+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife gets Canadian Citizenship

EPA

Aug 3, 2018
Hello everyone,

My wife is a PR and will get her citizenship next year.
When she became Canadian, could my kids apply for the Citizenship after her?

Which would be the process for them to get their Canadian Citizenship?

Thank you for the attention given to this post.

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

My wife is a PR and will get her citizenship next year.
When she became Canadian, could my kids apply for the Citizenship after her?

Which would be the process for them to get their Canadian Citizenship?

Thank you for the attention given to this post.

Regards
Are your children permanent residents?

Reactions: EPA

EPA

Aug 3, 2018
Hello Scylia Thank you for your quick response,

Yes they both are PR for now but since they have to study in our home town (out of Canada) they wont be able to meet the 730 days to renew their PR next year.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Yes they both are PR for now but since they have to study in our home town (out of Canada) they wont be able to meet the 730 days to renew their PR next year.

Thanks
While the children do not have to meet the same physical residence requirements as an adult applicant, I believe that they do have to meet the PR residency obligation requirements. You may need to discuss your situation with a competent immigration lawyer.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/minors.html

• Minors are not subject to the language, residence and knowledge requirements that adults are subject to under the Citizenship Act. However, citizenship officers need to check whether the minors still have permanent resident status, i.e., they have maintained their permanent resident status. Identification, documents and prohibitions will be verified prior to the Oath taking, usually at the citizenship ceremony.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you will find that choosing to study in a home country when schooling is available in Canada is not viewed as a reason not for children to meet their PR. Are your children getting close to 22? Your wife would be able to sponsor them again if the are under 21. Sounds like your wife will likely have to sponsor you as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks
In that case the answer is no. You children cannot benefit since they don't meet the residency requirements for PR.

EPA

Aug 3, 2018
Think you will find that choosing to study in a home country when schooling is available in Canada is not viewed as a reason not for children to meet their PR. Are your children getting close to 22? Your wife would be able to sponsor them again if the are under 21. Sounds like your wife will likely have to sponsor you as well.
Hello Canuck78 thank you for your response, my Children are 9 and 6 years old.

EPA

Aug 3, 2018
Hello Canuck78 thank you for your response, my Children are 9 and 6 years old.
In that case the answer is no. You children cannot benefit since they don't meet the residency requirements for PR.
Hello Scylia Thank you, can a Permanent Resident sponsor kids (my wife when she renew her PR as she would be able to do it) they are 9 and 6 years old.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Scylia Thank you, can a Permanent Resident sponsor kids (my wife when she renew her PR as she would be able to do it) they are 9 and 6 years old.
Yes she can sponsor them as long as she meets her RO. Why did the children not go to Canada with her in the first place? I assume your whole family applied for PR around 5 years ago?

Reactions: EPA and scylla

EPA

Aug 3, 2018
Yes she can sponsor them as long as she meets her RO. Why did the children not go to Canada with her in the first place? I assume your whole family applied for PR around 5 years ago?
Hello Scylia I really apreciate the time & attention given to this issue, thank you.

Here it goes, long story short
In 2010 push by security issues my Wife, Daughter & Me apllied for a Canadian PR in the mean time my Son was born.
In 2014 we recieved our PR's each one
Since 2014 we have been traveling to Canada for months (in diferent periods of times) with all the idea of establishing, for one thing or another we had to return back to Our Born Country (for kids to finish school periods, personal issues siblings healths in danger, My bussines requirements, etc.) Now we are established in Canada and will stay here until my wife renews her PR next year. In late 2017 and early 2018 my Wife came by her self to Canada for 3 months to spend time in canada, study the posible leaving areas, arrange childrens school, lease an apartment, etc. and the Kids stayed at home attending school and I stayed attending my bussines. Now we are established in Canada but for diferent issues my kids will to travel some more weeks to Our country for 6 weeks (not all together but in parts as the Canadian School schedule allows them). So that is why my Wife will complete her PR renew requierments on time to do so and my Kids will be short for aproximately 4.5 months.

This is why my question that if My Wife renews Her PR on time my Kids could do it with her? Is there a legal way and support to do so?

While my Wife will renew her PR on time My Kids PR will expire and that will complicate things if They need eventually To travel outside Canada this is the reason Im trying get a legal and sustented way to Renew thier PR with My Wife renewal

What happens if my Kids PR expires while they are in Canada?

What happens if my Kids PR expires while they are out of Canada?

Ps: For bussines issues I will have to renounce my PR.

Thank you very much for your time and help hope to hear from You soon.

Best Regards
EPA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Scylia I really apreciate the time & attention given to this issue, thank you.

Here it goes, long story short
In 2010 push by security issues my Wife, Daughter & Me apllied for a Canadian PR in the mean time my Son was born.
In 2014 we recieved our PR's each one
Since 2014 we have been traveling to Canada for months (in diferent periods of times) with all the idea of establishing, for one thing or another we had to return back to Our Born Country (for kids to finish school periods, personal issues siblings healths in danger, My bussines requirements, etc.) Now we are established in Canada and will stay here until my wife renews her PR next year. In late 2017 and early 2018 my Wife came by her self to Canada for 3 months to spend time in canada, study the posible leaving areas, arrange childrens school, lease an apartment, etc. and the Kids stayed at home attending school and I stayed attending my bussines. Now we are established in Canada but for diferent issues my kids will to travel some more weeks to Our country for 6 weeks (not all together but in parts as the Canadian School schedule allows them). So that is why my Wife will complete her PR renew requierments on time to do so and my Kids will be short for aproximately 4.5 months.

This is why my question that if My Wife renews Her PR on time my Kids could do it with her? Is there a legal way and support to do so?

As mentioned before RO is individual so the children will also need meet the 730days within 5 years.

While my Wife will renew her PR on time My Kids PR will expire and that will complicate things if They need eventually To travel outside Canada this is the reason Im trying get a legal and sustented way to Renew thier PR with My Wife renewal

What happens if my Kids PR expires while they are in Canada?

No problem.

What happens if my Kids PR expires while they are out of Canada?

They will not be able to board a plane. If they come via the US they will likely be reported if they haven't met there RO and they will likely have their PR revoked.

Ps: For bussines issues I will have to renounce my PR. You wife will still have to declare you income while she is staying in Canada as family income.

Thank you very much for your time and help hope to hear from You soon.

Best Regards
EPA