+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why so long?

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Can anyone tell me why it will take the Canadians 5 years to do what the Americans did in 10 months? That is, process an application for Permanent Residency.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Stu said:
Can anyone tell me why it will take the Canadians 5 years to do what the Americans did in 10 months? That is, process an application for Permanent Residency.
Canada accept 230-250K immigrants per year, they have almost a 800K in the backlog, CIC meets that quota. Note that spouses and dependent children are processed in about 3-10 months.

PMM

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for that PMM.

However it rather begs the question as why the Consulates and CIC disseminate false information, take our case for example:

Originally from the UK we had green cards to live and work in the USA.
Liked what we had seen of Nova Scotia and my wife was granted a Work Permit to work there as a Registered Nurse.

LA Consulate were very helpful when issuing the WP. We asked about applying forthe Skilled Worker Permanent Residency Program and were told that it would take 57 working days. We were incredulous and asked the staff to check whether they had their facts correct. We were assured that this was so.

Been in Nova Scotia for 15 months and understand that our application will have an initial assessment in June. Queried the delay with our Member of Parliament who reported back that we could expect a result in 2010 as we are at the back of the queue because my wife has a Work Permit.

We have no redress, indeed the LA Consulate will not reply to our Emails.

Our 19 year old son was offered a job that had been advertised for a year; no Canadian wanted it. He was advised by the CIC to submit an application for a work permit which would take 6 weeks to process. This he did on December 12. Three months later he was told that he cannot have a work permit as he has no right to one. It was admitted that he had been wrongly informed due to "new staff orienting" but he could not have his $150 fee back.

I shall have three children over the age of 20 by 2010 and none will have been allowed to work, obtain loans, scholarships, benefits or be claimed as dependants on our tax return once they attain the age of 19.

We have no redress for a litany of misinformation and our family is being torn apart.

There are always at least 13 vacancies locally for Registered Nurses. My wife can get no annual leave due to shortage of staff in this small area of Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Others may read this and please, if you do, beware of anything that anyone from the Canadian Government agencies tell you.

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
Hi Stu,

Why doesn't your wife apply for the Provincial Nominee program? If she works in Sydney and they are short of nurses then this may be an option. The process for a provincial nominee immigration can take around a year - that's a lot better than the current 4 years you have been given. Go to the following website and read the directions and instructions there:-

http://www.novascotiaimmigration.com/nsnp/

As for the work permit - your son is entitled to apply for a work permit provided a HRSDC labor market opinion is recieved on the position he is applying for. For example, if your son wanted to be a IT consultant, he would have to apply to the HRSDC with the details of the job, the salary, the conditions and proof that it has been advertised in Canada and no permanent residents or Canadians were found to be suitable. The HRSDC would then issue you a Labor Market Opinion (LMO). This process in Nova Scotia currently takes two working weeks. Once you have this you can then legitimately (and provided your status is legal) apply for a work permit.

To jump the waiting queue for the work permit you can drive to the nearest border crossing (NOT an airport or ferry port, it has to be a land border and yours would be St Stephens) and present your HRSDC opinion to the CIC officers at the border. If they are happy (the LMO has to be positive) then they will issue the work permit on the spot. I have done this myself and saved a 6 week wait!

I hope you find something useful in my reply and wish you the very best of luck.

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for the interest Tired of Waiting. Yes, we have considered the Nominee programme but yet more money - $5500 - and starting over with no guarantees that the program will be any quicker. All we have had regarding this from immigration consultants including a retired Immigration officer are "estimated times"; seem to me that this too is a financial minefield for the unwary.

Regarding my son's application for WP, no problem with the HRSDC; the CIC just turned it down flat - "not entitled" and that's it. He is an industrious lad and has worked at anything since leaving school and coming to Nova Scotia, has saved a few thousand, been accepted to study at the local Uni but could not afford the inflated International Student fees and is not allowed to work to raise the financial wind. Yup, he's off back to the USA and I can't blame him. No doubt his siblings will follow.

Cutbacks to number of available Hospital beds here now due to shortage of RNs. Oh well.

Thanks again, good luck,

Stu.

aysomtin

Star Member
Jul 1, 2005
Stu, that's not funny but I wonder with your green cards to stay and work in USA why bothering yourself about Canada again? Sorry if sounded somehow.

Sorry for what you've gone through!

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Hi Aysomtin,
We were doing well in the US, big house, pool, three cars even, but stumbled across a nasty scam and tried to do something about it. Unfortunately the repercussions were such that we were obliged to move.
I know, it sounds like a bad movie but it was both expensive and traumatic.
However if we knew then what we know now about the Canadian immigration system and if the LA Consulate had been straight with us we would have returned to Europe.
Thanks for your interest,
Good luck,
Stu.

aysomtin

Star Member
Jul 1, 2005
Stu,

Painful it sound but just keep your hope alive. It's never too late. The whole process takes ages - painful, I've been there since 2002 and one has got to keep life going unless you keep hoping you will be done with it in 2 years and you dont do some other things with your life.

Could be frustrating, though........

Just take it easy, I feel for you!

Helen b

Star Member
Jul 19, 2016
After csq

Hello I just wanna know what is the next step after csq and The time frame ,as i
Sent the documents for federal stage 15.7.2016 .i am from amman ,jordan ..the csq
Will be expired in 2019 .thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Re: After csq

Helen b said:
Hello I just wanna know what is the next step after csq and The time frame ,as i
Sent the documents for federal stage 15.7.2016 .i am from amman ,jordan ..the csq
Will be expired in 2019 .thanks
i think you maybe need to repost this in the Quebec thread and not in something that is 10 years old and not even related to your question.