+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

whts the Future of International Students

toronto_winter

Oct 15, 2014
hi! all

whats the future of Internation Students in Express Entry for those whose PGWP expiring this year and their CsR is about 350

Getting prepared to see bad days again

intensecool

Jan 29, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was an international student but despite the fact that 99% of my colleagues got 3 yr work permit, i alongwith 3 more got only 1 year of WP after master's degree and we had to come back since it takes time to get a job and once your employer sees 1 yr permit, it becomes a hesitation for him to employ you.

Kind of dark future especially for marketing people like me :(

toronto_winter

Oct 15, 2014
intensecool said:
I was an international student but despite the fact that 99% of my colleagues got 3 yr work permit, i alongwith 3 more got only 1 year of WP after master's degree and we had to come back since it takes time to get a job and once your employer sees 1 yr permit, it becomes a hesitation for him to employ you.

Kind of dark future especially for marketing people like me :(
Bad to read that about you

I completed my 1 year experience
and I am the victim of CEC cap reached and file returned after 4 months

EE system pushes back International Students
hope Immigration will loose the rules for students when there will be huge drop on students coming to canada

But that will be too late for me....

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toronto_winter said:
hi! all

whats the future of Internation Students in Express Entry for those whose PGWP expiring this year and their CsR is about 350

Getting prepared to see bad days again
On the one hand, no country guarantees permanent residence to those who come temporarily as students. It is still possible to use this as a path to PR in Canada (and other countries) but it used to be a kind of no-brainer in Canada, and now it isn't - which is perfectly within Canada's rights to do.

On the other hand, Canada's educational system relies on inflated international student tuition to offer quality education at low rates to those who are already Canadian. When word of these changes gets around, that money will not be so freely available and the educational system will suffer. Canada's educational system is good - but those in the US and UK are consistently ranked better than Canada's. Both those countries offer less reliable pathways from student visa to PR than Canada did, but if Canada joins them in this there will be no advantage to choosing Canada as a place to go to school, and fewer people will.

The people who are worst off are those who chose Canada's educational system a few years ago, and are now caught in the changing system, unable to get the PR they believed they had a clear path to getting. I do feel sorry for them.

toronto_winter

Oct 15, 2014
dobes said:
On the one hand, no country guarantees permanent residence to those who come temporarily as students. It is still possible to use this as a path to PR in Canada (and other countries) but it used to be a kind of no-brainer in Canada, and now it isn't - which is perfectly within Canada's rights to do.

On the other hand, Canada's educational system relies on inflated international student tuition to offer quality education at low rates to those who are already Canadian. When word of these changes gets around, that money will not be so freely available and the educational system will suffer. Canada's educational system is good - but those in the US and UK are consistently ranked better than Canada's. Both those countries offer less reliable pathways from student visa to PR than Canada did, but if Canada joins them in this there will be no advantage to choosing Canada as a place to go to school, and fewer people will.

The people who are worst off are those who chose Canada's educational system a few years ago, and are now caught in the changing system, unable to get the PR they believed they had a clear path to getting. I do feel sorry for them.
this all system is because of Federal Elections in October19 this year, hope everything will be back to track after long struggle....it was not an easy journey

Fitztorious

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From the looks of it, international students expecting to get their PR should expect to do 5+ years of post-secondary schooling in Canada and then get 1+ years of Canadian working experience at a 0, A or B level. The student should also score at least 10/12 in all 4 categories in the CELPIP. That should get you PR in Canada. Example below.

• 4 Year Bachelors degree at Canadian University
  • 1 Year post Grad certificate program at Canadian College
  • Minimum 10/12 in all 4 categories in CELPIP
  • 1 Year Canadian work experience at 0, A, or B level

You will have to apply for a 3 year PGWP after the 1-year grad program or 4-year bachelor degree. This will give you 3 years to get at least 1 year of Canadian work experience. 2 years is better though to increase your score

That will get you a CRS score of 462. Once you get 2 years of experience, your score will go up to 477. This should give you almost 100% change of getting PR with the current system. However, Canada could easily change their immigration programs which would alter everything.

JohnsonBthe1

Mar 19, 2015
Fitztorious said:
From the looks of it, international students expecting to get their PR should expect to do 5+ years of post-secondary schooling in Canada and then get 1+ years of Canadian working experience at a 0, A or B level. The student should also score at least 10/12 in all 4 categories in the CELPIP. That should get you PR in Canada. Example below.

You will have to apply for a 3 year PGWP after the 1-year grad program or 4-year bachelor degree. This will give you 3 years to get at least 1 year of Canadian work experience. 2 years is better though to increase your score

That will get you a CRS score of 462. Once you get 2 years of experience, your score will go up to 477. This should give you almost 100% change of getting PR with the current system. However, Canada could easily change their immigration programs which would alter everything.
I don't think many University grads would go to college for another year, plus it's a very tough time for new-grads in Canada to get a job. Take away the college part and consider 1 year exp, your max to get is 444.

coolrc_04

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
Fitztorious said:

Can someone please elaborate on 1 year work experience. Does it has to be in same NOC and with the same employer? Also please list the post grad certificates mentioned in the post.

Fitztorious

Star Member
Sep 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JohnsonBthe1 said:
I don't think many University grads would go to college for another year, plus it's a very tough time for new-grads in Canada to get a job. Take away the college part and consider 1 year exp, your max to get is 444.
International students who only do a bachelor degree should no longer expect to get PR in Canada. As you said, there will be thousands of people sitting with a score of 444. This is why I don't think the score will ever get that low.

I have a couple of friends in Canada who completed a 1 year post grad certificate program after University. Generally, they graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree and then refined their profession with a 1 year post grad certificate. Also, I would say it's not too difficult for new grads to obtain jobs at an 0, A, or B level. Remember you have about 2.5 years to get 1 year of Canadian experience which gives you quite a bit of time to find a job.

KingOfGoodTimes

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 July 2015
Nomination.....
ITA : 26 June 2015
AOR Received.
EE: 04 July 2015 (Auto AOR)
Med's Done....
EE: Passed 15-July-2015
Passport Req..
DEC 24th :)
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
Fitztorious said:

I agree to the last points.
I am a international student who did get a ITA, also got a PNP nomination for paper based application.

I don't understand what the fuzz is all about , even before the express entry program a international student would have to work for at least 1 year in a 0,A or B job before applying for federal through CEC (or work for certain amount of time for some PNP nominations).

I also don't see why one needs a Canadian undergrad degree and post graduate degree is needed,
I have a foreign undergrad degree and an Canadian post grad , I had one work experience both outside and inside Canada.
also a good IELTS score.This in itself will secure a ITA under the current scheme.

It gets even better if you are married or on a common law relation, you get points for that as well.

I agree that people who do not have foreign work experience and just undergrad Canadian degree will find it hard to get to the points, but it was same in case of CEC as well (you would have still needed to get one year Canadian work experience). I also agree that they didn't make it easy for students to get a express entry ITA but they also have not made it hard. I feel its just fair.

Also there is always the PNP route(some of them have started to have more transparent process)

coolrc_04

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
KingOfGoodTimes said:
It gets even better if you are married or on a common law relation, you get points for that as well.
)
I need to add something on your "married or common law relation" point. There are no extra points for it. A married applicant applying through EE will just share points with his/her spouse. So it does not make your case better. See the link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

KingOfGoodTimes

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 July 2015
Nomination.....
ITA : 26 June 2015
AOR Received.
EE: 04 July 2015 (Auto AOR)
Med's Done....
EE: Passed 15-July-2015
Passport Req..
DEC 24th :)
LANDED..........
Jan 2016
coolrc_04 said:
I need to add something on your "married or common law relation" point. There are no extra points for it. A married applicant applying through EE will just share points with his/her spouse. So it does not make your case better. See the link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp
YA! you are correct!!
Since my common law partner had exact same qualification as me, I didn't notice it affecting my points.

I can see how that can back fire!

nakulgoenka

Star Member
May 25, 2012
Being in International Student : I can tell you that the only way to get ITA faster is get PNP or PR-only LMIA. because if someone depending on 400-450 score will have hard time to get ITA anytime soon. Because FSW guys can score 460+ easily has they have good experience+ language score+ master degrees or bachelor degree atleast.

So, international student must get PNP or PR-only LMIA during their 1 year of experience.

coolrc_04

Star Member
Jun 18, 2015
nakulgoenka said:
Being in International Student : I can tell you that the only way to get ITA faster is get PNP or PR-only LMIA. because if someone depending on 400-450 score will have hard time to get ITA anytime soon. Because FSW guys can score 460+ easily has they have good experience+ language score+ master degrees or bachelor degree atleast.

So, international student must get PNP or PR-only LMIA during their 1 year of experience.
Would you like sharing the process of getting PNP? How is it possible to get it "during 1 year of experience"? Thanks

JohnsonBthe1

Mar 19, 2015
Fitztorious said:
International students who only do a bachelor degree should no longer expect to get PR in Canada. As you said, there will be thousands of people sitting with a score of 444. This is why I don't think the score will ever get that low.

I have a couple of friends in Canada who completed a 1 year post grad certificate program after University. Generally, they graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree and then refined their profession with a 1 year post grad certificate. Also, I would say it's not too difficult for new grads to obtain jobs at an 0, A, or B level. Remember you have about 2.5 years to get 1 year of Canadian experience which gives you quite a bit of time to find a job.
You friends must be doing really well in interviews or you might be in a demand>supply job market (eg. Programmers). All my friends barely make 1 year exp with the 3 year work permit and I heard the job hunting is even worse now. Anyway, it doesn't seem so bad to go to college after graduation, but comparing to the old CEC, this means extra work for international student and put the victims of cap reach in 2014 in a very tough position (PGWP expiring and too late for college/2 year exp)