+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why is my passport sitting around at Canada Customs?

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
I've been tracking my passport, which was sent from the Los Angeles office, supposedly on January 19. It took 9(!) days for it to leave the US, now it has been sitting around at Canada Customs for 3 days. I don't understand why documents have to go through customs *grrrrr* I just really want my passport back, because I feel uncomfortable being without it. Have any of you had similar problems getting your passport back?

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
I'm not sure this will be of much help to you since I haven't had PPR yet, but when I had to mail my passport to the States to update my name (to my married name), and they mailed the new passport back to me, there were zero issues with customs. It does seem a bit odd that it would be sitting there for this long.

But... something to consider: the weather in a lot of places has been absolutely atrocious lately. Blizzards or, at the very least, plenty of snow and bad conditions. I know mail has been delayed for a lot of people; it's feasible that your passport hasn't moved simply because of backlog due to weather conditions. At least, with all the stuff I've been hearing about weather causing delays, that's what I'd hope to be the case.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
When I fedexed my passport back to UK for my visa, it sat in customs for 2 days. Apparently (so fedex says) that normal documents don't need to go through customs, but passports do and sometimes this holds up clearing going through countries.

I wouldn't be too concerned, but I would chase it if it took much longer.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible for documents to sit for a week in Canadian customs - been there, done that.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
Baloo said:
It is possible for documents to sit for a week in Canadian customs - been there, done that.
lol.... That made me laugh.

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
MandiF said:
lol.... That made me laugh.
I fail to see the humor in it.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
MissyS said:
I fail to see the humor in it.
Well MissyS, the humor part of it, is that for anything that happens, or goes wrong or you worry about or query, there is always someone who has 'been there and done that'.

And really going through this process you need to keep as much humor going as possible, or you will go mad.

That is where the humor is...

Just know you do not have to worry about your passport being in customs for 3 days, as others have had theirs in customs longer, and they stilll got them back okay.

We're all just trying to help each other here and let you know that things happen and you're not the only one who has had this happen to you. Am sure your passport will be with you very soon and then everything will be wonderful and you can land and officially become an immigrant, no more feeling uncomfortable.

;D

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
Sorry, didn't mean to be such a grouch about it. And it is nice to know that others have been/are going through the same things, even though that's unfortunate for everyone. It's just frustrating.....we pay a small fortune in fees, we jump through all the hoops, but still get jerked around right to the very end.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
MissyS said:
Sorry, didn't mean to be such a grouch about it. And it is nice to know that others have been/are going through the same things, even though that's unfortunate for everyone. It's just frustrating.....we pay a small fortune in fees, we jump through all the hoops, but still get jerked around right to the very end.
Two words for you - government workers

They all appear to have had far too many lumps of coal in their collective stockings on past Christmas mornings so they relish the ability to take it out on others as they can...

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
Bangkokcanuck said:
Two words for you - government workers

They all appear to have had far too many lumps of coal in their collective stockings on past Christmas mornings so they relish the ability to take it out on others as they can...
LOL very true. I read a quote once, something like "the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly", and that's true just about every time anyone has dealings with government workers. Unless you owe them money, that is, then they're right on it, eh?

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
MissyS said:
LOL very true. I read a quote once, something like "the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly", and that's true just about every time anyone has dealings with government workers. Unless you owe them money, that is, then they're right on it, eh?
For five years oh so long ago I worked for a Municipal gov't and I can tell you first hand the rule of the office was never do anything by yourself that you can get ten people and 5 departments involved in. I wanted a picture hung up on my office wall so naturally I asked to borrow a hammer from building services and they almost ripped me a new one.

A person from one dept. came to my office to see the picture to determine if in fact it was appropriate to hang up.

Once approved another person from another dept came to my office to see where I wanted the picture hung and measure it's location.

A third came to drill the hole in the wall and install the drywall anchor.

A fourth came to actually physically pick up the picture from the desk, hang it up and stare it for about ten minutes.

A fifth came by to confirm the job had been done as requested and I was happy with the newly installed office decoration.

I kid you not, the above is 100% entirely true, from request to picture being hung took a total of 17 days, I kept a running count on my office calendar and daily killed myself laughing about it.

I could tell you many many many more stories that are very much like the above, having worked in the civil service I am amazed that anything ever gets done. Five years was all I could hack before I felt my soul being slowly sucked out of me...

Kaycee1

Jan 17, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor Approved 24-02-2011
AOR Received.
02-03-2011
Med's Request
In process 20-05-2011
Med's Done....
26-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-06-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-11
LANDED..........
14-08-11
Bangkokcanuck said:
For five years oh so long ago I worked for a Municipal gov't and I can tell you first hand the rule of the office was never do anything by yourself that you can get ten people and 5 departments involved in. I wanted a picture hung up on my office wall so naturally I asked to borrow a hammer from building services and they almost ripped me a new one.

A person from one dept. came to my office to see the picture to determine if in fact it was appropriate to hang up.

Once approved another person from another dept came to my office to see where I wanted the picture hung and measure it's location.

A third came to drill the hole in the wall and install the drywall anchor.

A fourth came to actually physically pick up the picture from the desk, hang it up and stare it for about ten minutes.

A fifth came by to confirm the job had been done as requested and I was happy with the newly installed office decoration.

I kid you not, the above is 100% entirely true, from request to picture being hung took a total of 17 days, I kept a running count on my office calendar and daily killed myself laughing about it.

I could tell you many many many more stories that are very much like the above, having worked in the civil service I am amazed that anything ever gets done. Five years was all I could hack before I felt my soul being slowly sucked out of me...
That is SOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D Thanks for sharing it!! I have my own business and run things myself, so much easier!! Hanging a picture takes about 2 minutes lolll. Very very glad I don't work for the government ;)

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
This is turning out to be a nightmare. I emailed Immigration in LA to ask if it is normal for documents to be so long at Canada Customs (9 days now), and they gave me a number for Customs. I called them, and they said they have no record of my parcel being there, and told me to contact Canada Post. Of course Canada Post said they have no record of anything, and blamed it on Customs. I don't understand it at all. Registered Mail is supposed to be trackable, yet nobody seems to know where my passport/visa are. I'm so scared that it's just lost somewhere, and I will have to start everything all over again. This has totally wrecked my nerves, and I don't know what to do now.

mikeyvr

Mar 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Appeal won Sept 2010
File Transfer...
16-11- 2010
Med's Request
Doc request Dec 2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2011

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
MissyS said:
This is turning out to be a nightmare. I emailed Immigration in LA to ask if it is normal for documents to be so long at Canada Customs (9 days now), and they gave me a number for Customs. I called them, and they said they have no record of my parcel being there, and told me to contact Canada Post. Of course Canada Post said they have no record of anything, and blamed it on Customs. I don't understand it at all. Registered Mail is supposed to be trackable, yet nobody seems to know where my passport/visa are. I'm so scared that it's just lost somewhere, and I will have to start everything all over again. This has totally wrecked my nerves, and I don't know what to do now.
Hi Missy, sometimes registerd mail is only tracked until it leave the country of origin. I would check with the original courier as if this is the case, it may look like it is sitting with Customs as this is where it was delivered to at the border. It may not be traced further than this hence Canada Post has no clue where it is. Registered mail is usually only tracked to the countries border where a courier such as DHL/UPS will be tracked to the destination.