+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who can I talk to about my spouse application?

Onababy

Nov 13, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen by birth. I have a problem that I wish to seek answers to. My husband's student visa was denied and I have two kids who are also Canadians and have to leave Nigeria with them. I don't know why these Canada people are so wicked.
I have a friend who also went to the UK and their visa expired and they overstayed but later went back to Nigeria. Right now they can't use their UK history for their application for Canada because they overstayed. What should they do? What should I do for my husband's case? How can I help him out please?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately you applied for the wrong visa if you're looking to move to Canada with your husband to live here permanently. You should have applied to sponsor your husband for PR instead. It sounds like CIC determined your spouse wasn't a genuine student but was instead using the study permit as a means of moving to Canada with you. To be approved for a study permit, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country and also show you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. There is no point reapplying for a study permit - you need to apply to sponsor him for PR instead using the outland method.

It's not clear what your friend is applying for. If they are applying for PR, they must list the UK address and mention the overstay. Provided they are 100% honest in their application, the overstay will be forgiven and the visa approved. If they are instead applying for a study permit, they must still be honest about their history (failing to do so will result in a misrepresentation finding and a five year ban from Canada). However the study permit is unlikely to be approved due to the UK overstay.

Onababy

Nov 13, 2017
Ok th
Unfortunately you applied for the wrong visa if you're looking to move to Canada with your husband to live here permanently. You should have applied to sponsor your husband for PR instead. It sounds like CIC determined your spouse wasn't a genuine student but was instead using the study permit as a means of moving to Canada with you. To be approved for a study permit, you must demonstrate strong ties to your home country and also show you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. There is no point reapplying for a study permit - you need to apply to sponsor him for PR instead using the outland method.

It's not clear what your friend is applying for. If they are applying for PR, they must list the UK address and mention the overstay. Provided they are 100% honest in their application, the overstay will be forgiven and the visa approved. If they are instead applying for a study permit, they must still be honest about their history (failing to do so will result in a misrepresentation finding and a five year ban from Canada). However the study permit is unlikely to be approved due to the UK overstay.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
At a point in PR aplication do they demand old passports from applicants
You must provide a current passport. However you must also declare detailed information about where you have lived in the application and if you've ever been refused a visa or told to leave a country. A thorough background and security check is performed as part of the PR process. So even though IRCC won't have your old passports - they'll still have access to all of your history. Anyone applying must be 100% honest about their immigration history. Failing to do so is misrepresentation - which will result in the application being refused and the person banned from Canada for 5 years. Hiding things will result in big problems.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk