+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who is hiring?

renee

May 31, 2006
Hello and Bonjour,

I am an American citizen, trying to follow all the right rules and regulations to get a job in Canada. I have been using the www.cic.gc.ca website, but find myself confused. In order to apply as a Skilled Worker, it says that I need to request admission from the Province of Alberta. When I go to the province of Alberta's web site, it says that I need to have a job offer first. So my question to all of you is this: What companies in Canada are hiring Americans? I have a Master's Degree in Human Relations, I've worked for the US Dept of Defense for several years, and I have a variety of experience. But I have no idea what companies here in Edmonton would be willing to go through the hassle of dealing with the HRSDC in order to utilize my skills.

Who's hiring out here? I have worked as a financial counselor, education counselor/advisor, and have been a training instructor for a wide variety of courses (technical, computer, financial, and process improvement). I speak, read, and write French (but my knowledge is from working in UK, Germany, Luxembourg - so it's not "Canadian" French).

Thank you!
Renee

vizkiz

May 8, 2006
Re: Job Offer

Your question has some confusion.

Are you willing to apply for PR for Canada ? or are you willing to work in Canada on a work permit.

If you want to work in canada on work permit, you should apply to the company and if that company in canada willing to hire you, they should advertise the job in local news papers or what ever the meida is...then if nobody is available for that position in Local , then by somehow if they find you they have to apply HRSDC in canada and get approval. Then they will give you offer letter .

With that offer letter you should apply the CIC in your country and they will issue the work permit which is for specific period unlike PR . PR doesnot have time frame to work. You can live , work lawfully.

If you give more details, forum members may help you with more info...

Ravi

renee

May 31, 2006

Hi,

What is a PR ?

Details: I want to work in Canada, but I'm American & don't have a work permit. The web sites tell me I have to have a job offer before I can do anything. So it appears that the order of doing things is:

1) Get a job offer
2) Apply to the province of Alberta for permission to be here (even though I'm already here)
3) Apply for the Skilled Worker Permit.

So my question was: Who's hiring? I gave you a brief idea of my skills, but I'm not sure what companies would be willing to put up with months of waiting for me to be a valuable team member.

Thanks so much!
Renee

renee

May 31, 2006
PR - Permanent Residency

I was thinking PR was Personal Representative. I am willing to apply for PR or just to request a work permit. I'd be happy either way. Is one of them easier?

Renee

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
I shouldn't bother if I were you; read my posts and you will understand. The USA immigration service was great; did exactly what it said on the tin. Canadian immigration services leave much to be desired.
Good luck whatever you decide.

lal mohd

Mar 24, 2007

renee said:
Hi,

What is a PR ?

Details: I want to work in Canada, but I'm American & don't have a work permit. The web sites tell me I have to have a job offer before I can do anything. So it appears that the order of doing things is:

1) Get a job offer
2) Apply to the province of Alberta for permission to be here (even though I'm already here)
3) Apply for the Skilled Worker Permit.

So my question was: Who's hiring? I gave you a brief idea of my skills, but I'm not sure what companies would be willing to put up with months of waiting for me to be a valuable team member.

Thanks so much!
Renee

Travis

Mar 25, 2007
Since PR takes a long time to receive (usually more than 1 yr), a work permit is the way to go for the short term. Here are the steps...

1) Find someone that wants to hire you for a specific position (with specific duties and education/experience requirements)
2) That company must apply for a Labor Market Opinion (the company should prove they have made every effort to fill the position with a Canadian citizen/resident first)
3) If/when the LMO is approved (approx. 10 weeks), you can apply for a work permit.
4) Show up at the border (airport is OK), bring your approved LMO paperwork, signed job offer, education transcripts, and proof of experience related directly to the job requirements in the LMO (a resume doesn't count). If everything is in line, you should walk away with a work permit (which will be good for a pre-determined period of time).

As for finding a job, it is no different than any other country. Check local newspapers, web sites, etc... Employers with entry level positions probably aren't interested in the expense of getting a LMO and waiting 10-12 weeks for someone to get a work permit (if it's possible to get a positive LMO for entry-level in the first place). Hope this helps :)

jimberan

Mar 23, 2007
Hi Travis,

Thank you for posting that information as that was the information that I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

kal

Aug 11, 2007
Hi Travis

Thanks for the detailed information,
I am also inthe same situation here.
I wanted to apply for PR(Skilled worker) but due to the long processing time (56Weeks) I am looking for someone who can sponsor for my work permit andthen I will apply my PR once I Start working there.
What do you say about this??

I have 6+ yrs of IT software dev. experience and I did my masters in UK.
so could U pls advice me where to find the sponsors who can sponsor my workpermit

Thanks

Travis said:
Since PR takes a long time to receive (usually more than 1 yr), a work permit is the way to go for the short term. Here are the steps...

1) Find someone that wants to hire you for a specific position (with specific duties and education/experience requirements)
2) That company must apply for a Labor Market Opinion (the company should prove they have made every effort to fill the position with a Canadian citizen/resident first)
3) If/when the LMO is approved (approx. 10 weeks), you can apply for a work permit.
4) Show up at the border (airport is OK), bring your approved LMO paperwork, signed job offer, education transcripts, and proof of experience related directly to the job requirements in the LMO (a resume doesn't count). If everything is in line, you should walk away with a work permit (which will be good for a pre-determined period of time).

As for finding a job, it is no different than any other country. Check local newspapers, web sites, etc... Employers with entry level positions probably aren't interested in the expense of getting a LMO and waiting 10-12 weeks for someone to get a work permit (if it's possible to get a positive LMO for entry-level in the first place). Hope this helps :)