+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why is my passport sitting around at Canada Customs?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I'm assuming this is all a result of you having been requested to send your passport to Los Angeles to receive your COPR after approval of permanent residence? If so, what were the instructions in your letter from them for submitting a passport if you were in Canada?

My application was processed through Buffalo and when they sent the passport request, there were instructions for mailing it from Canada to a CIC office in Fort Erie, Ontario, where they would then courier it themselves to Buffalo and back, and then mail it back to me from Fort Erie - to avoid the Customs issue. If your application was transferred from Buffalo to L.A., it sounds to me like maybe they didn't realize you were in Canada???

Don't know exactly what to tell you, other than most things I've mailed from Canada to California over the past several years have taken at least 9 days in transit - plus time at Customs. Mailing a US passport between Canada and the US is allowed - I sent mine to the State Department to get my name changed without any problems, so it's not like they're going to pull it and have "issues" with it - especially if it's coming back from Immigration Canada with a COPR included. I don't blame you for being nervous, but I'm sure it will get to you in one piece before too long. How long do you have until your medicals expire? That date will be the date your visa/COPR expires - or the expiry date of your passport (whichever comes first) - so as long as you get everything before the expiry date so you can land, you'll be okay.

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
RobsLuv said:
I'm assuming this is all a result of you having been requested to send your passport to Los Angeles to receive your COPR after approval of permanent residence? If so, what were the instructions in your letter from them for submitting a passport if you were in Canada?

My application was processed through Buffalo and when they sent the passport request, there were instructions for mailing it from Canada to a CIC office in Fort Erie, Ontario, where they would then courier it themselves to Buffalo and back, and then mail it back to me from Fort Erie - to avoid the Customs issue. If your application was transferred from Buffalo to L.A., it sounds to me like maybe they didn't realize you were in Canada???

Don't know exactly what to tell you, other than most things I've mailed from Canada to California over the past several years have taken at least 9 days in transit - plus time at Customs. Mailing a US passport between Canada and the US is allowed - I sent mine to the State Department to get my name changed without any problems, so it's not like they're going to pull it and have "issues" with it - especially if it's coming back from Immigration Canada with a COPR included. I don't blame you for being nervous, but I'm sure it will get to you in one piece before too long. How long do you have until your medicals expire? That date will be the date your visa/COPR expires - or the expiry date of your passport (whichever comes first) - so as long as you get everything before the expiry date so you can land, you'll be okay.
I applied outland, but have been staying in Canada, and my mailing/residential address in my application had my Canadian address, so I have no idea why I had to send my passport to Los Angeles. It certainly would have been much less of a hassle and, apparently, safer to send it somewhere in Canada.

My medicals expire in May, so that shouldn't be a problem, but the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it takes that long for the lost passport to get here.

I'm just so annoyed at the "pass the buck" mentality of Customs and Canada Post. Each points the finger at the other, and nobody has to take responsibility for it. The parcel reached Canada on February 1, after that I guess it fell into a black hole somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
MissyS said:
The parcel reached Canada on February 1, after that I guess it fell into a black hole somewhere.
Hopefully as it arrived in Canada on Feb 1st it is on the way to you. As others have said they have had documents land in customs and sit there for a few days.. It always blows my mind how letters take 7 days to get to the next city by Canada Post.. fingers crossed for you that it will land on your doorstep today xx

AARJAY

Star Member
Aug 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2013
AOR Received.
12-02-2013
Med's Request
18-02-2013
Med's Done....
23-02-2013
Passport Req..
27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2013
LANDED..........
already in canada
MissyS said:
I applied outland, but have been staying in Canada, and my mailing/residential address in my application had my Canadian address, so I have no idea why I had to send my passport to Los Angeles. It certainly would have been much less of a hassle and, apparently, safer to send it somewhere in Canada.

My medicals expire in May, so that shouldn't be a problem, but the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it takes that long for the lost passport to get here.

I'm just so annoyed at the "pass the buck" mentality of Customs and Canada Post. Each points the finger at the other, and nobody has to take responsibility for it. The parcel reached Canada on February 1, after that I guess it fell into a black hole somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Hey there sad to read your story. I am going thru the same situation. Did you get your passport back ?????? how long did it take...??

this is scary...omg

Thank you

manag

Apr 11, 2017
Did either of your get your passports back? Am in a somewhat similar situation - CPC Ottawa got the envelope but the passports and photos were missing. The envelope was re-sealed with the CBAP (Canada Border) seal so I guess it was opened for inspection. What I am not clear on is why the entire envelope was not help back and partial documents were sent onwards.

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
That's a post from 6 years ago. You may not get an answer. Canada Post takes so log for an inquiry. But perhaps some pressure. Contact mp for assistance.

ian.tol

May 1, 2018
Hi,

I sent my passport to my wife in canada on 23rd of May and it reached canadian customs on the 30th of May, until now it is still in customs.
any idea how many days will they hold my passport and what is the reason why they hold my passport?

thank you in advance for the answer.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am guessing but maybe customs might be asking themselves why anyone would mail their passport to their wife and not keep it in themselves given they would need it to travel not the wife. There is no way to predict how long customs will take.

ian.tol

May 1, 2018
Hi,

sorry i forgot to mention tge reason why i sent my passport to my wife.

we applied for PR in canada, as she was the principal applicant. She received an email requesting our passport for the stamping..

that is the reason why i sent my passport to my wife in canada..

she's been waiting for my passport since last month and it is still with canadian customs..

any idea how many days/weeks we need to wait and what is the reason why are they holding my passport?