Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
PPR in March
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Alhamdullilah on 4 April in Toronto came back after 2 weeks
Dear all, (especially senior members)!

My wife is 23 weeks pregnant and both of us are PR card holders.We came last year to Canada (Ontario) for 2 weeks and went back to UK where both of us had a job. We are not from a visa exempt country. I am thinking to come to Canada and have our baby delivered here so to avoid stress of being apart and other stresses after birth of our baby because then we need to apply for TRV and/or TRP or sponsor our baby. We cant come in February, the earliest we can come would be mid April as both of us have to give notice period to our jobs before leaving,
I have few queries :

1) Can I land in Alberta or any other province where you get medical from day 1 even we landed earlier in Toronto (though we didn't apply for OHIP but we made an Ontario ID and opened bank account and got SIN card).

2) If some one gets a job in Ontario (since my wife's relatives live there) can he/she get medical for free from the employer??

3) Does any one know any insurance company who can provide insurance?I know its hard to get insurance for someone who is pregnant! My wife pregnancy also is a high risk pregnancy and she already had few complications earlier on!!!!!

4) Does any one knows the cost how much it would be if we deliver a baby in Ontario (I know its extremely hard to tell because of complications and stuff) but any rough idea??

5) Or just stay in the UK get our baby delivered here and then either go to TRV/TRP or I come to Canada to sponsor my baby. Trying to avoid this option as much as I can

All your kind advises and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Muhammadk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

I'll try to advise you as best as I can. I will say straight off, given that it is a high-risk pregnancy, focus on figuring out the safest option for her to give birth instead of the best option in terms of immigration. Travelling to Canada at 31+ weeks during a high-risk pregnancy sounds quite risky, regardless of the potential immigration benefits for the child.

One factor that will greatly affect the process: will your child be a UK citizen?

1) AHCIP would most likely give you coverage on the day of arrival. If you were to leave Alberta within 6 months of the birth, they could charge you back for the full amount of coverage that you received. For a high risk pregnancy, that could easily run into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2) No. As far as I know, employer health care plans require a person to first have provincial health care.

3) No, not for pregnancy. Insurance companies provide coverage knowing that they will most likely not have to pay out. Insuring a pregnant woman who is guaranteed to give birth and cost them money is not a financially sound decision.

4) Given the fact that your wife's pregnancy is high-risk, she should be under the care of a doctor in a hospital for the birth. If it is routine, a few thousand dollars. If there are complications, tens of thousands of dollars. If there are serious complications, hundreds of thousands of dollars.

5) If the child is British, s/he would not need a TRV/TRP to enter Canada. You could bring the child with you to Canada without a visa and then sponsor the child. If the child will not be British and will have your home country non visa-exempt nationality, you would need the TRV/TRP for the child to enter Canada. if the TRV/TRP is refused, one parent would need to move to Canada for the duration of the sponsorship process.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agreed plus I'd like to add that in 5) bringing the baby in order to sponsor, if the baby arrives in Canada on a TRV, the baby may not be covered by health care until getting PR. With a TRP, it is more likely that the baby is covered but you may then have to sponsor the baby inland under humanitarian grounds which increases the processing time.

Muhammadk

Star Member
Jun 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2009
Doc's Request.
All sent with the application
AOR Received.
13-11-2009
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
PPR in March
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Dear canuck_in_uk and Leon,

Many thanks for your suggestions which sound quite wise and does make a lot of sense!

My child won't be a UK citizen so we have 2 options, either to go for a TRV/TRP or I go back to Canada and sponsor the child!!!

I think as you guys are advising I will probably stay in the UK until my wife gives birth.

Can you guys please suggest what would be a better option! 1) If I come to Canada and sponsor my kid, do you think it will take less time compared 2) to go to Canada on TRP and then apply from there. As Leon rightly said, TRP increases the processing time (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/baby-in-canada-on-trp-now-what-is-the-next-step-to-get-pr-t43671.90.html) and can take up to 2 years as I read in some cases on this forum.

Do you guys think that sponsoring the baby from Canada could take less time, currently the website says that processing time in London is 10 months but I am assuming that for a kid it should be less as no B/C will be done in this case and might be a straight forward one! Correct me if I am wrong please!!

Many thanks again for your kind advises and suggestions.

Sincere regards

Muhammadk

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it would be fairly straight forward to leave for Canada yourself and sponsor your child while your child stays in London. There are no background checks for babies and very low level medicals so it should be fast.

Muhammadk

Star Member
Jun 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2009
Doc's Request.
All sent with the application
AOR Received.
13-11-2009
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
PPR in March
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Many thanks guys!!!

Regards

Muhammadk

sharmausct

Jun 24, 2013
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
Med's Request
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 22-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Med's Done....
First on 27-01-2014, Second on 27-09-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
Passport Req..
First on 21-12-2013,Second on 16-10-2014 for daughter(due to family addition)
VISA ISSUED...
First on 06-06-2014, Second on 14-10-2014 (due to family addition)
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

I'll try to advise you as best as I can. I will say straight off, given that it is a high-risk pregnancy, focus on figuring out the safest option for her to give birth instead of the best option in terms of immigration. Travelling to Canada at 31+ weeks during a high-risk pregnancy sounds quite risky, regardless of the potential immigration benefits for the child.

One factor that will greatly affect the process: will your child be a UK citizen?

1) AHCIP would most likely give you coverage on the day of arrival. If you were to leave Alberta within 6 months of the birth, they could charge you back for the full amount of coverage that you received. For a high risk pregnancy, that could easily run into the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2) No. As far as I know, employer health care plans require a person to first have provincial health care.

3) No, not for pregnancy. Insurance companies provide coverage knowing that they will most likely not have to pay out. Insuring a pregnant woman who is guaranteed to give birth and cost them money is not a financially sound decision.

4) Given the fact that your wife's pregnancy is high-risk, she should be under the care of a doctor in a hospital for the birth. If it is routine, a few thousand dollars. If there are complications, tens of thousands of dollars. If there are serious complications, hundreds of thousands of dollars.

5) If the child is British, s/he would not need a TRV/TRP to enter Canada. You could bring the child with you to Canada without a visa and then sponsor the child. If the child will not be British and will have your home country non visa-exempt nationality, you would need the TRV/TRP for the child to enter Canada. if the TRV/TRP is refused, one parent would need to move to Canada for the duration of the sponsorship process.
hey i was thinking this way only...to avoid this sponsorship part i wanted to have our baby delivered in alberta, which is free of cost...but i was panning to come back after 1 month of delivery...so will they charge me for the delivery?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharmausct said:
hey i was thinking this way only...to avoid this sponsorship part i wanted to have our baby delivered in alberta, which is free of cost...but i was panning to come back after 1 month of delivery...so will they charge me for the delivery?
AB health care is for residents of AB so in order to be eligible, you have to make your home in AB for at least 6 months a year. If you stay for a month, leave for less than 6 months and then come back for another 5 months, you have met this requirement and there will be no risk to you.

If you leave after a month and do not come back to AB, it is possible that they back charge you as they may feel that you were never eligible for their health care in the first place. And they could request that you re-pay what they covered for you.

Here is AB health clause on eligibility:

An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

1.Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
2.Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
3.Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
4.Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.

kkhurram1

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2012
Doc's Request.
Aug 2013
Nomination.....
Aug 2012
AOR Received.
Feb 2013
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Feb 2013
Med's Request
18 Aug 2013
Med's Done....
1st Sept 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
27-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
19-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
26-Mar-2014
Leon said:
AB health care is for residents of AB so in order to be eligible, you have to make your home in AB for at least 6 months a year. If you stay for a month, leave for less than 6 months and then come back for another 5 months, you have met this requirement and there will be no risk to you.

If you leave after a month and do not come back to AB, it is possible that they back charge you as they may feel that you were never eligible for their health care in the first place. And they could request that you re-pay what they covered for you.

Here is AB health clause on eligibility:
Hi,

I am in a difficult situation. My wife is expecting to deliver in first week of June where in Ontario Health Card will be given on 26th June. Yesterday she went for regular scan and doctor told her that baby has some complication and will need surgery right after birth. I know my wife delivery will not be covered under Ontario Health Insurance(Being card will be with us on 26th) but will child surgery be covered by any chance.

A quick response will help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Khurram

kkhurram1

Star Member
Mar 10, 2013
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2012
Doc's Request.
Aug 2013
Nomination.....
Aug 2012
AOR Received.
Feb 2013
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Feb 2013
Med's Request
18 Aug 2013
Med's Done....
1st Sept 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
27-Feb-2014
VISA ISSUED...
19-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
26-Mar-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
I would suggest you actually contact OHIP.
Do you have any contact details?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kkhurram1 said:
Do you have any contact details?
Here:

Call ServiceOntario, INFOline at 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto, 416-314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559