+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's OWP and child's SP cancellation

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hello everyone!
I am a principal applicant on a closed WP and my wife's OWP and son's SP were issued under my application. If I will quit the job and apply alone for a new closed WP, and after approval, my family's permits will be canceled as they attached to my previous application?
Thanks!

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hello everyone!
I am a principal applicant on a closed WP and my wife's OWP and son's SP were issued under my application. If I will quit the job and apply alone for a new closed WP, and after approval, my family's permits will be canceled as they attached to my previous application?
Thanks!
Yes it looks like that will be the case. This is what IRCC says: The permit (wife's) will not be valid longer than your work permit.

Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

Reactions: hello2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone!
Thanks!
If they are already in Canada and have landed no the OWP and study permit won’t be cancelled. Assume you had also worked at the employer before quitting.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
If they are already in Canada and have landed no the OWP and study permit won’t be cancelled. Assume you had also worked at the employer before quitting.
Much appreciate for the response, but now I am confused... why if my existing WP will be not valid after getting new one, theirs will be valid? First time we landed together and their OWP & SP were issued at POE same time with my WP. However, at the moment they are not in Canada (recently returned back to home country for family reasons).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Much appreciate for the response, but now I am confused... why if my existing WP will be not valid after getting new one, theirs will be valid? First time we landed together and their OWP & SP were issued at POE same time with my WP. However, at the moment they are not in Canada (recently returned back to home country for family reasons).
Doesn’t make sense but it is a lot of work to cancel permits so Canada doesn’t in cases like this. You will run into problems because your wife and child need special authorization to return to Canada due to covid and if you’re not working then they are unlikely to get approved.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Doesn’t make sense but it is a lot of work to cancel permits so Canada doesn’t in cases like this. You will run into problems because your wife and child need special authorization to return to Canada due to covid and if you’re not working then they are unlikely to get approved.
Thank you so much for the reply. I will take this into account.