+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife marry only for PR

nigel5556

Mar 22, 2018
Hi,

I moved to canada from India on student visa 6 years ago. I had applied for PR [not received PR yet] at Alberta state 2 years back, i got marry a year back and bring my wife to Canada and applied for her PR too. recently I just find out she had an affair with another man who live in india but she didn't accept it. I ask for divorce but she didn't agree and threatened me that she'll do something and call police on me. I ask her to leave canada and move back to india, but she don't want to leave canada. I ask for divorce with mutual understanding but she refuse until she gets PR. Please advise what should i do now?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
She isn't a PR yet? You sponsored her? Then contact IRCC and withdraw the application, as the sponsor you have the right. The police cannot do anything about it if you want to withdraw the sponsorship.

Talk to a family lawyer about a divorce.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I moved to canada from India on student visa 6 years ago. I had applied for PR [not received PR yet] at Alberta state 2 years back, i got marry a year back and bring my wife to Canada and applied for her PR too. recently I just find out she had an affair with another man who live in india but she didn't accept it. I ask for divorce but she didn't agree and threatened me that she'll do something and call police on me. I ask her to leave canada and move back to india, but she don't want to leave canada. I ask for divorce with mutual understanding but she refuse until she gets PR. Please advise what should i do now?

When you said "I had applied for PR [not received PR yet]".......does it mean your PR has not been granted or your PR application is still been processed.

If you PR application is still be processed, and you have included your wife as your spouse (i.e., told IRCC you are married), then you must apply for divorce (in Canada or India) and inform IRCC of the change in your family.

If your PR has been granted and you are now a PR in Canada, and now sponsoring your wife for PR, then you could withdraw the sponsorship since final Decision has not been Made. PR spousal sponsorship Withdrawal is not allowed after its Approved and Final Decision Made.

I feel your situation and wish its resolved amicably.........Good Luck.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

Do you mean you're applying for PR right now with an economic application (like express entry, etc) and your wife is a spouse/dependent in your app?

If so, you should immediately contact your visa office, tell them you've separated from your wife and will soon start legal divorce process, and to either remove her entirely from your application or to at least move her to a non-accompanying dependent status.

If she is already threatening to make up charges and go to police against you, then you may want to contact a lawyer to prepare for this. Even if she makes up charges that are absolutely not true, police tend to believe the story upfront and it can still be a legal disaster for you. Talk to a lawyer and perhaps you can pro-actively make a statement to police that she has already threatened you with this. I would ask her about divorce issues via email so you can have a record of her responses/threats, or use a recorder app if on the phone.

nigel5556

Mar 22, 2018
When you said "I had applied for PR [not received PR yet]".......does it mean your PR has not been granted or your PR application is still been processed.

If you PR application is still be processed, and you have included your wife as your spouse (i.e., told IRCC you are married), then you must apply for divorce (in Canada or India) and inform IRCC of the change in your family.

If your PR has been granted and you are now a PR in Canada, and now sponsoring your wife for PR, then you could withdraw the sponsorship since final Decision has not been Made. PR spousal sponsorship Withdrawal is not allowed after its Approved and Final Decision Made.

I feel your situation and wish its resolved amicably.........Good Luck.
Thank you so much for your response, I'll take al least 3-4 months to get my PR. If I contact IRCC to drop her name as a spouse. Do you think I'll postpone my time to get PR?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your response, I'll take al least 3-4 months to get my PR. If I contact IRCC to drop her name as a spouse. Do you think I'll postpone my time to get PR?
1. If your application for PR will be approved in 3 to 4 months.
2. If you included your wife as a spouse in your PR application.

If YES, to 1 and 2 above.
If you could get a divorce and drop her name as a spouse within 3 to 4 months, then you could get your PR within 3 to 4 months.
Otherwise, you may have to inform IRCC of the new development and ask for a delay in issuing PR until you get a divorce, drop her as spouse before PR is issued, which will may delay you getting PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like you are scared of delaying your PR application. You will not be able to do anything once you receive PR. It is now or never. Assume that once she gets PR she will remain in Canada. Sounds like you are on the way to a divorce. Also if she remains in Canada and you get a divorce you may be required to provide spousal support, etc.

nigel5556

Mar 22, 2018
Seems like you are scared of delaying your PR application. You will not be able to do anything once you receive PR. It is now or never. Assume that once she gets PR she will remain in Canada. Sounds like you are on the way to a divorce. Also if she remains in Canada and you get a divorce you may be required to provide spousal support, etc.
I'm not scared of delaying PR, I'm scared that once she find out that I'm going to drop her name from PR she's going to call police on me for make up charges.

Sajosh12

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
AUG 28
File Transfer...
NOV 23
I'm not scared of delaying PR, I'm scared that once she find out that I'm going to drop her name from PR she's going to call police on me for make up charges.
what is she gonna tell the police? that you want a divorce ? lol let her call the police, they're not dumb you know

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
As I said above, you need to talk to a lawyer and possibly inform police of this, and try to get something on record of her threatening to make up charges of spousal abuse or something against you.