+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why are you moving to Canada?

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hello!
Like almost everyone on this forum, I'm trying my best to move to Canada as soon as I can. However there is not much I can do but wait as I've already submitted my application.
So this thread is going to serve as a reminder of the motivations with which we all started our journey to relocate ourselves to the Great White North.

My reasons for moving:
I was born in a first world country, lived my entire life there but I had to go back to India for education, etc. The difference was shocking and I just could not make it in the country. Primary Reasons: Environment, environment, environment, better rule of law, better infrastructure, more broad minded people, more tolerance in terms of religion, stricter animal rights, and a general respect for each other among the population, especially to people in professions such as hairdressers, artists, etc.

This thread if for people to share their stories and reasons for wanting to move to Canada so that the waiting gets a little easier for us all, especially during this pandemic.
Anything and everything is welcome!

P.s., please refrain from criticizing on other people's posts/reasons. If someone's words hurt your sentiments, keep it to yourself. Thank you.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Money has been a reason to migrate/immigrate for centuries!
If money is the primary motivating factor then Canada is not the best place. Salaries are much lower than the US and other similar countries and cost of living is high.

I am looking at enjoying the quality of life, environment and traveling across the country.
Money has been a reason to migrate/immigrate for centuries.
You should not compare the salaries of USA to Canada. A fairer comparison would be salaries in India vs. Canada. Not everyone wants to or has the opportunity to move to the US.
I feel that salaries may be lower, but quality of life, stability (quickest citizenship afaik), etc. are much better or at least equivalent to that of Canada. And again, not all first world countries are so receptive to immigration like the Canadians are.

elvaxiaobai

Jul 27, 2019
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
20-11-2019
Med's Done....
16-11-2019
Hello!
Like almost everyone on this forum, I'm trying my best to move to Canada as soon as I can. However there is not much I can do but wait as I've already submitted my application.
So this thread is going to serve as a reminder of the motivations with which we all started our journey to relocate ourselves to the Great White North.

My reasons for moving:
I was born in a first world country, lived my entire life there but I had to go back to India for education, etc. The difference was shocking and I just could not make it in the country. Primary Reasons: Environment, environment, environment, better rule of law, better infrastructure, more broad minded people, more tolerance in terms of religion, stricter animal rights, and a general respect for each other among the population, especially to people in professions such as hairdressers, artists, etc.

This thread if for people to share their stories and reasons for wanting to move to Canada so that the waiting gets a little easier for us all, especially during this pandemic.

P.s., please refrain from criticizing on other people's posts/reasons. If someone's words hurt your sentiments, keep it to yourself. Thank you.
you mean you were born in US, aka US citizen?

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
I'm a US citizen. I decided to come to Canada because I was tired of living in a society that was actively hostile to my core beliefs and values, all while having the gall to pretend and proclaim otherwise. When the border guard asked why I was leaving the US, I said, "have you seen the US lately?" and he laughed - but it's not just lately. It's been a long time coming.

I don't know that I can be sure, at this point, of how different or better Canada is -- I'll know for sure in time. But the indicators are all positive.

Money was not a factor for me. I did consider the role of climate change, politics, etc., though.

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
Hello!

My reasons for moving:

This is not the first one of such kind of thread and I didn't see any positive meaning, since people on this forum are either looking forward to or had started moving to Canada. Such kind of threads only incur arguing, debating, or even quarreling.

BTW, "If someone's words hurt your sentiments, keep it to yourself. " Nobody has such kind of obligation and you do NOT have the right to ask people to do so.

Reactions: imransyed

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
only thing i hate is the frigging taxation. if you earn 160K and your wife brings in another 80K or so, you pretty much have to pay 42% in taxes. they will suck you dry.

Reactions: imransyed

Sid1307

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Personally, the core reason I want to immigrate is that the country I was born in has strayed too far beyond its core principles over the last decade and I don’t recognise it anymore. It just feels foreign to me at this point and I just want to settle somewhere that’s still sane and less chaotic. Income is mostly proportional to living costs in a country and so it didn’t really come into consideration in terms of making this decision.

I’ve been in the US for a good number of years now but I’m sick of the immigration mess and uncertainty here and I know will probably get old and die before I get a green card lol. Also, Canada seems to me like a beautiful, more welcoming and increasingly multi-cultural country with an actual functioning public healthcare system. I’m fine with paying taxes and getting what I pay for. At least, I won’t end up having to pay thousands out of my pocket for medical costs despite having “health insurance”

Last edited:

Jo1984

Star Member
Jun 4, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I'm a US citizen. I decided to come to Canada because I was tired of living in a society that was actively hostile to my core beliefs and values, all while having the gall to pretend and proclaim otherwise. When the border guard asked why I was leaving the US, I said, "have you seen the US lately?" and he laughed - but it's not just lately. It's been a long time coming.

I don't know that I can be sure, at this point, of how different or better Canada is -- I'll know for sure in time. But the indicators are all positive.

Money was not a factor for me. I did consider the role of climate change, politics, etc., though.
You have literally just summed up my own reasons for wanting to move. I'm in the UK. The same reasons apply.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
@Sid1307 @Jo1984 It's nice to know I'm not alone in these sentiments. In the States, it sometimes feels that way (though I have friends who share or at least envy my choices). My friends in Canada report feeling similarly as well.
I find it fascinating when I see people from UK / USA immigrating to Canada. I can still understand people wanting to immigrate from the UK.

I personally know 10 people who are Canadians and working in USA because they can't make close to what they get paid in USA if they work in Canada. I made the move because I didn't want immigration hassles in USA.

Are you not worried about career in Canada?

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
I find it fascinating when I see people from UK / USA immigrating to Canada. I can still understand people wanting to immigrate from the UK.

I personally know 10 people who are Canadians and working in USA because they can't make close to what they get paid in USA if they work in Canada. I made the move because I didn't want immigration hassles in USA.

Are you not worried about career in Canada?
That's a fair question. No, I'm not, for a variety of reasons:
  • I am in a field where the average income, even in Canada, is so high that I can easily support myself - I could support myself on two thirds or even half of what I make now
  • I don't have expensive tastes in most things, and I generally live below my means, but I do have health concerns which are expensive in the US (for example, I sometimes must take a medication which costs $3,000/month in the US, ~$300/month in Canada)
  • I have an extensive personal support network of people who will help me if I run into trouble
  • I personally believe in paying taxes to the government in return for social services for all
  • With COVID, the number and nature of remote opportunities in my field has skyrocketed (and it was high to begin with), and I am skilled enough that finding an appropriate remote job that pays US rates is possible
I've often heard it said that it is easier to be middle class in Canada, and easier to be rich in the States. Well, I don't care about being rich. I want to be able to live reasonably comfortably, afford a home and kids, and not have to worry extensively about medical bills or hyperexpensive colleges, etc. The United States is not designed for my desired lifestyle or priorities.

imransyed

Feb 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
you mean you were born in US, aka US citizen?
No I was born in Saudi Arabia, and I am an indian citizen. The Saudi lifestyle is very similar to the American lifestyle.

That's a fair question. No, I'm not, for a variety of reasons:
Completely agree with your points!

This is not the first one of such kind of thread and I didn't see any positive meaning, since people on this forum are either looking forward to or had started moving to Canada. Such kind of threads only incur arguing, debating, or even quarreling.

BTW, "If someone's words hurt your sentiments, keep it to yourself. " Nobody has such kind of obligation and you do NOT have the right to ask people to do so.
I am sorry I somehow managed to offend you. I did not come across a thread like this, hence the reason for starting this one. And I feel in these tough and difficult times, it may serve us some good to share positive things and remind ourselves why we chose Canada so that the wait and the uncertainty of timelines,can be made a little easier. This uncertainty has caused me a lot of mental stress personally, a little positivity doesn't hurt anyone.
Let's try to keep things amicable here. Thank you.