+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why am I not eligible?

CkMaddall

Sep 14, 2012
Hi All

My girlfriend and I are on the verge of filling out our Family Class Immigration documents from the UK, and I thought I would just run the elegibility test here to double check all will be ok: onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do

... but it is telling me I am not eligible! My answers are below, can you tell me where I am falling short? (We are common-law, having lived with each other for over a year). Cheers in advance.

What would you like to do in Canada? Move There

How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Permanently

What is the country of nationality of your passport? United Kingdom and Colonies

What is your current country of residence? England

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? Yes

What is your date of birth? 8 September 1981

Are you a permanent resident of the United States and have your alien registration card (Green Card) or other proof of permanent residence? No

Do you have a written offer from an employer in Canada? No

What is your estimated net worth (in Canadian dollars)? Less than $300,000

Do you plan to own or operate a farm in Canada? No

Do you plan to be self-employed in sports or cultural activities? No

How much full time (or equivalent to full time) skilled work experience do you have in Canada? No experience

Does your occupation fall under one of these groups?

Major Group 72 - industrial, electrical and construction trades
Major Group 73 - maintenance and equipment operation trades
Major Group 82 - supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and relation production
Major Group 92 - processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Minor Group 632 - chefs and cooks
Minor Group 633 - butchers and bakers

No

Are you enrolled in, or have you recently completed a Ph. D. program in Canada? No

How are you related to your family member? Common Law Spouse - (Who have lived together)

Where does your family member live in Canada? Manitoba

What is your current marital status? Common Law

What is your province of destination?
If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Manitoba

Did you get married, or begin a common law relationship before your 22nd birthday? No

And the outcome:

We used your answers to see if you may qualify for any of Canada's primary immigration programs. Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I think the test you completed is to assess whether you are eligible to immigrate by yourself - based on your qualifications, work experience, etc.
That's not relevant for spousal sponsorship. You're immigrating because your partner is Canadian, not because of your own merits... so don't worry about it. For spousal, education, work experience, language etc are NOT requirements ( of course it helps to be able to get a job later on, but it's not required!).

So - you're good to go!
Sweden

immigrationwaiting

Dec 31, 2012
CkMaddall said:
We used your answers to see if you may qualify for any of Canada's primary immigration programs. Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.
m not sure but pls check if family class comes under federal program....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This test is designed for those who are interested in immigrating independently - not through the family class program.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
You should not check your eligibility as a federal skilled worker as they have a different qualifications for that. Check the eligibility to apply as a common-law partner as this is much appropriate since your common-law partner is already a PR/Canadian citizen, I suppose.

Nigea

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/12/2012
AOR Received.
29/01/2013
File Transfer...
DM Oct. 31
Med's Done....
23/11/2012
LANDED..........
10/12/2013
I believe this is only if applying under federal program. You can apply under family class-spouse( common-law) if you have been living together for more than a year :) :)