+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife is Pregnant... What to do?

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
Long story short: My wife and I were told we wouldn't get pregnant if she took birth control as instructed (every day at the same time, never miss a pill and wait a few weeks before having sex so the pill can start working). Well, that was a load of horse manure. She got pregnant a month after starting the pill.

Oh, and did I mention we were on depo-provera before and she got pregnant two months into the treatment and had a miscarriage? Yeah, they don't tell you about the people contraceptives don't work for (sorry, I'm very bitter about all of this).

Anyway, so she's pregnant and we're on our 4th month of PR application (she's Nigerian). I heard that by July (the 7th month) we will be asked to do our medicals and be able to get a health card so I don't go bankrupt from the baby delivery. Is that correct? I'm really concerned about all of this. Because if I have to pay, well... There goes the car and the down payment for a tiny house.

It's so hard being the only one who can work (her student visa is expired and she can't get a work permit)...

Advice?

*** ADDITIONAL: I didn't see the section called "Health" and now I'm not sure how to move this post. Do I have to delete it and re-post it there?

McDutch

Dec 20, 2011
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
File Transfer...
11-08-2012
Med's Done....
REDONE: 22-01-2013
LANDED..........
26-04-2013
This is not an immigration issue

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming you applied inland and there are no complications with your file, you should receive first stage approval six months after submitting the application. Once you have first stage approval your wife will qualify for health care.

One thing that strikes me as odd is your question about the medical. The medical should have been completed before you submitted the application. Not sure if this will have any impact on first stage approval.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
For more info and feedback on health care in Canada check out the "health" section of this forum: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/health-b40.0/

roambee

Feb 15, 2013
well if she is pregnant then she will be provided an X-ray deferred letter by the penal and you will attach with your application, after delivery the X-rays will be done and sent to the CIC that what happens in case of pregnancy.

this is what I could get from the question

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
McDutch said:
This is not an immigration issue
I applied for PR under the family class and I feel that getting a health card is part of the immigration process. If you could kindly tell me how to move my post to the "Health" category I will. I didn't see that category when I posted.

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
scylla said:
Assuming you applied inland and there are no complications with your file, you should receive first stage approval six months after submitting the application. Once you have first stage approval your wife will qualify for health care.

One thing that strikes me as odd is your question about the medical. The medical should have been completed before you submitted the application. Not sure if this will have any impact on first stage approval.
What? Before? We actually called and spoke to numerous representatives at the offices and they told us that medicals are completed only after you receive your first approval.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
amitheonlyone said:
What? Before? We actually called and spoke to numerous representatives at the offices and they told us that medicals are completed only after you receive your first approval.
I think for inland that may be true since the processing time is currently at 14 months total and medicals are only good for one year unless the visa office decides to let you extend it. With that said, as scylla mentioned if there are no hiccups with your application, your wife should get health care after 6 months. And the pill never works. Almost everyone I know who's been on it has gotten pregnant while taking it. Your better off buying condoms than taking it, but that's just my humble opinion.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
amitheonlyone said:
Long story short: My wife and I were told we wouldn't get pregnant if she took birth control as instructed (every day at the same time, never miss a pill and wait a few weeks before having sex so the pill can start working). Well, that was a load of horse manure. She got pregnant a month after starting the pill.

Oh, and did I mention we were on depo-provera before and she got pregnant two months into the treatment and had a miscarriage? Yeah, they don't tell you about the people contraceptives don't work for (sorry, I'm very bitter about all of this).

Anyway, so she's pregnant and we're on our 4th month of PR application (she's Nigerian). I heard that by July (the 7th month) we will be asked to do our medicals and be able to get a health card so I don't go bankrupt from the baby delivery. Is that correct? I'm really concerned about all of this. Because if I have to pay, well... There goes the car and the down payment for a tiny house.

It's so hard being the only one who can work (her student visa is expired and she can't get a work permit)...

Advice?

*** ADDITIONAL: I didn't see the section called "Health" and now I'm not sure how to move this post. Do I have to delete it and re-post it there?
The healthcare question depends on your province, but most are a 3 month wait if she's in Canada. The best thing to do is check the province's website or call a registry and see what they say.

As far as her medical exam goes, she can explain she's pregnant and ask to wait. It would be best to include a letter from her doctor - but not necessary.

I sympathize with you about the only one working. My ex-husband barely worked while he was in college, leaving it all on me. Now, I can't work and my husband has the shoulder it all. It's tough, but I think it will make the good times sweeter. :)

Many African VO's are over two years for Outland, so medicals aren't submitted with the file. Pretoria is 26 months, for example. For a VO like that, the applicant won't do the medical until he or she is called. VOs that are close to one year, some people do with the application and some people wait. Inland, I think most people would take the gamble the medical would be extended versus adding 2 months to processing to do the medical later, but it's entirely up to the applicant in those cases.

Don't worry about posting in the wrong section. Most people don't read the 'health section.' You'll get more answers here.

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
aerogurl87 said:
I think for inland that may be true since the processing time is currently at 14 months total and medicals are only good for one year unless the visa office decides to let you extend it. With that said, as scylla mentioned if there are no hiccups with your application, your wife should get health care after 6 months. And the pill never works. Almost everyone I know who's been on it has gotten pregnant while taking it. Your better off buying condoms than taking it, but that's just my humble opinion.
I know we're not supposed to go off on tangents here, but I just wanted to say something:
Yes, I should have got condoms. And I was using them before. But they take so much intimacy out of everything and when you're married intimacy is extremely important (well, not just for married couples). We were told "Unprotected sex on the pill is fine. You wont get pregnant." Lies. Well, we were also told the same thing with depo and there was not only a pregnancy but a miscarriage. I know, I know... I'm an idiot. I should have (after the first time) went to condoms again, but every time we tried using them the intimacy just dissolved and our relationship suffered. So like an idiot I believed the pharmacist.

Sorry for the rant, but very few things in life are black and white.

Ok, now in regards to what you said about health care, great! I just pray there are no complications...

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
amitheonlyone said:
I know we're not supposed to go off on tangents here, but I just wanted to say something:
Yes, I should have got condoms. And I was using them before. But they take so much intimacy out of everything and when you're married intimacy is extremely important (well, not just for married couples). We were told "Unprotected sex on the pill is fine. You wont get pregnant." Lies. Well, we were also told the same thing with depo and there was not only a pregnancy but a miscarriage. I know, I know... I'm an idiot. I should have (after the first time) went to condoms again, but every time we tried using them the intimacy just dissolved and our relationship suffered. So like an idiot I believed the pharmacist.

Ok, now in regards to what you said about health care, great! I just pray there are no complications...
If it helps at all, depo actually killed my ability to get pregnant at all.

zenn

Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
10-05-2012; Re-med: 06/2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
26-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
amitheonlyone said:

Hey,
Sorry that you're going through such a hard time- but then think about it this way, it's only a matter of time before life becomes sweet... Think about all those people who have applied for outland PR and spend the first year or two of their married life miles away from their partner! Just saying that things-life-has a way of working out :)

Regarding the pill, it does not have a 100% success rate... But then neither does the condom! I know of people who have got pregnant after using a condom too! Mistakes happen... It's unfortunate that it happened to you but you must just make sure that mother and baby are healthy :)

amitheonlyone

Mar 16, 2012
zenn said:
Hey,
Sorry that you're going through such a hard time- but then think about it this way, it's only a matter of time before life becomes sweet... Think about all those people who have applied for outland PR and spend the first year or two of their married life miles away from their partner! Just saying that things-life-has a way of working out :)

Regarding the pill, it does not have a 100% success rate... But then neither does the condom! I know of people who have got pregnant after using a condom too! Mistakes happen... It's unfortunate that it happened to you but you must just make sure that mother and baby are healthy :)
Exactly... I just need to find a way to get her health covered asap. She doesn't have any insurance now either as you can't get insurance without at least having a student visa and hers is expired.

zenn

Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
26-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
amitheonlyone said:
Exactly... I just need to find a way to get her health covered asap. She doesn't have any insurance now either as you can't get insurance without at least having a student visa and hers is expired.
So I went to Canada for 6 months with my husband after we got married on a visit visa... I took health insurance from my home country for the duration of the stay... See if by any chance she can still do the same just incase... It may cost quite a bit but it will definitely be a LOT cheaper than paying for her hospital bills when the time comes... (this is in case you are not able to get her health insurance in time...)

zenn

Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2012
AOR Received.
26-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
26-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
amikety said:
If it helps at all, depo actually killed my ability to get pregnant at all.
OMG that is crazy! How did that happen? So sorry to hear about it...