+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife is here on a TRP until PR processes, health insurance?

PaperLantern

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-12-2018
My wife originally received a TRP to cover her criminal inadmissibility for a misdemeanour shoplifting charge that happened when she was 18. She applied for permanent rehabilitation and received it and we sent in the PR forms all while the TRP was still active. She crosses to the USA every day for work and when she crossed back yesterday an agent noted that the TRP was days away from expiring and recommended she speak with an immigration officer. When she did, she was asked if she was living in Canada and she answered honestly that she spends 99.9% of her time in Canada and although she has a US address where her mail goes, US bank accounts, bills, etc. she really only spends time there to visit family or go to work/school. So, the agent said he would renew her multiple entry TRP for a year and hopefully that would be enough time for PR to be processed.

As a temporary resident (this is a temporary resident permit not visa) can she apply for healthcare in New Brunswick? My work won't cover her because she doesn't have a healthcare number in Canada so she can't be on my life insurance, prescription insurance, etc.

Also, should we notify CIC of this new TRP? We applied outland and listed her US address as her residential address. Thanks! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife originally received a TRP to cover her criminal inadmissibility for a misdemeanour shoplifting charge that happened when she was 18. She applied for permanent rehabilitation and received it and we sent in the PR forms all while the TRP was still active. She crosses to the USA every day for work and when she crossed back yesterday an agent noted that the TRP was days away from expiring and recommended she speak with an immigration officer. When she did, she was asked if she was living in Canada and she answered honestly that she spends 99.9% of her time in Canada and although she has a US address where her mail goes, US bank accounts, bills, etc. she really only spends time there to visit family or go to work/school. So, the agent said he would renew her multiple entry TRP for a year and hopefully that would be enough time for PR to be processed.

As a temporary resident (this is a temporary resident permit not visa) can she apply for healthcare in New Brunswick? My work won't cover her because she doesn't have a healthcare number in Canada so she can't be on my life insurance, prescription insurance, etc.

Also, should we notify CIC of this new TRP? We applied outland and listed her US address as her residential address. Thanks! :)
I suggest you contact New Brunswick health directly.

IRCC will know about the TRP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You got really lucky because you are clearly living in Canada. Not sure if other CBSA agents would have been that nice.

PaperLantern

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-12-2018
You got really lucky because you are clearly living in Canada. Not sure if other CBSA agents would have been that nice.
Right, I mean, we didn't try to hide it. She had a TRP which was allowing her to stay in Canada as long as the TRP is active. It just got renewed. Will this create issues for PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Right, I mean, we didn't try to hide it. She had a TRP which was allowing her to stay in Canada as long as the TRP is active. It just got renewed. Will this create issues for PR?
It's not about that. Crossing the border regularly to go to work often creates a problem for people before they get their PR. One day CBSA just doesn't allow them back into Canada.

PaperLantern

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-12-2018
It's not about that. Crossing the border regularly to go to work often creates a problem for people before they get their PR. One day CBSA just doesn't allow them back into Canada.
Oh, that's scary. Maybe it's because we live in a very small area and the agents basically know everyone personally? I dunno. Either way I'm counting my lucky stars. :)