+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wife(applicant) previously divorced, is previous nikahnama required

Luv4all88

Star Member
Oct 21, 2023
Hi guys I hope someone can offer me your advice, I am a Canadian citizen and married to my wife for almost 2 years with whom I have a 10 month old daughter.

This is my first marriage but my wife was previously arranged married in 2011 and divorced like 6 months later. I understand according to the country specific checklist(Pakistan in our case) that she will need to submit her divorce certificates but it doesn't mention about PREVIOUS marriage nikahnama or PREVIOUS marriage registration, do those need to be submitted as well. If anyone has gone through this please share your experience.

I am asking because on my wife's previous nikahnama, her DOB year is written 90 instead of 94 even though she had a birth certificate with correct DOB. She does not know how that mistake happened since her marriage was completely arranged(she had never seen her ex husband) , and also her family is from limited education background and perhaps that's why they failed to ensure correct DOB.

If we submit her divorce certificates, will IRCC care to request her previous nikahnama, marriage documents, do they even have any relavance? If so, is it even possible to make that correction now for a previous divorced marriage 12 years ago? or Should we just add a LOE?

BTW all her other documents and her marriage with me have the correct DOB.