+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

why the rush for citizenship... PR is the same thing guys!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
SenoritaBella said:
The other thing, Canadian PRs still need visas to enter the US(except those who are visa-exempt) while Green card holders can enter Canada freely. Never understood the difference though but oh well. After going through immigration, I would need an incredible offer (e.g. triple my current salary, less taxes, universal healthcard, etc) to consider moving to another country and go through immigration again. Hell naw!
many employers who offer you a job to move will take care of the immigration work for you. When I first came to Canada on a work permit and also when I finally applied for PR, my employer's immigration lawyers did everything. All I had to do was send the lawyer some info and sign some documents. The only reason why I learned anything about the process is because of when I sponsored my wife and applied for citizenship myself. But up until then it was embarrassing how little I knew... because I never had to deal with anything.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inmate said:
Wrong, PR or citizenship doesn't change anything about tax.
If you are a fiscal resident (note fiscal residence is totally different from your legal status, even if in reality, of course, most of PR and citizen are fiscal resident), so you must provide informations about your world income. If not, you don't have to do that (= for exemple, you're canadian but you're living in Australia. You don't have any income from Canada. In this case, you don't have to pay any tax in Canada).
Hi Inmate what about if I worked and leave in canada but I have some properties in my home country. Once I became canadian what will happened to my properties I owned even before entering to canada?

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Let's put it this way : PR is like being a boyfriend or girlfriend. Citizenship is like getting married after the boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
BLT said:
Let's put it this way : PR is like being a boyfriend or girlfriend. Citizenship is like getting married after the boyfriend-girlfriend relationship.
I suppose you would be committing bigamy if you didn't drop your other citizenship after getting Canadian citizen? After all since you are comparing it to marriage. It makes sense to compare it to marriage if you dropped the other citizenship.

Otherwise if you decide to keep your other citizenship, it must mean, you want a backup boyfriend / girlfriend on the side during the marriage.

Sorry the marriage analogy is not a good example as long as dual nationality is allowed.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I suppose you would be committing bigamy if you didn't drop your other citizenship after getting Canadian citizen? After all since you are comparing it to marriage. It makes sense to compare it to marriage if you dropped the other citizenship.

Otherwise if you decide to keep your other citizenship, it must mean, you want a backup boyfriend on the side during the marriage.

Sorry the marriage analogy is not a good example as long as dual nationality is allowed.
:p ;D

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLT said:
great

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLT said:
This is Canada, whats better is think of it as living together relationship, cause its the next coolest thing in the market now. You are not committed to a married relation and you can leave your options open. Break up is easy and moving on is dandy. Marriage is old school and overrated :p

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
This is Canada, whats better is think of it as living together relationship, cause its the next coolest thing in the market now. Marriage is old school and overrated :p
the topic is now changed from PR/Citizenship to BF/GF/Marriage :p 8) :p :D ;D

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I think a very important reason many PR's in Canada or USA don't acquire citizenship is their home country doesn't recognize dual-citizenship. They don't want to relinquish their home country citizenship so they just remain PR in Canada/US.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
screech339 said:

Otherwise if you decide to keep your other citizenship, it must mean, you want a backup boyfriend / girlfriend on the side during the marriage.

Let's put it this way : The place where you were born, is your parents. When you get older, you have a relationship (PR), and when you like your girlfriend or boyfriend and decided to live with her-him forever, you get the citizenship. Still you have your parents' blood.
Some people never get the citizenship, consider they prefer to be single.
Sounds good?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
lol you guys crack me up. This thread has gone waaaaaaaay off topic ;D

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
That is awesome! But still... the emotions, anticipation, wait times, renewing visas (not always guaranteed, even if a lawyer helps).

keesio said:
many employers who offer you a job to move will take care of the immigration work for you. When I first came to Canada on a work permit and also when I finally applied for PR, my employer's immigration lawyers did everything. All I had to do was send the lawyer some info and sign some documents. The only reason why I learned anything about the process is because of when I sponsored my wife and applied for citizenship myself. But up until then it was embarrassing how little I knew... because I never had to deal with anything.

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:

you're funny but you get the point s/he is trying to pass