+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's Sponsorship - No Marriage Cert but only Nikah Nama

shasa089

Sep 30, 2012
Hi,

Can someone pleaseeee help me out here...and sorry if this has been posted before..but i did not find a concrete answer to this question....

long story short....we got married in india...im currently in Canada (im a PR)...and about to file my wife's application.
However..we do not have a marriage cert from the Registrar's office..as it was not a civil court marriage.

We do have the Nikah Nama which is the marriage cert. as per the islamic law.I also have 2 letters of authentication from top govt officials in india..
Im also listed as her spouse on her passport...
will this be enough??

I really cannot travel all the way to India to sign a document...it doesnt make sense..

PLEASE help!!

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
shasa089 said:
Hi,

Can someone pleaseeee help me out here...and sorry if this has been posted before..but i did not find a concrete answer to this question....

long story short....we got married in india...im currently in Canada (im a PR)...and about to file my wife's application.
However..we do not have a marriage cert from the Registrar's office..as it was not a civil court marriage.

We do have the Nikah Nama which is the marriage cert. as per the islamic law.I also have 2 letters of authentication from top govt officials in india..
will this be enough??

I really cannot travel all the way to India to sign a document...it doesnt make sense..

PLEASE help!!
If you have Nikah Nama issued by Qazi then it should not be a problem to get English Marriage Certificate from Wakf Board...Its a day process from the Wakf Board to get certificate about submitting your documents..

Muslims does not have to do Civil Court Marriage in India to get Marriage Certificate....Qazi issues you in Urdu and you go and get the translation from Wakf board...

shasa089

Sep 30, 2012
Hi Tahsin,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you responding to my question...
I feel better after reading ur post..

I have been banging my head against walls...thinking about this marriage cert thing.
I do have my nikah naama in english...certified..notarized etc.Also we have 2 letter from top govt. of india officials authenticating our marriage...plus affidavit...so im hoping i shud be ok!

i do appreciate ur help!

Thanks.

shasa089

Sep 30, 2012
tahsinmohammad said:
If you have Nikah Nama issued by Qazi then it should not be a problem to get English Marriage Certificate from Wakf Board...Its a day process from the Wakf Board to get certificate about submitting your documents..

Muslims does not have to do Civil Court Marriage in India to get Marriage Certificate....Qazi issues you in Urdu and you go and get the translation from Wakf board...
i just had a quick question....u think its a good idea to write a cover letter and explain this to the immigration officer?
I am sending my application tomorrow.! :)

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
shasa089 said:
i just had a quick question....u think its a good idea to write a cover letter and explain this to the immigration officer?
I am sending my application tomorrow.! :)
It will not make any difference but you can include Cover Letter to explain things to the Officer.I just included my English Nikha Nama and marriage pics....I forget to include the signing pics of Nikhanama in front of Qazi...So ND requested me to send "pictures of you and your sponsor signing Nikhanama in front of Qazi "...Include these pics and you should be fine...

chrisnandito

Mar 2, 2017
Hi,

I was searching online about getting married in India and getting a Nekahnama and found your post.

I wanted to ask where did you get officials authenticating for your marriage. I and my wife are planning to get married in India and I want to make sure we have everything ready.

Thanks so much

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
Hi,

The person performing the marriage will issue you the marriage certificate and then you need to get it attested and notarised with the government office...

thanks

chrisnandito said:
Hi,

I was searching online about getting married in India and getting a Nekahnama and found your post.

I wanted to ask where did you get officials authenticating for your marriage. I and my wife are planning to get married in India and I want to make sure we have everything ready.

Thanks so much

ekramece

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Hi,

will this be enough??

PLEASE help!!
Hello,

Did the Nikah Nama work for you?

I am in a similar situation. I am applying for PR and currently got an ITA and one of the document asked is a marriage certificate.
I only have the marriage certificate(in english/urdu) issued by Wakf board. Will this be sufficient?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,

Jaffer

Jul 26, 2018
Hello There,

Please let me know did your wife manage to get visa because I have exact same situation like you. I got marry India Mumbai and didn't registered my marriage in India. I do have my nikkah certificate which is given from Qazi in English and also I have affidavit with notary. My wife got her passport under my name and her pcc also states that she is wife of me. Please let me know I am submitting my application next week and do not want IRCC to refused the application. I have all other proof my wedding photo, honeymoon photos, all bills , wedding card etc. It would be a great help if someone reply to this thread.

Jaffer

Jul 26, 2018
Hi Tahsin,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you responding to my question...
I feel better after reading ur post..

I have been banging my head against walls...thinking about this marriage cert thing.
I do have my nikah naama in english...certified..notarized etc.Also we have 2 letter from top govt. of india officials authenticating our marriage...plus affidavit...so im hoping i shud be ok!

i do appreciate ur help!

Thanks.
Hello There,

Did your partner manage to get the visa please reply

Guri94681

Star Member
Aug 11, 2018
Hello There,

Please let me know did your wife manage to get visa because I have exact same situation like you. I got marry India Mumbai and didn't registered my marriage in India. I do have my nikkah certificate which is given from Qazi in English and also I have affidavit with notary. My wife got her passport under my name and her pcc also states that she is wife of me. Please let me know I am submitting my application next week and do not want IRCC to refused the application. I have all other proof my wedding photo, honeymoon photos, all bills , wedding card etc. It would be a great help if someone reply to this thread.
Hello There,

H
Hello There,

Hey, please don't take risk specially about marriage certificate cuz it's the main documents in spouse case .i had same problem even though i did court marriage in the office of DC in district court as well as marriage in sikh temple still they asked for marriage certificate. We had no option and my wife came to india just to sign as well as physically present to get picture with me which i got on my marriage certificate . Even though if you got nikkah nama and everything but they don't care about all these . So i would suggest you get marriage registration asap .you can get marriage registration on the behalf on your nikkah nama i means the date which you got on your nikkah nama mention in details to get marriage certificate. Its easy process don't be panic but both of you have to be physically present in the registar office. Trust me bruv this certificate will help you whole life. Best of luck

Jaffer

Jul 26, 2018
H

Hey, please don't take risk specially about marriage certificate cuz it's the main documents in spouse case .i had same problem even though i did court marriage in the office of DC in district court as well as marriage in sikh temple still they asked for marriage certificate. We had no option and my wife came to india just to sign as well as physically present to get picture with me which i got on my marriage certificate . Even though if you got nikkah nama and everything but they don't care about all these . So i would suggest you get marriage registration asap .you can get marriage registration on the behalf on your nikkah nama i means the date which you got on your nikkah nama mention in details to get marriage certificate. Its easy process don't be panic but both of you have to be physically present in the registar office. Trust me bruv this certificate will help you whole life. Best of luck
Thanks brother I will do it definetly

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
Hi Guys, if you do not have government registered marriage certificate and you have nikah nama in English with marriage certificate heading then will it be accepted by CIC ? Do you know any case which was approved by it also do I need to do any kind of attestation for it? I am currently in Canada and due to this pandemic its not possible for me to travel now.

Guri94681

Star Member
Aug 11, 2018
Hi Guys, if you do not have government registered marriage certificate and you have nikah nama in English with marriage certificate heading then will it be accepted by CIC ? Do you know any case which was approved by it also do I need to do any kind of attestation for it? I am currently in Canada and due to this pandemic its not possible for me to travel now.
No bruv it's not gonna work only with Nikah Nama. You have to provide govt registered marriage certificate which do have proper scan code with picture too. I made this mistake i.e. submit only marriage certificate & court marriage certificate but not the registered certificate and i was too much lucky that they didn't send whole file back and I gave me time for one month to submit it. On the CIC website they have mention very clearly which documents need to submit for different category of visas.

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
No bruv it's not gonna work only with Nikah Nama. You have to provide govt registered marriage certificate which do have proper scan code with picture too. I made this mistake i.e. submit only marriage certificate & court marriage certificate but not the registered certificate and i was too much lucky that they didn't send whole file back and I gave me time for one month to submit it. On the CIC website they have mention very clearly which documents need to submit for different category of visas.
You used it for Visa ? I am talking about PR application .Did you had MEA attestation on it ?