+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife Sponsor / QUEBEC or ONTARIO

MJ90210

Mar 1, 2014
Dear Friends,

I am a Canadian citizen who will be applying for immigration status for my wife. I am currently an Ontario resident, but will be moving to Quebec for further studies. I am stuck in a dilemma, should I sponsor her through Quebec system or Ontario system. If anyone is experienced with these two provinces, please let me know what will be the best course of action, which province should I apply through.

Thanks
MJ

quebec23

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
Doc's Request.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2014
LANDED..........
28-01-2014
If you do the process through Québec, you'll need to have a CSQ (Certificat de Selection du Québec). In order to get it, you need to have an adress in Québec.
Usually it takes 30 days to get your CSQ. Once you get the first stage approval, as soon as possible, apply for your CSQ.
They will send it to your consulate/embassy.
(If you are applying outland).

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
One thing to think about, if you're going to be living in Québec after your wife becomes a PR, is that it might be easiest to go through Québec so you have "their" paperwork. To get my carte de soleil (health card), they wanted to see my CSQ. I think for my drivers' license, too, though I don't remember for sure. Québec is the only province that requires a CSQ (which adds a cost of around $266 to your application process). I'm not sure what happens if a PR moves to Québec from another province, as it's perfectly acceptable for a PR to move to another province, but life as a PR in Québec may be slightly less complicated with a Québec undertaking (what you fill out and submit to request the CSQ) and CSQ on hand.

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
QuebecOkie said:
One thing to think about, if you're going to be living in Québec after your wife becomes a PR, is that it might be easiest to go through Québec so you have "their" paperwork. To get my carte de soleil (health card), they wanted to see my CSQ. I think for my drivers' license, too, though I don't remember for sure. Québec is the only province that requires a CSQ (which adds a cost of around $266 to your application process). I'm not sure what happens if a PR moves to Québec from another province, as it's perfectly acceptable for a PR to move to another province, but life as a PR in Québec may be slightly less complicated with a Québec undertaking (what you fill out and submit to request the CSQ) and CSQ on hand.
The fee is now 269$ since January.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
MJ90210 said:
Dear Friends,

I am a Canadian citizen who will be applying for immigration status for my wife. I am currently an Ontario resident, but will be moving to Quebec for further studies. I am stuck in a dilemma, should I sponsor her through Quebec system or Ontario system. If anyone is experienced with these two provinces, please let me know what will be the best course of action, which province should I apply through.

Thanks
MJ

As another person ssid, if you decide to apply through Quebec, make sure you do the CSQ early on. We didn't realize it was so important and thought it was an entirely separate issue. We would have been done in Sept, ( roughly) but since we didn't allpy for the CSQ until CIC was requesting it toward the end, it added another 4 to 5 months to our wait.
I finally landed today, but I wish I had known how important the CSQ was early on. It would have spare us some of the agonizing wait.