+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why does Canada issue only Work Permit and not a Visa when you have applied for an extension of an old Work Permit from inside Canada?

expresscanadapr

Dec 28, 2018
When you apply for a Work Permit outside Canada a Temporary Resident Visa is issued on your passport. Once you arrive at a port of entry Immigration officer issues a Work Permit.
But when you apply for an extension of the same Work Permit inside Canada you get a renewed or extended Work Permit first. You dont get a Visa stamped on your passport unless you request. Why so?
Work Permit mentions the date by which you should be leaving Canada.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
The TRV is for travelling purposes and doesn't really have any connection to your work permit beyond dates. If you're already inside Canada, you don't need to travel into Canada.

expresscanadapr

Dec 28, 2018
The TRV is for travelling purposes and doesn't really have any connection to your work permit beyond dates. If you're already inside Canada, you don't need to travel into Canada.
In that case if I am planning to leave Canada before end of my recently received extended Work Permit then should I still apply for a TRV? Or I can't leave Canada if I don't have a renewed TRV?

Reactions: likleme

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
In that case if I am planning to leave Canada before end of my recently received extended Work Permit then should I still apply for a TRV? Or I can't leave Canada if I don't have a renewed TRV?
Better to have a renewed TRV before you leave. It will take about 60 days. If you leave without a TRV then you need to apply from that country and it could take months.

expresscanadapr

Dec 28, 2018
Better to have a renewed TRV before you leave. It will take about 60 days. If you leave without a TRV then you need to apply from that country and it could take months.
Yes I completely understand that. My intention to ask is does it make me illegal while leaving Canada if I dont have a renewed TRV but a valid renewed work permit?

kalani123

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hi All and @Naturgrl , I had SOWP and TRV till Jan 20201. I applied for my SOWP extension along with my sposue from inside canada on Sep 10th and I had to travel to India (my spouse is still in canada) in Nov for personal reasons while the application of SOWP extn was still in process.

Now the SOWP extn application is approved on Dec 10th. They have mentioned the Work Permit will be directly sent to my address in Canada. My spouse is still there. As I am not sure if I would be able to travel back before my current TRV expires (Jan 31), it is possible that my spuse can,

1) can my spouse courier my new extended WP to me (ie to India) from Canada and then I can apply for TRV here from India based on that?
2) Also do I need to actually wait for the Original WP document (which is yet to be sent by IRCC) or I can just apply based on the approval letter which I received in my gc key on the wp extension application?

Please advise.

Hi xpresscanadapr, as I understand, you can leave canada even if dont have a TRV means expired TRV. There wouldnt be an immigration check when you leave canada. But you would not be able to enter back with just your extended work permit document. TRV is required. Not sure if this helps.

Thanks.

expresscanadapr

Dec 28, 2018
Hi All and @Naturgrl , I had SOWP and TRV till Jan 20201. I applied for my SOWP extension along with my sposue from inside canada on Sep 10th and I had to travel to India (my spouse is still in canada) in Nov for personal reasons while the application of SOWP extn was still in process.

Now the SOWP extn application is approved on Dec 10th. They have mentioned the Work Permit will be directly sent to my address in Canada. My spouse is still there. As I am not sure if I would be able to travel back before my current TRV expires (Jan 31), it is possible that my spuse can,

1) can my spouse courier my new extended WP to me (ie to India) from Canada and then I can apply for TRV here from India based on that?
2) Also do I need to actually wait for the Original WP document (which is yet to be sent by IRCC) or I can just apply based on the approval letter which I received in my gc key on the wp extension application?

Please advise.

Hi xpresscanadapr, as I understand, you can leave canada even if dont have a TRV means expired TRV. There wouldnt be an immigration check when you leave canada. But you would not be able to enter back with just your extended work permit document. TRV is required. Not sure if this helps.

Thanks.
@kalani123 Your response does answer my question. When you travel to India does any Air Line ask you for valid TRV? What I understand is if I am an Indian passport holder there should not be a problem. Please correct if required.

likleme

Dec 7, 2018
@kalani123 Your response does answer my question. When you travel to India does any Air Line ask you for valid TRV? What I understand is if I am an Indian passport holder there should not be a problem. Please correct if required.
Workpermit is not a travel document that is why it is stated on it,'does not permit reentry. you need a tRV to travel out and return in.