+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why are Green card holder parents visiting on and off, being questioned at Canada immigration ?

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
My parents are US green card holders and they have a valid eTA ... they visit us often but they have never stayed in continuity for more than a few weeks .... the longest they stayed was 3 months.

However the recent observation is that they are questioned at immigration specially if they are returning after a month.

Are we doing something wrong ? What best can be the answer to the immigration office in such scenarios if they are returning after a short time. My parents tend to get nervous.. so need to explain to them the best way to answer to immigration officer.

Background ... my sibling travels often due to her work. (sometimes even for weeks). so they feel lonely when she is travelling , so they come here when she travels.

Please suggest

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
How often do they visit ? How often is often ?Irrespective if they are holding a green card, they are foreign nationals visiting Canada and the CBSA is well within their right to question their visits
If it appears they are staying more time in Canada versus the USA, of course they will be questioned. Holding a GC doesn't give carte blanche entry
From your earlier postings you just landed in July 2019. From then to now, how much time has your parents been here ?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My parents are US green card holders and they have a valid eTA ... they visit us often but they have never stayed in continuity for more than a few weeks .... the longest they stayed was 3 months.

However the recent observation is that they are questioned at immigration specially if they are returning after a month.

Are we doing something wrong ? What best can be the answer to the immigration office in such scenarios if they are returning after a short time. My parents tend to get nervous.. so need to explain to them the best way to answer to immigration officer.

Background ... my sibling travels often due to her work. (sometimes even for weeks). so they feel lonely when she is travelling , so they come here when she travels.

Please suggest
Sounds like they are visiting too often / spending too much time in Canada. Coming and going too frequently can make it look like they are attempting to live here without authorization. I don't think this is really so much about how to explain things to immigration as it is about your parents' travel patterns. Their travel patterns aren't normal for genuine visitors. Probably best that they cut back on the number of trips / amount of time they are spending in Canada.

Overall, they should make sure they are spending less than six months in Canada in any given year.

Reactions: harmonika

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
How often do they visit ? How often is often ?Irrespective if they are holding a green card, they are foreign nationals visiting Canada and the CBSA is well within their right to question their visits
If it appears they are staying more time in Canada versus the USA, of course they will be questioned. Holding a GC doesn't give carte blanche entry
From your earlier postings you just landed in July 2019. From then to now, how much time has your parents been here ?
They came for 1 week in Sept and then again in Nov end 19 - but stayed till Feb end 20
They want to come again in Easter .... and that is exactly where the question arose from.

Is this too often ? Thoughts ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They came for 1 week in Sept and then again in Nov end 19 - but stayed till Feb end 20
They want to come again in Easter .... and that is exactly where the question arose from.

Is this too often ? Thoughts ?
This sounds OK. I'm assuming the Easter trip is going to be a short one.

harmonika

Jun 26, 2017
Yes but do they have to quote a date of return ? Should we prepare by booking some tickets etc ... we generally harp on last minute tickets ... and keep the viist flexible ..

Are all questions answered at immigrated noted for future purposes ... i dont want them to say that they are here for 10 days but return after 15 -20 days ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes but do they have to quote a date of return ? Should we prepare by booking some tickets etc ... we generally harp on last minute tickets ... and keep the viist flexible ..

Are all questions answered at immigrated noted for future purposes ... i dont want them to say that they are here for 10 days but return after 15 -20 days ?
It's always wise to have a return date.

Some responses are noted and some are not.