+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife got 1 year TRV, could I apply inland sponsorship after arriving canada?

minhduc

Oct 30, 2017
Wife got 1 year TRV, planning to come Canada in April and plan to apply for inland sponsorship with OPW. Basically, i would like to know if she could stay with me in canada during sponsorship given her visitor status. I really appreciate your opinions.

1- Could I apply for inland sponsorship after she visited canada?

2- Could she stay with me in canada during inland sponsorship?

3- Do she need visitor record after 6 month visitor period expired?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
1 & 2: Yes.

3: She can stay in Canada as long as whatever visa she has allows. If she's getting a 1 year visa she can stay for a year. If the OWP Application is not processed within this time she'd need to apply for a visitor record extension. However, it's more likely she'd receive her OWP in less than a year, in which case she's no longer considered a visitor, so you wouldn't need to apply for a visa extension.

Reactions: minhduc

minhduc

Oct 30, 2017
1 & 2: Yes.

3: She can stay in Canada as long as whatever visa she has allows. If she's getting a 1 year visa she can stay for a year. If the OWP Application is not processed within this time she'd need to apply for a visitor record extension. However, it's more likely she'd receive her OWP in less than a year, in which case she's no longer considered a visitor, so you wouldn't need to apply for a visa extension.
Thank you. I have another question. Is it possible for my wife and I to travel at the end of the year (TRV still valid at that time) ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I have another question. Is it possible for my wife and I to travel at the end of the year (TRV still valid at that time) ?
It is always a risk to leaveCanada if applying for inland sponsorship. Chances are nothing will happen but no guarantees. Any travel would also have to be limited to 2-3 weeks because you are applying for inland sponsorship which requires you to be in Canada.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
It is always a risk to leaveCanada if applying for inland sponsorship. Chances are nothing will happen but no guarantees. Any travel would also have to be limited to 2-3 weeks because you are applying for inland sponsorship which requires you to be in Canada.
Exactly this.

I'd also add that traveling in and out of Canada with a valid visitor visa (covid restrictions notwithstanding) is easy. The CBSA is happy to let you leave and return with a valid TRV. It's the IRCC that doesn't really like either the inland PR sponsor or applicant to be out of the country for very long. canuck78's suggestion of 2-3 weeks max is right on. Any longer and you *might* find that your application has been denied upon your return.

I strongly suggest you wait until the PR application is approved before leaving the country for more than a few days.

Reactions: minhduc