+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why are the requirements for the sponsor to be present at landing different?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Inland- Sponsor must accompany the applicant to the landing appointment/interview.

Outland- No requirement for the sponsor to even be in the same time zone!

Does CIC just assume that all Outland sponsors are still willing to be financially responsible for their partner/spouse for 3 years?

Does CIC think that only Inland applicants can be in a deceptive relationship with their sponsor/spouse, thereby requiring their sponsor to attend?

Why?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
Inland- Sponsor must accompany the applicant to the landing appointment/interview.

Outland- No requirement for the sponsor to even be in the same time zone!

Does CIC just assume that all Outland sponsors are still willing to be financially responsible for their partner/spouse for 3 years?

Does CIC think that only Inland applicants can be in a deceptive relationship with their sponsor/spouse, thereby requiring their sponsor to attend?

Why?
The only reason I can come up with is that the requirement for inland sponsorship is that the applicant lives and resides with the sponsor. So forcing the sponsor to show up enforces this rule.

Since there is no requirement for the applicant to live with the sponsor during the outland PR application process, forcing the sponsor to show up at landing doesn't do anything as there is nothing to enforce the "residing with sponsor" clause at all.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
There is likely the logistics issue as well. Outland generally assumes that the sponsor lives in Canada while the applicant lives abroad. The applicant will land at an airport, but the sponsor is not able to get to CBSA from landside at the airport, so it's impossible for them to attend the interview.
Inland applicants should be living with their spouses, and therefore should be both be able to attend the interview.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MilesAway said:
There is likely the logistics issue as well. Outland generally assumes that the sponsor lives in Canada while the applicant lives abroad. The applicant will land at an airport, but the sponsor is not able to get to CBSA from landside at the airport, so it's impossible for them to attend the interview.
Inland applicants should be living with their spouses, and therefore should be both be able to attend the interview.
Actually, there are some locations that the sponsor could access CBSA from inside Canada. There is a back door that allow a person to enter CBSA office at the Niagara Falls Rainbow Bridge Office. I wasn't aware of this when I had to leave Canada to US and re-enter Canada a second time to return the I-94 to border agent. I forgot to do this the first time around. So I had to turn around and do the whole exit and entrance again. When I explained to the border agent why I had to re-do the exit and entrance just to submit the I-94 card, the border agent told me that there is a back door in the building that I could have entered and submitted the I-94 card without having to leave Canada.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
It is possible, but it involves more effort. You also need to factor in the sponsor's location. I'll take Ottawa. There are only 2 flights from Europe, from Frankfurt and London. So if you are not on one of those direct flights, you would be transferring in Toronto or Montreal, and you would do your landing there. So that means a lot of travel for the sponsor to get to those airports, or paying extra money to get on one of those 2 flights to Ottawa.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MilesAway said:
It is possible, but it involves more effort. You also need to factor in the sponsor's location. I'll take Ottawa. There are only 2 flights from Europe, from Frankfurt and London. So if you are not on one of those direct flights, you would be transferring in Toronto or Montreal, and you would do your landing there. So that means a lot of travel for the sponsor to get to those airports, or paying extra money to get on one of those 2 flights to Ottawa.
In any case, it would be a huge major headache if the sponsor was to be expected at landing for outland. It is just not feasible to enforce the sponsor to attend an outland landing appointment. Whereas, the sponsor is actually living with the applicant, so there is no headache to get them together for inland landing interview since it is all domestically inside Canada. Nothing is preventing the sponsor to attend, whereas the outland process does have impairment to getting together.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
MilesAway said:
Edmonton is similar, there are no direct flights here from Aus and unless you stopover in the USA (which I like to avoid because the immigration lineups are a nightmare) you land in Vancouver.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I realize that it is a bit of a logistical issue, but it also seems to give those that may not be genuine in their intentions (fraudulent relationship) an easier time deceiving CIC and/or their sponsor...just by submitting an Outland application.

When an Inland sponsor is asked if s/he still wishes to sponsor their partner/spouse they have the option of saying no. Apparently, after an Outland sponsor is approved, they may not even know when their partner/spouse lands...especially if they're not privy to how things really work.

I am NOT implying that Outland applicants are not genuine...just wanted to open up discussion on this topic.

Sorry, but it still seems odd to me.

Davidaxel

Aug 15, 2015
https://www.google.com/maps/place/918+16+Ave+NW,+C
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
In any case, it would be a huge major headache if the sponsor was to be expected at landing for outland. It is just not feasible to enforce the sponsor to attend an outland landing appointment. Whereas, the sponsor is actually living with the applicant, so there is no headache to get them together for inland landing interview since it is all domestically inside Canada. Nothing is preventing the sponsor to attend, whereas the outland process does have impairment to getting together.
Good and nice information for all of us.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
In any case, it would be a huge major headache if the sponsor was to be expected at landing for outland.
Most of the process...is a huge major headache anyway, so what's one more. LOL!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Ponga said:
Most of the process...is a huge major headache anyway, so what's one more. LOL!
LOL!!! But that would be very very cruel, to say the least.