+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why Visa refusal on low marks

josephDev

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
I just went thru some people's caips note, I wonder why visa are rejected stating that one has obtained low % or marks, If the student is accepted to a college or university, it directly means that he qualifies or is eligible. Then why does visa ppl have a problem with low marks ?

Reactions: Anshveer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Because CIC evaluates if they think the applicant is a genuine student or not. The college / university does not. If someone previously had bad marks and didn't focus on their studies - and is then all of a sudden expressing interest in studying in Canada, CIC logically wonders if they are a genuine student or are just trying to find a way to get to Canada.

Apr 29, 2014
CIC also wants to see how you perform in an educational setting. If you get bad or low marks visa officers will likely think the same thing will happen in CAN and will not issue a study permit.

josephDev

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
For university applicants, all transcripts are sent, and university carefully checks all the previous scores and then makes a decision, there are applicants who get rejected from university too. How can visa officers come to a conclusion that the student wont perform well, and hence wont leave canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
josephDev said:
For university applicants, all transcripts are sent, and university carefully checks all the previous scores and then makes a decision, there are applicants who get rejected from university too. How can visa officers come to a conclusion that the student wont perform well, and hence wont leave canada.
If you want the honest answer - here is it. International students pay very high tuition fees and this makes universities and colleges happy. This also means universities and colleges sometimes accept students they don't know for certain will perform well or be able to keep up in class. They accept them because they want the money.

josephDev

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
that makes sense, but there are other students with lower grades and still get visa approved......Its like anything could happen, doesnt matter u have grades or dont have grades, have money or dont have money, will leave country or wont leave, only depends on your skills to convince the VO
so its the same all around the world, greed for money. Canada is no different.

lucky_always24

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh Consulate General
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-July-2013 , 28-Nov-2014
IELTS Request
6.5 Bands
Med's Done....
04-06-13, 04-11-14
Passport Req..
With File
VISA ISSUED...
Approved on 11-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
The suspense behind the evaluation criteria of CHC is still hidden. Some applicants on this forum claimed to get visa with lower marks and backlogs and some people admit low marks and backlogs were main reason for their SP rejection. I have different question at some extents for my study permit case.

My performance in bachelor was not so good, I passed with 62% marks by clearing many backlogs. I took extra 6 months to get my bachelor than regular time.

After this, I started masters in 2012 and dropped off after the 1st semester because i wasn't satisfied with the curriculum. it was almost same as i learned in bachelor.

Then I applied for Canada student visa in Sep,2013 and rejected for the reason "Your proposed program is not reasonable in the light of past studies as well as academic performance and language ability". However i got 6.5 in IELTS and meet the admission requirements.

Then I continued with my master from the third semester. Luckily i have paid the second semester fee to my university and i was able to give all the exams in the next attempt.

Now I've passed my Master with 76% marks no backlogs expect the second semester. In two semester i was in the merit list i scored more than 80% marks.

I will apply study permit for MEng Internetworking- Dalhousie University. and I'm afraid my academic performance in the bachelor will again create problem for me. I've many thing on negative and positive side

On Negative Side

1: My bachelor Academic performance + Backlogs.
2: Previous rejection
3: Same IELTS bands as last time ( Overall 6.5 not less than 6.0 in any module )
4: I'm repeating my masters but different fields ( I've done master in Information Technology and applying for Master of Engineering in internetworking )
5: I didn't declared in my last SP application that i dropped form the master to apply for study permit

On Positive Side

1: My academic performance in Master is Better.
( First semester : 82% , Second : 67% , Third: 77% , Fourth: 80%)

2: I've applied in university. This time my proposed program is relevant.
I couldn't apply for PHD because university required research based masters. Do i need to mention this in my SOP ?

3: My profile has changed. So I think Visa officer will not much consider my last rejection.

I think,I should clear all these things in my SOP. Because many things can go opposite to me. Like I've applied for study permit again after one years. Last year in Sep,2013 i was rejected and after on year i am applying again with having master degree. I want to be interviewed so i can have word with visa officer to justify that i am genuine student.

josephDev

Star Member
Jun 14, 2014
what you need to convince them is why u want to do internetwrkng when u already have masters degree in IT, SOP shud b really strong, a lot of research will help.........