 7 years in Canada, and IRB took it away on a fact that he appied for chinese passport "as a piece of identification purpose only".

I dont have link at hand, but as soon as I find it - will show.
Should be on CANLii portal.

Appoved refugees or protected persons must have a right to achive permanent resident immigration status under economic class, if they want to do so.
Because in case something happened, everything may be taken away.
In case the achived it under economic contribution, nobody would be empowered to take it away.

So, you should apply.
If they regect it, apply to court. Claim for yourself a right to be examined as a " contributor to economy, not only "compattionate" UNHCR definition.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Hi Manavryk,
Thank you for your positive reply. Actually I am confused that once I apply under economy class, my existing application which is in process for PR will automatically withdraw ? Or both the applications will be processed in parallel ? I am just thinking that if both will be in process, then once my express entry will be approved, I will withdraw another one. Thanks