+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whoooa! Some people might not need to submit the passport, right?

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
By looking at this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/final.asp

It says:

Request for passport

Applicants from visa-exempt countries
The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send a photocopy of the bio data page of their passport and, if applicable, the bio data page of the passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Applicants from visa-required countries
The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send their valid passport and, if applicable, the valid passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Permanent resident visas cannot be affixed to diplomatic, official or military passports.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, it appears that PR applicants whose Country of origin is a visa-exempt country, do not need to ship the physical passport, right?

So, what about the process in that case?
Once the application is let's say assessed, what happens?
They will ask for the photocopy of the bio page.

Then what? Still need to re-enter Canada?

I don't think so, because they don't need to apply a visa to their passport. The whole point of re-entering Canada is to have the visa applied to the passport, right? So if the applicant is visa-exempt, is it different?

So how does it exactly happen to get the PR?

Thanks!

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
By looking at this page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/final.asp

It says:

Request for passport

Applicants from visa-exempt countries
The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send a photocopy of the bio data page of their passport and, if applicable, the bio data page of the passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Applicants from visa-required countries
The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send their valid passport and, if applicable, the valid passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Permanent resident visas cannot be affixed to diplomatic, official or military passports.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, it appears that PR applicants whose Country of origin is a visa-exempt country, do not need to ship the physical passport, right?

So, what about the process in that case?
Once the application is let's say assessed, what happens?
They will ask for the photocopy of the bio page.

Then what? Still need to re-enter Canada?

I don't think so, because they don't need to apply a visa to their passport. The whole point of re-entering Canada is to have the visa applied to the passport, right? So if the applicant is visa-exempt, is it different?

So how does it exactly happen to get the PR?

Thanks!
Actually, everything is very same except we (I'm from visa-exempt country) don't have to send the physical passport, just a copy of the ID page + all pages with stamps as far as I remember. We still have to buy 2 envelops, send it to Ottawa (if the applicant is in Canada already), wait before they send us COPR and then we still have to re-enter Canada or schedule a meeting at the local office (which would take another approx 2 weeks) so many applicant prefer to simply cross the border.

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Actually, everything is very same except we (I'm from visa-exempt country) don't have to send the physical passport, just a copy of the ID page + all pages with stamps as far as I remember. We still have to buy 2 envelops, send it to Ottawa (if the applicant is in Canada already), wait before they send us COPR and then we still have to re-enter Canada or schedule a meeting at the local office (which would take another approx 2 weeks) so many applicant prefer to simply cross the border.
oh ok thanks bro!
But what do you mean send "it" with envelops?

The passport or only the photocopies?

I'm concerned because I have a round trip flight already booked and paid for since a very long time, I didn't imagine the whole thing would have taken that long, and I was concerned that I wouldn't have had my passport with me the day of the departure.
thanks.

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
oh ok thanks bro!
But what do you mean send "it" with envelops?

The passport or only the photocopies?

I'm concerned because I have a round trip flight already booked and paid for since a very long time, I didn't imagine the whole thing would have taken that long, and I was concerned that I wouldn't have had my passport with me the day of the departure.
thanks.
"it" means the photocopies in the envelope. However, even though after you send photocopies of your passport which means you have your original passport in your hand, you still can not travel by any commercial transport back to Canada!!!

Like my situation right now: I have a valid COPR in my original passport which I have in my hand by the time I'm waiting for my PR card to be delivered (will take another month or so), I can go anywhere I want by any commercial transport, let's assume USA. But no commercial transport will board me to go to Canada, so to return to Canada, I must use my own transportation only (basically my car, car rental etc), not airline, bus etc...

Reactions: Milo2980

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
"it" means the photocopies in the envelope. However, even though after you send photocopies of your passport which means you have your original passport in your hand, you still can not travel by any commercial transport back to Canada!!!

Like my situation right now: I have a valid COPR in my original passport which I have in my hand by the time I'm waiting for my PR card to be delivered (will take another month or so), I can go anywhere I want by any commercial transport, let's assume USA. But no commercial transport will board me to go to Canada, so to return to Canada, I must use my own transportation only (basically my car, car rental etc), not airline, bus etc...
OMGOSH!

My flight is booked for December 15th.
I applied for PR Express Entry on June 17th.
Only update received was August something, passed medical exam.
Last week I talked with CIC they checked, they said on October 4th they put a note (not formal) that the application is okay and should be approved.
Do you think I'll have time to do everything?

But I don't understand: weren't we supposed to re-enter Canada? Do you mean I cannot re-enter by plane?
And, what is COPR?

Thanks.

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
OMGOSH!

My flight is booked for December 15th.
I applied for PR Express Entry on June 17th.
Only update received was August something, passed medical exam.
Last week I talked with CIC they checked, they said on October 4th they put a note (not formal) that the application is okay and should be approved.
Do you think I'll have time to do everything?

But I don't understand: weren't we supposed to re-enter Canada? Do you mean I cannot re-enter by plane?
And, what is COPR?

Thanks.
Ohh so you don't even have PPR yet?? No worries then :) What's your timeline? Put your timeline in your signature so other member of the forum can help more easily.

Once you have a COPR, you can of course leave Canada and re-enter to activate your COPR. I was talking about the time between COPR activated - your PR card delivered (that's the time when you can not enter Canada by commercial transport).

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Ohh so you don't even have PPR yet?? No worries then :) What's your timeline? Put your timeline in your signature so other member of the forum can help more easily.

Once you have a COPR, you can of course leave Canada and re-enter to activate your COPR. I was talking about the time between COPR activated - your PR card delivered (that's the time when you can not enter Canada by commercial transport).
Oh ok, I guess I got it.

PPR is permanent residency, right?

What's COPR?

I'll modify the signature with the computer, I'm around with my phone now.

So, basically, I don't know... When this COPR thing gets activated?

So let's say, God willing, I receive the message requesting me to ship the photocopies of the passport.

I ship the photocopies.

Then what happens if the COPR gets activated? I cannot leave Canada for Europe? Cause my flight is on December 15th

Thanks

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
Oh ok, I guess I got it.

PPR is permanent residency, right?

What's COPR?

I'll modify the signature with the computer, I'm around with my phone now.

So, basically, I don't know... When this COPR thing gets activated?

So let's say, God willing, I receive the message requesting me to ship the photocopies of the passport.

I ship the photocopies.

Then what happens if the COPR gets activated? I cannot leave Canada for Europe? Cause my flight is on December 15th

Thanks
PPR means Passport Request which you will receive when you PR application is approved.

Once you receive Passport Request, you have (I think) 60 days to send it (photocopies if from visa-exempt country) and then you'll receive it back within approx 1 month with your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence). Once you have COPR in your hand, you are free to go anywhere you want and return to Canada (or go to Canada) by any way (commercial flight for example). You must activate your COPR within 6 months (again, part me if I'm wrong).

So if you haven't activated your COPR (which I first thought you have), you are free to go bud ;)

As stated before, what I previosly said applies only for those of us who activated their COPR and are waiting for their PR card while being in Canada. Only for that period.

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
PPR means Passport Request which you will receive when you PR application is approved.

Once you receive Passport Request, you have (I think) 60 days to send it (photocopies if from visa-exempt country) and then you'll receive it back within approx 1 month with your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence). Once you have COPR in your hand, you are free to go anywhere you want and return to Canada (or go to Canada) by any way (commercial flight for example). You must activate your COPR within 6 months (again, part me if I'm wrong).

So if you haven't activated your COPR (which I first thought you have), you are free to go bud ;)

As stated before, what I previosly said applies only for those of us who activated their COPR and are waiting for their PR card while being in Canada. Only for that period.
Hi my friend, sorry for the delay. Yesterday there was no way to have the forum work anymore, neither with my phone, nor with my computer at home. It opened this page, I was able to log in, but any time I clicked on anything, it was loading forever, and then giving an error message, even simply clicking on a "Like" button. Then, I crushed on my bed at 6:30 pm lol.

Ok, thanks so much, it's all clear ;)

I'm going to updated my signature now. Oh gosh, I don't remember the dates... okay I'll do it from home (if it works!)

Thanks

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013

Wooo Anford, I received the PPR on Friday Oct 27.
Sent photocopies and photos and ANNEX A filled on Oct 28.
I thought to let you know :)
Thanks.

Reactions: Anford