+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who has travelled outside of Canada while inland app is still processing?

sinimat

Mar 17, 2016
Hi! I would like to hear from you who have travelled outside of Canada while your inland PR application is still processing. Any problems/concerns/tips what kind of documents to have with on the border when entering back to Canada.

And yes, I know that it is not recommended to travel while application hasn't been approved yet but I am going home in two months for two weeks with my husband and I just want to make the risk as small as possible when I come back.

I am October 2015 applicant and I got AIP and SA in May 20th and I have medical appointment tomorrow. I also have a two year OWP.

Any comments appreciated!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Entering Canada is not the only problem. Are you flying? From what country? What document do you have that ensures the airline will let you even board the plane? That would be your first concern. If they don't let you on the plane, your inland application will end up being cancelled.

sinimat

Mar 17, 2016
truesmile said:
Entering Canada is not the only problem. Are you flying? From what country? What document do you have that ensures the airline will let you even board the plane? That would be your first concern. If they don't let you on the plane, your inland application will end up being cancelled.
I am flying from Canada, why on earth they wouldn't let me on the plane? I am still allowed to leave the country.

Still looking for comments from people who have actually travelled!

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
check this link

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/hands-down-the-most-often-asked-question-from-inland-applicants-t266896.0.html

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
sinimat said:
I am flying from Canada, why on earth they wouldn't let me on the plane? I am still allowed to leave the country.

Still looking for comments from people who have actually travelled!
I think the above poster is talking about getting back INTO canada after you leave, not leaving Canada.

The people who are successful with this have valid work or visitor visas to show immigration at entry. As the other poster suggested, airlines will deny travel to those who do not have a valid visa to enter Canada, if one is required. If the person is visa exempt, then all that is needed is the passport to travel. Once you arrive in Canada, you would attempt to enter as a visitor and/or worker - if you have a valid work visa. It is up to the CBSA officer's discretion if they want to allow you in as a visitor again. It will depend on the questions they ask and your answers. generally, if there is no work visa, it's best to just say you are there to visit while your PR application processes. A return ticket can be useful in this situation. They don't generally deny entry to those with pr applications submitted. If they are suspicious, they can and will give a short term visitor's record, which you can then apply to extend your stay through CIC after you're in.

sinimat

Mar 17, 2016
Thank you pedropil for the link, it is really hard to find relevant discussions on this forum by using the search tool!

CDNPR2014 said:
The people who are successful with this have valid work or visitor visas to show immigration at entry. As the other posted suggested, airlines will deny travel to those who do not have a valid visa to enter Canada, if one is required. If the person is visa exempt, then all that is needed is the passport to travel. Once you arrive in Canada, you would attempt to enter as a visitor and/or worker - if you have a valid work visa. It is up to the CBSA officer's discretion if they want to allow you in as a visitor again. It will depend on the questions they ask and your answers. generally, if there is no work visa, it's best to just say you are there to visit while your PR application processes. A return ticket can be useful in this situation. They don't generally deny entry to those with pr applications submitted. If they are suspicious, they can and will give a short term visitor's record, which you can then apply to extend your stay through CIC after you're in.
Thank you for your answer. I do have valid OWP and visitor record before I got my work visa. I will definitely have all visa paperwork with me upon arrival.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
sinimat said:
Thank you pedropil for the link, it is really hard to find relevant discussions on this forum by using the search tool!

Thank you for your answer. I do have valid OWP and visitor record before I got my work visa. I will definitely have all visa paperwork with me upon arrival.
while it is a risk, if you have valid paperwork, and can show proof of your pr application (copy of application, fee receipts, letters from CIC), then the chances of being denied entry are generally low. good luck!

Lali1987

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
sinimat said:
Hi! I would like to hear from you who have travelled outside of Canada while your inland PR application is still processing. Any problems/concerns/tips what kind of documents to have with on the border when entering back to Canada.

And yes, I know that it is not recommended to travel while application hasn't been approved yet but I am going home in two months for two weeks with my husband and I just want to make the risk as small as possible when I come back.

I am October 2015 applicant and I got AIP and SA in May 20th and I have medical appointment tomorrow. I also have a two year OWP.

Any comments appreciated!
My application was submitted on March, 2015 and have travelled outside Canada twice since then. The first time, I was with my sponsor and we went to the US; no questions were asked and we had no problems at all. The second time I went to my home country, by myself. Also, no problems getting back, no questions asked...I even had a letter from my Canadian employer, but the officer didn't even ask for it. Just so you know, I am from a country where a TRV to Canada is required. Besides my OWP, I also had a valid TRV.

rambopg

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
25-Jun-2015
File Transfer...
07-Jul-2015
Med's Request
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
24-May-2016
Passport Req..
14-Jun-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
1-Jul-2016
A valid OWP in itself is not enough to get back into Canada. Your visitor visa should be valid as well.

cheers,

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
rambopg said:
Your visitor visa should be valid as well.

cheers,
if the OP is visa exempt, there is no need for a visitor's visa. the current OWP and their passport should technically allow them into canada. it will depend on the cbsa officer they encounter.