+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife Visiting Canada

Cleric515

Mar 12, 2014
Here's my situation, I'm by birth a canadian citizen, I married an american citizen. We are currently in the process of filling out spousal sponsorship and permanent residency papers which will be mailed off before this upcoming December. Is it ok for my wife to visit me during christmas and have a return plane ticket say 3-4 months down the road showing intent of returning to the states and if she's allowed to do this, how soon can she come back to visit me again for a couple of months as being married and not being able to see one another is quite hard, manageable but hard.

My last question which I haven't been able to find out is:

my wife will send her permanent residency package off to me in which i will combine it with my spousal sponsorship package(i believe this is applying as outland since she doesn't reside in canada at all) and send it off to mississauga ontario, what happens when she is approved, do i receive the package of her permanent residency card or does she recieve it, reason i ask this is it would suck if she was visiting me in canada for a couple of months and the PR card went to her address in the states

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She will receive the COPR document directly. It will not be sent to the sponsor.
Then she will have to "land" using that COPR document at either a port of entry or by appointment at a CIC office. The PR card is not issued until well after she "lands".

Cleric515

Mar 12, 2014
I'm going to assume COPR stands for Certificate of Permanent Residency, when you say she will receive it directly does that mean it will be sent to her address used in the application because she intends to move back to her parents place when her lease ends in december of this year. Is there a way she can submit an alternate address so that if she is here visiting me and it's sent to her parents place of address then we will know that she should return back to the States so that she can legally live with me and earn dual citizenship in the future.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Cleric515 said:
I'm going to assume COPR stands for Certificate of Permanent Residency, when you say she will receive it directly does that mean it will be sent to her address used in the application because she intends to move back to her parents place when her lease ends in december of this year. Is there a way she can submit an alternate address so that if she is here visiting me and it's sent to her parents place of address then we will know that she should return back to the States so that she can legally live with me and earn dual citizenship in the future.
It will be sent to whatever address CIC have been most recently informed of as her mail correspondence address. She can change it while the application is being processed.
Not sure exactly what you mean about the "earn dual citizenship". Could you explain your plans?

Cleric515

Mar 12, 2014
in the future she tends to earn canadian citizenship as well without giving up her american citizenship

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Cleric515 said:
in the future she tends to earn canadian citizenship as well without giving up her american citizenship
No problem. I was unsure from your comment where she was intending to live.

Cleric515

Mar 12, 2014
my last question though, if she comes for 3 months to visit and returns to to the states, how long does she have to stay in the states before she can come back and visit me for another couple months while the application is being processed?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Cleric515 said:
my last question though, if she comes for 3 months to visit and returns to to the states, how long does she have to stay in the states before she can come back and visit me for another couple months while the application is being processed?
There is no set rule and it is totally up to the discretion of the CBSA officer that deals with her upon arrival.