+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife is pregrant after PR stamped

kpri

Dec 30, 2014
Hi All,

We got our PR stamped in the month of May valid till April 2016. Now my situation changed where we are expecting a baby arount feb 2016.
till then only i can travel to Canada to complete my landing. My wife wouldn't be able to travel due to pregnancy complications until she deliver the baby.

Now my questions is what is the option i have?

Option 1: Inform CIC about the change of situation and get my PR cancelled. wait until baby delivered and apply for baby PR application. submit all our passport again?

Option 2: I will land first become Permanent Resident. then sponser both my wife and children?

Option 3: I will land first become permanent Resident. My wife will land after she deliver the baby (we are expecting the baby in the month of feb 2016, visa valid until april 2016). then we submit sponsership application for kid?

Please let me know what is the correct way to move forward.

Thanks !!

Regards
KP

CECPRAspirant

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hello,
First of all congratulations.

What I feel is, if you want to enter into Canada;

1) Inform CIC and get the opinion - plan based on response...
2) Considering the CIC process times I feel, you plan to land first and than you can sponsor your family.

I am not expert in visa related topics. these are just my opinion.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
kpri said:
Hi All,

We got our PR stamped in the month of May valid till April 2016. Now my situation changed where we are expecting a baby arount feb 2016.
till then only i can travel to Canada to complete my landing. My wife wouldn't be able to travel due to pregnancy complications until she deliver the baby.

Now my questions is what is the option i have?

Option 1: Inform CIC about the change of situation and get my PR cancelled. wait until baby delivered and apply for baby PR application. submit all our passport again?

Option 2: I will land first become Permanent Resident. then sponser both my wife and children?

Option 3: I will land first become permanent Resident. My wife will land after she deliver the baby (we are expecting the baby in the month of feb 2016, visa valid until april 2016). then we submit sponsership application for kid?

Please let me know what is the correct way to move forward.

Thanks !!

Regards
KP
This is my personal opinion:

Looks like you already have your visa. Looking at your options:

Option 1: You can inform CIC about the change of situation which is well and good. I am not sure how CIC will respond because your file will effectively be put on hold until your wife completes the delivery which is practically another year given the timelines.

Option 2: Your wife already has a PR visa so not sure what you mean by sponsor her later. As for the kid, maybe others can shed light more on it but personally I would still say no to this option as well.

Option 3: This option will invalidate your whole PR file I believe because if this happens your family composition has changed.

My advice - Depending upon your province of destination, land in Canada and give the birth to the child in Canada. Some provinces you have to wait 3 months before the coverage kicks in (eg. Ontario) whereas others give it right away (eg. Alberta). Be advised that you need to reside in the province for minimum six months else you can be held liable for the delivery costs.

I am sure you would have considered this possibility but not sure why you cannot take it. This would be the best case scenario.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
plus if your wife gives birth in Canada, the child will automatically be a Canadian citizen.

kpri

Dec 30, 2014
in the current situation my wife is not ready to travel before delivering the baby. We consulted the doctors, they are suggesting no to take the risk.
I am going to land in Ontario, so there will be 3 month waiting period that is another pain.

If i inform CIC immediatly, does anybody know what will happend next?

Is it okay, if i travel before my baby born and sponsor my baby later? (possibly my wife again since she may not be able to travel before the visa expiry date).