Wife got pregnant before BC msp coverage begins

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
@Leon,

Yes but how am I not meeting eligibility criteria. I am living from Jan 1st 2017 - July 1st 2017 which is 6 months in a calendar year and I am paying premium for each of those 6 months. Since I am moving in Dec 2016, I am also fulfilling the wait period to start being eligible for coverage in March 2017.

So by doing this, how am I breaking the rules?
Did I say you are not meeting eligibility criteria or breaking the rules if you do that?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yes but how am I not meeting eligibility criteria. I am living from Jan 1st 2017 - July 1st 2017 which is 6 months in a calendar year and I am paying premium for each of those 6 months. Since I am moving in Dec 2016, I am also fulfilling the wait period to start being eligible for coverage in March 2017.
So by doing this, how am I breaking the rules?
Speaking for myself, you have previously posted about coming to BC and then moving to another province immediately after birth, without providing much in the way of details. That would make you ineligible. You've also posted about applying for OHIP and AHIP, so it's all a bit confusing. I commented on
i AM pr IN CANADA
and that being a PR or citizen does not entitle you to health coverage if you haven't met the criteria. No one has, up to this point, mentioned you were breaking the rules, based on the information you provided.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Buletruck said:
Speaking for myself, you have previously posted about coming to BC and then moving to another province immediately after birth, without providing much in the way of details. That would make you ineligible. You've also posted about applying for OHIP and AHIP, so it's all a bit confusing.
It seems that this person lives outside of Canada and is trying to find any way that they can to give birth for free here and then return to their country as soon as possible.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
It seems that this person lives outside of Canada and is trying to find any way that they can to give birth for free here and then return to their country as soon as possible.
Yes, she posts different scenarios like moving to BC, moving to AB etc. but it's all questions on how to get the birth paid for without being on the hook for health care fraud. I don't know if she wants to return to her home country or keep her options open to move to another province though.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Hello all,

Sorry if that came across as some sort of accusation. I guess I was just trying to make sure I wasn't on the hook for health care fraud as Leon rightly pointed out so.
Thing is different people have to share different stories. One girl in Vancouver told me that she was a citizen and yet charged 20k for a c-dection because she said there was some rule that you have to stay 6 months of your pregnancy in Vancouver, which she didnt (That made no sense to me)

So that is why I just wanted to find out if there was any additional thing in addition to the eligibility criteria.

As far as moving to different provinces is concerned, those are just examples to find out what happens if you have to leave a province unintentionally due to change in circumstances etc. I have also used examples of different provinces to find out the most feasible solution for me

Sorry, once again for confusing you all and Leon, I specially apologize to you if it felt I was blatantly questioning your comment. I jsut need to make a big decision in life of giving birth in Canada and out of pure ethics, I want to make sure I don't break any rules and be charged for health care fraud

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
@cancuck_in_uk

Just to clarify, I have no ill intentions if my posts came across as that.
Yes, I do need to come back for some personal and work related commitments but my eventual plan is to move to Canada which is why I want to give birth to the child in Canada as I want to be saved from the hassle of sponsorship.

You might have noticed a lot of posts about dependant child sponsorship as well because if I am unable to give birth without meeting eligibility criteria, sponsoring would be my second option and I need to make sure I meet residency obligation in Canada ( which I am not sure at this point if I would be able to do). Giving birth in Canada would also have an added advantage of increasing my time spent in Canada (lets say if i stay 6 months in Canada in order to give birth)

And from my posts, I just try to find out the legal way of doing things. Sorry if that confused people.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
Thing is different people have to share different stories. One girl in Vancouver told me that she was a citizen and yet charged 20k for a c-dection because she said there was some rule that you have to stay 6 months of your pregnancy in Vancouver, which she didnt (That made no sense to me)

So that is why I just wanted to find out if there was any additional thing in addition to the eligibility criteria.
I am not aware of any such requirement. This woman in Vancouver probably misunderstood why MSP cut her coverage and thought it was 6 months of her pregnancy rather than 6 months in a calendar year. She might have been spending time outside Canada or in other provinces and never actually realized that she had not spent 6 months in BC that year or might not even have understood that it was a requirement in order to keep her health care. Or maybe she knew and didn't think they'd find out.

Jul 19, 2015
Hi Dear All
I have a question. I have study permit in BC. I and my wife have MSP.
Does MSP coverage the hospital costs of pregnancy?
Thank you for sharing info.