+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife becomes pregnant during sponsorship

janniboy88

Sep 23, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am a PR and want to sponsor my wife. We intend to come to Canada this July and then send the application for sponsorship (outside canada). Today we learned that my wife is pregnant and now we are wondering if my wife should have her delivery in Canada (she does not have any Social insurance so far) or if we should stay in Germany and come to Canada next year in 2012 after the delivery. We are also afraid of the hospital costs that may incur. Is there anyone with experiences or some advice?

Thank you very much

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janniboy88 said:
Hi everyone,

I am a PR and want to sponsor my wife. We intend to come to Canada this July and then send the application for sponsorship (outside canada). Today we learned that my wife is pregnant and now we are wondering if my wife should have her delivery in Canada (she does not have any Social insurance so far) or if we should stay in Germany and come to Canada next year in 2012 after the delivery. We are also afraid of the hospital costs that may incur. Is there anyone with experiences or some advice?

Thank you very much
Hospital costs for a normal delivery would run about $10,000 without health insurance. If the child is born in Canada, they are a Canadian citizen. If not, they will be added/included as a dependent to your application to sponsor your spouse.

You need to consider your residency obligations. You state you are a PR but you don't live in Canada. In order to maintain your PR status, you must live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years. You also must live in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse.

Lots to consider.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Besides, as PR you need to be in Canada to sponsor your wife.

If your wife lands in one of the provinces (such as Alberta) which health insurance are covered from day one, you might not have to pay the hospital cost for normal delivery.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Besides, as PR you need to be in Canada to sponsor your wife.

If your wife lands in one of the provinces (such as Alberta) which health insurance are covered from day one, you might not have to pay the hospital cost for normal delivery.
Yes, but now that the wife is pregnant, she won't be able to complete the medical for landing until after the baby is born.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I'd stay in Germany. She'll have free health care there (I assume); plus while she can visit Canada while pregnant, she can't get the health check while pregnant (the X-ray will hurt the fetus), so she won't be a PR if she gives birth in Canada, thus incurring high health care costs.
Just make sure you come to Canada in time to fulfill your residency obligations.

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
Having faced a similar situation I would say stay in Germany. Having a child here in Canada is not cheap if you do not have any health insurance etc. It was already mentioned that costs would be around $10,000 CAD. When we looked at it a couple of months ago it was closer to $12,000 for a delivery without any complications. If there are complications, like a c-section is needed, the cost shoots up and up.
On top of the delivery costs she would need to see a doctor on a regular basis..for the first 6 months every month and then after that every 2 weeks and when you get to the last month it's every week. Those doctors visits will have to be paid out of your pocket and it varies from doctor to doctor. We found sum that charged $40 per visit and others between $200 and $300 per. Now there is also the cost of blood tests etc and ultrasound(s). Last time we checked an ultrasound was minimum $200 here but it varies from location to location.
Think long and hard about it.

Tiggilicious

Jun 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2011
AOR Received.
28-06-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Request
31-07-2011
Med's Done....
14-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2011
Using a midwife for a home birth is MUCH cheaper, about $3000'ish

Morena

Star Member
Jul 2, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02- 2011
Doc's Request.
29-03-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
23-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2011
LANDED..........
Soon!!!
I went through the experience of getting pregnant while visiting Canada. Finally, for fear of being separated, we decided that the baby was born in Canada. Costs are soaring. My delivery was cesarean. The hospital bill lfueron $ 8.000 and $ 2000 extra for cesarean section. The costs of medical visits and Laboratory were around $ 3000. The hospital bill and make payment plans, medical visits and laboratory hque pay at the time. So my advice is to have her baby where she can get medical coverage, because it is very expensive. The only thing different in that it is possible to complete the medical tests while she is pregnant. I realize all medical tests, including X-ray. Of course it is important that the X-ray will do so during the 3rd trimester of gestation and with proper protection and medical authorization.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can get the X-ray while pregnant (third trimester only, as previous poster mentions), but most doctors will advise against it, and will refuse to do it. Waiting a few months more to help ensure your unborn child is not harmed would be my advice.