+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which way to Jump? Should I try for PR?

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
First off this forum is pretty incredible! Cheers!

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide what to do and im looking for some advice.

Im Australian on a working holiday visa, she is Canadian. My visa is freshly renewed and good until 2017.

We qualify for De-facto status here in Canada having lived together for 2 years.

We were thinking of applying for PR under the Common law sponsorship in Canada. We were looking at doing it as outland although we're both in Canada (because of the wait times and the fact we want to travel).

1. I previously had cancer and require yearly MRI scans (which I have been travelling home to Australia for). I have done this at my own expense and this hasn't prevented me from obtaining 2 working holiday visas. I was asked for a medical for the first one, but not for the renewal.

Im assuming if we were to apply I would have to travel back home to have a medical and interview? Is this likely?

2. My girlfriend and I both want to travel overseas for a year, leaving sometime in late 2016: How would this affect getting PR? I know there are supposed to be some requirements about proof of the intention to return to canada? The thing is that by the time I got approved for PR there wouldnt be that long before we would leave to travel.

Honestly we dont know where we want to end up in the end, Australia or Canada.

3. Is it true that as long as we are travelling together that time can be counted as time in Canada? (apparently they have a system in Australia that does this). I know that PR requires 2 out of 5 years be spent in Canada?

Lastly Ive looked into doing this in Australia, the spousal visa there is 4600 dollars to start (for temporary) and after two years if you're still together you can get the permanent for another 1500 or so.

Im really just trying to get a feel for our options and any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks guys!

ps. let me know if I haven't explained something properly and I can clarify.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Which way to Jump?

Welcome!

I'll briefly respond to your questions, but will leave plenty of room for others to [hopefully] do so as well:

1. You can have your medical exam in Canada, as long as you use an approved CIC Panel Physician (list of which is available on the CIC website). You would only need to travel back home for an interview, if CIC has doubts about your relationship being genuine.

2. This may be a non-issue, because if you can apply soon, you should complete the entire process waaaaay before late 2016...maybe even late 2015 if you get busy!
The processing times shown on the CIC site are not very accurate, as they show the time frame for 80% of the applications. MANY of them are processed substantially faster!

3. Yes, after you become a PR of Canada, your time spent abroad with your sponsor/partner will count towards your PR Residency Obligation, provided that she is in fact a Canadian citizen.

Good luck!

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
Re: Which way to Jump?

Ponga said:
Welcome!

I'll briefly respond to your questions, but will leave plenty of room for others to [hopefully] do so as well:

1. You can have your medical exam in Canada, as long as you use an approved CIC Panel Physician (list of which is available on the CIC website). You would only need to travel back home for an interview, if CIC has doubts about your relationship being genuine.

2. This may be a non-issue, because if you can apply soon, you should complete the entire process waaaaay before late 2016...maybe even late 2015 if you get busy!
The processing times shown on the CIC site are not very accurate, as they show the time frame for 80% of the applications. MANY of them are processed substantially faster!

3. Yes, after you become a PR of Canada, your time spent abroad with your sponsor/partner will count towards your PR Residency Obligation, provided that she is in fact a Canadian citizen.

Good luck!
According to what I can see from your information you have the option of being in Canada with not much difficulty,
and also that you plan to travel by 2016.
I have the feeling that it will be better for you to wait for your application for permanent residence in Canada until
you have intentions to remain in Canada for a longer period of time.
Your application now may interfere with your traveling plans.

I also see that you have not decided if it will be you the one taking PR or it will be hers taking PR in Australia.
I honestly believe that it will be better for you to wait,
so you have enough time to clarify your intentions and make a solid decision.

I don't see any reason now to rush you application for PR in Canada for now.

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
HobbesOz said:
First off this forum is pretty incredible! Cheers!

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide what to do and im looking for some advice.

Im Australian on a working holiday visa, she is Canadian. My visa is freshly renewed and good until 2017.

We qualify for De-facto status here in Canada having lived together for 2 years.

We were thinking of applying for PR under the Common law sponsorship in Canada. We were looking at doing it as outland although we're both in Canada (because of the wait times and the fact we want to travel).

1. I previously had cancer and require yearly MRI scans (which I have been travelling home to Australia for). I have done this at my own expense and this hasn't prevented me from obtaining 2 working holiday visas. I was asked for a medical for the first one, but not for the renewal.

Im assuming if we were to apply I would have to travel back home to have a medical and interview? Is this likely?

2. My girlfriend and I both want to travel overseas for a year, leaving sometime in late 2016: How would this affect getting PR? I know there are supposed to be some requirements about proof of the intention to return to canada? The thing is that by the time I got approved for PR there wouldnt be that long before we would leave to travel.

Honestly we dont know where we want to end up in the end, Australia or Canada.

3. Is it true that as long as we are travelling together that time can be counted as time in Canada? (apparently they have a system in Australia that does this). I know that PR requires 2 out of 5 years be spent in Canada?

Lastly Ive looked into doing this in Australia, the spousal visa there is 4600 dollars to start (for temporary) and after two years if you're still together you can get the permanent for another 1500 or so.

Im really just trying to get a feel for our options and any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks guys!

ps. let me know if I haven't explained something properly and I can clarify.
I recently got my PR through the Sydney VO, total time for processing was just over 5 months. As long as you submit a complete application I can't imagine yours would be much different to that.

And as far as your previous cancer, it won't make a difference to your application, for spousal applications they remove the excessive demand requirement.

I would suggest you go ahead and apply, it is easier to apply while your sponsor is in Canada as you don't have a prove that you are going to moving back to Canada as part of your application, and has already been mentioned that your time spent living with Canadian citizen while outside of Canada still counts while you are out of the country. You won't get this if you don't get PR before you leave Canada to travel.

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks guys for the advice!

Great to know that our time travelling can be counted as time in Canada.

Kiwi123 thanks for the info on timing mate!

By the excessive demand you mean that they waive my medical history (and any potential for me costing their healthcare system?) Is that right?

Are there any links for good information on putting together a good application?

I guess I'll start looking into applying then thanks for the advice guys!

Cheers

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
One last question.

My girlfriend receives an "Benefits for children under 25" from the CPP monthly.

It's a small amount (about $200 a month). This is because of the death of her father in a car accident when she was a kid.

Does anyone know if this could disqualifies her as a sponsor?

Cheers guys

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
HobbesOz said:
One last question.

My girlfriend receives an "Benefits for children under 25" from the CPP monthly.

It's a small amount (about $200 a month). This is because of the death of her father in a car accident when she was a kid.

Cheers guys
Im not an expert but that doesn't sound like an issue, they only care about welfare.

kiwi123

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 9 2014
AOR Received.
SA - 27 August 2014
Med's Done....
5 July 2014
Passport Req..
2 Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18 Dec 2014
LANDED..........
15 Jan 2015
HobbesOz said:
By the excessive demand you mean that they waive my medical history (and any potential for me costing their healthcare system?) Is that right?

Are there any links for good information on putting together a good application?
Yes, they will only be concerned with public health issues when it comes to your medical, tb things like that.

Once you have completed all the forms you will just put them in order as per the checklist, it will all come together. But if you have any specific questions people on this forum can probably help.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HobbesOz said:
One last question.

Cheers guys
This will have no bearing on her eligibility as a sponsor.

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
That's great. Thanks so much guys for the helpful responses.

I guess I'll go and get started on it now!

Cheers

Will

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
HobbesOz said:
That's great. Thanks so much guys for the helpful responses.

I guess I'll go and get started on it now!

Cheers

Will
Now that your questions have been answered, I wanted to say how I enjoyed your use of "de facto". It's not in use that way in Canada, and it makes me think of Housos!

Applechunks

Star Member
Nov 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/30/2014
AOR Received.
AOR 12/24/14, SA 12/29/14
File Transfer...
Sydney 01/06/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10/07/2014, Meds received ECAS 01/06/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision made 3/6/15, PPR 3/31/15
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 04/27/15
LANDED..........
08/08/15
Hey Hobbes,
In case you're interested, I've just started a facebook group for Aussies going through the PR process/moving to Canada etc.

feel free to join us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/730074400442960/